Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been cleaning up my Winchester 71 (inherited from my grandfather who bought it new in 1936), but I'm not able to find many places to buy ammo for this rifle. What I am finding is stuff that is $60 or more for a box of 20. Anyone have any sources?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, after more searching, I guess that's the going rate for this caliber. Maybe I should invest in reloading equipment soon.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Or maybe a new caliber? No offense intended at all...the 348 Win is a good short-range deer/elk cartridge and for a brush gun, but it is one of those that has sort of died out in more recent yeats and nobody is really still marketing ammo and components for it. You can find (sometimes) Winchester 200gr factory loads for it for around $45/box of 20, but again...they are tough to find.

Even reloading supplies, not to mention dies for that caliber, can be limited. There are only four or five bullets that I know of for the 348 and unless you have a supply of brass, you will likely pay at least $0.65/case. Same deal for bullets...you are probably looking at $0.35/bullet give or take. Before you pay for primers or throw a single powder charge, you are already at roughly $1.00/round...not to mention the cost of the reloading equipment if you don't already have a setup. After you recoup your setup costs, you might be saving yourself at least half if not 2/3 of the cost on the .348 Win ammo.

If you have a Bass Pro or a Cabelas anywhere near you, you might give them a try and see if they carry any ammo for the 348 WCF.

Good luck to you, sir.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense taken. This is not my only rifle, nor is it my main rifle. But it is too nice a rifle to get rid of and I don't see the point of having something laying around that I've never shot.

So, I might end up getting some reloading stuff, as that would ease the sting of all my ammo purchases.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The other possibility I forgot to mention is any of your local gunshows. I inevitably run across all sorts of peculiar ammo at my local shows. Even if it is older, as long as it is not reloaded, does not appear to be tarnished/corroded, and is in overall good condition, you may be able to pick up a heck of a deal there.

I bought four boxes (80 rounds) of 510gr SP Winchester factory loads for my .458 Win Mag at a local show for $110 earlier this year. The .458 is still a very commercially available load, but usually the "cheap" crap runs $70/box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been cleaning up my Winchester 71 (inherited from my grandfather who bought it new in 1936), but I'm not able to find many places to buy ammo for this rifle. What I am finding is stuff that is $60 or more for a box of 20. Anyone have any sources?
Hi i have 2 boxes silvertip 200 grain expanding bullet $25 a box. If interested let me know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts