Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to build a new upper to my specs using a mega upper that I ordered last night. Im looking to get a 16" chrome lined barrel offering HBAR or heavy profile, M4 feed ramps, all in a 1/7" twist???

I really dont want to settle for a 1/9" twist barrel, though from my browsing of the net, I may have to.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
As far as I know, the 1/9 twist offers the best performance in an AR for both the .223 and the 5.56x45 round. I'm assuming this is why most all AR's are sold with a 1/9 twist barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im looking for the 1/7" twist for my own reasons. One of them being that it will be able to stabilize heavier bullets (75grain range) better than the 1/9"

Thanks though. I think Im going to be calling Bushmaster tomorrow. I think they might be my best bet. I just want to make sure I get M4 ramps also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Im looking for the 1/7" twist for my own reasons. One of them being that it will be able to stabilize heavier bullets (75grain range) better than the 1/9"

Thanks though. I think Im going to be calling Bushmaster tomorrow. I think they might be my best bet. I just want to make sure I get M4 ramps also.
CMMG sells 1:7 twist barrels and LMT too (I think... don't feel like checking right now :-D). Model 1 Sales has at least one gov't profile barrel in 1:7 as well.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CMMG sells 1:7 twist barrels and LMT too (I think... don't feel like checking right now :-D). Model 1 Sales has at least one gov't profile barrel in 1:7 as well.
Thanks for the heads up! I will be on the phone with them tomorrow

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I will be on the phone with them tomorrow
Best of luck finding one in stock. I have been trying to get my hands on a barrel (lightweight) for a while and everyone is quoting me 10+ weeks. RRA actually said that they are not shipping barrels for the indefinite future.

nateroach

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called CMMG and they were out of stock. Only asked about the heavy profile though. Bushmaster has no power currently, so I am not able to get in contact with their sales or customer service department. I have a feeling though, that they will be out of stock as well. I think I will probably just end up placing a back-order with Bushmaster and waiting for it. I like their barrels. good quality, nice ramps, accurate. I will have a bit more building to do to the upper before I will need the barrel, so I guess I can wait. Good thing I have my 20" AR for the meantime.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
check out the EE at ar15.com

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked all of those. The Noveske is REALLY tempting, but I just cant bring myself to spend $450 on a barrel.

I guess my best option for a government HBAR profile in a 1/7" twist with chrome lining and M4 ramps is going to be Bushmaster. Hell at this point, Im even willing to settle for 1/9, but I havent been looking for long. I guess Im just a very impatient person when it comes to buying new stuff.

Thanks for all your suggestions. If anyone happens across one, I would be extremely appreciative if you could shoot me a heads up.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I checked all of those. The Noveske is REALLY tempting, but I just cant bring myself to spend $450 on a barrel.

I guess my best option for a government HBAR profile in a 1/7" twist with chrome lining and M4 ramps is going to be Bushmaster. Hell at this point, Im even willing to settle for 1/9, but I havent been looking for long. I guess Im just a very impatient person when it comes to buying new stuff.

Thanks for all your suggestions. If anyone happens across one, I would be extremely appreciative if you could shoot me a heads up.

NOOOO, not you!?

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks UB, but Ive kinda given up on the 1/7" idea. Just cant find them anywhere in 16" with all the other features I need so I ordered a Del-Ton barrel kit with a wilson barrel. Everything else I need, minus the 1/7...

Oh well... Its a compromise, but its not something that I have to live with forever. If I find a nice 1/7 barrel later on with everything else that I want, I can always tear everything down and swap it in. PITA I know, but I kinda enjoy it!

I kinda went "nuts" at del-ton... Oh well... At least my bolt and carrier will be easier to clean now! ;)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
that sounds good, what YHM 4 rail is it coming with? i.e lightweight, regular, diamond

dont forget pics when you get it

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I opted for the regular. Im still on a budget, and the lightweight put me just over budget.

I can always swap later if necessary.

I will be sure to take photos. Maybe I will document the upper assembly process.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would not get too hung up on the 1/7 rifling. 1/7 is actually too fast of a spin for light weight bullets. For the range of ammo I can buy locally, 1/8 or 1/9 is probably better.

You might have a long long wait on anything from Del-Ton. I ordered some small items from them a month ago and now the order is in Limbo, processing and unshipped but cannot be altered. They have a long backlog.

My local shop just got in Stag complete uppers and complete lowers priced at full MSRP. There was a Stag 2HT complete upper with Samson free float quad rail that I know is very nice as I have a complete 2T. The Stag lower parts and ARMS 40-L BUIS were not so good on my 2T, but the rest of the complete Stag upper is very nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts