1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
black talons are available for $17/50 at the range I go to

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nexd, your answer, while not viperous or rancorous was possibly pretentious and definately passive-aggressive and too....uhhhh......little, man. I'd be willing to bet he's looking for an online or local retail source. :D

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
jayw547 said:
Specifically 165 grain .40 RA40TA
Email this guy: [email protected]

He's a reliable and trustworthy source that supplies many people on GlockTalk, The Firing Line and The High Road.

Here are his latest posted prices:

RA380T - 380acp 95gr - $21.00
RA38110HP+ - 38 special 110gr+P+ - $18.50
RA9T - 9mm 147gr - $18.50
RA9TA - 9mm 127gr+P+ - $18.50
RA9124TP - 9mm 124gr+P - $19.00
RA40TA - 40s&w 165gr - $20.00
RA40T - 40s&w 180gr - $20.00
RA357SIGT - 357sig 125gr - $21.00
RA45T - 45acp 230gr - $22.00
RA45TP - 45acp 230gr+P - $22.00
RA223R - .223 55gr soft point - $10.00

brad cook

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
NExd said:
black talons are available for $17/50 at the range I go to
If you really think the modern Win. Ranger loads are the same as the old black talons then you've never compared the expanded bullets. Similar somewhat but definitely two different bullets.

brad cook

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
willbond said:
Nexd, your answer, while not viperous or rancorous was possibly pretentious and definately passive-aggressive and too....uhhhh......little, man. I'd be willing to bet he's looking for an online or local retail source. :D
They do mailorder too :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
what the heck are black talons and rangers??

·
Registered
281 Posts
Black talons were the original winchester line of Law Enforcement ammunition. They featured six petal design, nickel case, and were coated with lublox (or is it lubalox?) anti friction coating. They in no way shape or form actually defeat bullet proof armor - yet this was one of the huge arguements to end the line of the black talon. Another arguement was from surgeons saying they did not want to operate on a gun shot victim that had been shot with a talon, as it increased the risk of being pricked/cut open while removing the bullet and being exposed to diseases.

Moving along winchester dropped the black coating and now the Ranger T ammo is in its third revision of the black talon original design. Still features six pleats, nickel case, etc. One thing I have noticed about this "brass" is that its somewhat weak. I split a few cases reloading them - they had only been fired once before. Somewhat odd. Other cases are doing fine.

The SXT line is a eight petal design. It works no where near as good as the 6 petal design Ranger T and black talon. It should be noted, that Ranger T and black talon are marked as Law Enforcement Ammunition, the case says Law Enforcement Only ammunition etc. Winchester says it is perfectly legal to purchase and own this ammo. BUT, the dealer can lose its distributorship if found selling to civilians only. Their thinking is they want LE's to have first crack at the ammo, not joe schmoe.

As Brad mentioned, contact Jerry Kirkpatrick. He is reliable and a pleasure to do business with. I believe he accepts checks and money orders. Tell him how much ammo you want and your zip code so he can quote you the price with shipping.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
LCPL_IZZY said:
can anyone cvouch for Georgia Arms ammo? they load 9mm speer gold dot for pretty cheap.
i'm regularly buying 5.56 from them and never had a problem with it. good, reliable stuff

·
Registered
281 Posts
http://www.doubletapammo.com

That would be another option. I havent tried the .357 SIG ammo or the .40 yet, but the 10mm is something fierce. Looks like the .40 will launch at 1200 FPS out of a 4" barrel. Sounds pretty good to me. Think I need to order up some .357 SIG and see how I like that.

Doubletap ammo uses the speer gold dot and a custom low flash powder for anyone wondering.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
well are they ammo that you can get at "every corner gun store" or are they some phantom leo ammo

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
well are they ammo that you can get at "every corner gun store" or are they some phantom leo ammo
You should be able to find them if you look around a little.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
[email protected]

Jerry keeps a regular supply and is a great guy to deal with. I will go back to him for more. Great communications. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ctkelly said:
The SXT line is a eight petal design. It works no where near as good as the 6 petal design Ranger T and black talon. It should be noted, that Ranger T and black talon are marked as Law Enforcement Ammunition, the case says Law Enforcement Only ammunition etc. Winchester says it is perfectly legal to purchase and own this ammo. BUT, the dealer can lose its distributorship if found selling to civilians only. Their thinking is they want LE's to have first crack at the ammo, not joe schmoe.

That is quite odd. All of the boxes of my SXT are of the 6-petal design. I have the 127gr 9mm and 230gr 45ACP +P. I don;t know where you are getting 8 petals from.

-Dana

1 - 20 of 42 Posts