Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, can't find better dep. to post this question: where can I buy dummy rounds that look and feel like real ones, kind of like an actual cartridge but without powder and primer? I need this so I can mix it with live ammo and so during shooting sessions I will randomly hit dummy rounds and can observe if I am flinching. Can someone who reload sell me couple of those?
I do have those red aluminum and plastic dummy rounds but they feel very different to the touch than live ammo, i want it to be as close to real feel as possible.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
You are indeed over thinking the issue...:roll:

How do they feel different if they are loaded in a mag and being cycled though the pistol?

Spring loaded primer dummy rounds or snap caps are your best bet.
They protect your firing pin from going forward into nothing.

Do a Google search for "Tipton Snap Caps" in the caliber of your choice...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I dont think this is a good idea.

What happens if there is a failure to fire in one of the rounds thats NOT the dummy.

I would stick with REAL dummys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are indeed over thinking the issue...:roll:

How do they feel different if they are loaded in a mag?

Spring loaded primer dummy rounds or snap caps are your best bet.
They protect your firing pin from going forward into nothing.

Do a Google search for "Tipton Snap Caps" in the caliber of your choice...
Well, I hold them with thumb+pointing+middle fingers, preparing to load into magazine, and receptors on the skin of my fingertips tell my brain that it is either anodized aluminum or plastic material of a different weight that is differ from actual live round. I think for the "work horse" pistols most of us take to range to train, snap caps is an overkill, my opinion, at least I am not worrying about such thing. Well, and I also have reinforced striker retention pin.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

What happens if there is a failure to fire in one of the rounds thats NOT the dummy.

If that happens, then I will eject the dud, visually inspect it and if it has primer with or without a dent, then it will mean that it was not the dummy, I will reload it into mag and try firing it again. If upon inspection I will discover that that was a non-live round, I will pocket it and reuse again later.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Well, I hold them with thumb+pointing+middle fingers, preparing to load into magazine, and receptors on the skin of my fingertips tell my brain that it is either anodized aluminum or plastic material of a different weight that is differ from actual live round. I think for the "work horse" pistols most of us take to range to train, snap caps is an overkill, my opinion, at least I am not worrying about such thing. Well, and I also have reinforced striker retention pin.
Have someone else load your mags...
Or you can load 3 or 4 of your mags with different ratios and then not know where the snap caps are.

Or use and Uplua loader and don't count your rounds as you load them into the mag.
Probably too much to ask with your obvious OCD issues..:(

Again, you're over thinking the issue...:roll:

And welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The reason dummy rds don't look real, is so you do not accidentally drop a live rd in when you don't want it. The paper target is your guide to wether you flinch or not. Stick yo hat, get some professional training, practice.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yeah... I'm with these guys. Dummies should look different. You could, if you reload, make up some with no primer and a regular bullet, but I would paint them, at least on the base and mark the bullets so you can visually know the difference. It is not a good idea to have dummies that look too much like live rounds.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you only have 1 mag? Just use regular snap caps and mix your mags up so you don't know wh were they are.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts

you would perform the exact same clearance procedure, that's what would happen.

I think this is a fantastic idea. you wouldn't know the dummy rounds from any others, and it would be truly blind. Loading the dummy rounds you KNOW are dummy gives you some expectation on when you'll arrive at that round. defeats the purpose.

I'll sell you some, what do you need? brass case copper FMJ Ball?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Being the OP is so tactile sensitive, he would probably notice the lighter weight of the dummy rounds having no powder.
So you might want to put some kind of filler in the empty case.
I also think he would notice the lack of a primer or the mark of a used primer in a dummy round.

A spring loaded snap cap would be the way to go IMHO...

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Being the OP is so tactile sensitive, he would probably notice the lighter weight of the dummy rounds having no powder.
So you might want to put some kind of filler in the empty case.
I also think he would notice the lack of a primer or the mark of a used primer in a dummy round.

A spring loaded snap cap would be the way to go IMHO...
7gr? like hell...

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
So what happens when your striker hits the primer cap that has been hit before? Won't the striker hit the inside of the channel just like if there was nothing in the chamber?

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
So what happens when your striker hits the primer cap that has been hit before? Won't the striker hit the inside of the channel just like if there was nothing in the chamber?
it would have to go through the primer to do that.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Once you have dummy fired it a few times, isn't that in effect what you are doing? The dimple from the striker will only get bigger/deeper with each impact and eventually it will shape to the striker and no longer make contact.

Or am I just totally ignorant on the reloading process and it's components? I do shoot a Glock after all.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You could reload a few with out the powder and put some caulk in the primer hole to cushion the striker, just make sure to clean off excess. Then once its assembled you can paint the tip a different color (orange perhaps) to identify it as a dummy round. Then you still get the feel of real ammunition to trip your brain and you can load them in with out looking (at least I can) and then shoot to your hearts content.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
You could reload a few with out the powder and put some caulk in the primer hole to cushion the striker, just make sure to clean off excess. Then once its assembled you can paint the tip a different color (orange perhaps) to identify it as a dummy round. Then you still get the feel of real ammunition to trip your brain and you can load them in with out looking (at least I can) and then shoot to your hearts content.
could just put a black stripe across the base of the case.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Get a girlfriend. Then you'll have a helper to randomly load mags with snap caps ... and you'll have sex so you won't be so worried about things.

Just could not resist. Back to serious advise - as others have posted - dummy rounds look different so that users don't confuse live with dummy, that could be first step down path to accident. For practice, once in mag you won't feel difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts