Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to ask a few questions to the members, and to see if I could get some good ideas.

1) Where in the house do you keep your XD?

2) How is it placed there, in a holster? just lying there?

3) Do you keep the magazine loaded with rounds in the pistol or do you keep the magazine "nearby" such as next to it or somewhere eles?

4) And also, if you do keep your magazine fully loaded and in the pistol, is the pistol "hot" as well? Or do you just plan on chambering it when needed?

I am trying to figure out the best way to keep my pistol in the house. Keep in mind, I have a little nephew (3 years old) who comes over alot. Also, I live with two woman who have never operated a pistol before, and plan on never doing so (they are against guns :cry: )

Right now, I have...

1) The pistol in the closet.

2) In the pocket of a jacket.

3) Magazine is loaded, but not in the pistol. The magazine is kept high so no one short can reach it.

4) XD is not hot, never.

I was thinking of getting aholster, and nailing it high on the wall somewhere (on the other side of a closet door, above the door maybe?), maybe sideways. Then I could keep the XD 15+1.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I keep mone in an IWB holster next to my bed in the bedside stand, or on my waiste. No kids here (just me and my gun owning roomate) so we keep our weapons loaded.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i dont have any young ones to worry about so...

1) if i'm not sleeping its on my hip.

2)when i sleep its NOT in a holster. it stays on my nightstand where i can access it fast. my gun is always loaded.

3) my gun is always loaded. (first rule, all guns are always loaded... might as well keep it that way)

4) my gun is always loaded.

i feel sorry for your living situation bud.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I am sorry, that information is not available at your clearance level.

Guys, why not just shout out to the whole world if you are easy to break into and get a free gun? Seriously, should we be letting anyone who can read this forum how and where we keep our guns?

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I just recently moved my HS2000 to a new location. It was in the drawer of my nightstand. Now the loaded pistol, a spare loaded mag and flashlight are on top of my range bag under my bed, easily within reach.
The range bag stays full of ammo, ear protection, pistol rugs etc and makes a nice platform for my gun to lay on top of when it is zipped up.

I didn't want to have to risk making noise opening the drawer of my nightstand if I needed my gun in the middle of the night.

No kids at the house, wife won't touch it.

bd

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Condition 1 in a quick-open flat safe on a dresser in my bedroom that's tall enough (4' ft) so that my 2-yr old boy can't get to it. Even if he did somehow reach it, he'd have to get lucky with the combination.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
manygunner said:

Guys, why not just shout out to the whole world if you are easy to break into and get a free gun? Seriously, should we be letting anyone who can read this forum how and where we keep our guns?
Even if someone is dedicated enough to get my address and break in when I'm not home, how will this assist them? Even if they didn't know, all they'd have to do is search the house. At any rate, that's just where 1 thing in my house is located...

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
manygunner said:

I think most crooks take it for granted that if there is a gun in the house it will be in the nightstand.

bd

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
manygunner said:

:lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a small-ish safe with keypad entry right next to the bed. Inside you'll find my XD9 with the action open and a full magazine next to it. I thought a lot about whether or not I'd be able to get to it in time if the need arises, but I have a (not so) killer lab that raises hell with the slightest noise from anywhere outside the house. It's annoying but I still praise her everytime. So long as someone doesn't come crashing through my second story bedroom window, I think I'll have plenty of time to open the safe (which I practice in the dark), and make the gun ready.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
manygunner said:

I guess you have a point, but if someone is going to break into your house, they are bound to find the gun unless it is locked away, in which they will try very hard to break into the lock anyway. And also, if they know somoene has a gun, I'm not so sure they are willing to be in that situation where they may be shot down if someone is in the house. And also, if no one is home and since most on this forum do carry, that particular weapon would be out of the house anyway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The gun is in a key locked safe next to my bed. Magazine in but not cocked. I have four kids so during the day when I'm at work it is locked and the key in my pocket. When I go to bed I unlock it and lock it again when I wake up. I currently don't keep it cocked but may change my mind. I figured if I don't hear someone in the house until they're in my room, making a grap for the gun ain't gonna happen anyway. I think racking your slide may be a deterrent to the thief when he hears that in the stillness of the night. Keeping it uncocked gives me just a little more piece of mind should a kid get hold of it somehow. Mine are little enough that they couldn't get it cocked anyway.

I also keep a .22 Ruger in there and will toss that to my wife after I get mine out.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
All of my non competition handguns stay loaded at all times. I store them in a small safe in my room that has a digital keypad and i rotate carrying them. At night, one of them is very near me. One is almost always on my person, when im home or when im gone. You will have to take a guess on when it may not be on my person though.
Do you feel lucky?8)

·
Registered
143 Posts
bd said:
No kids at the house, wife won't touch it.
yeah, that is usually needed to have kids :)

ok, i can tell it is a friday... </thread hijack>

back on topic, why would you not put the gun in a safe if you have the possibilities of children coming over? The electronic safes that people have been discussing here are <$60 and fit into the nightstand, is it the time to access and/or noise factors?

·
Registered
244 Posts
xd9 on the nightstand by my finace, cocked and loaded but in a holster pointing toward a window for her peace of mind. :roll: 12ga Mossberg leaning against the bed on my side, with the safety on (her peace of mind again), fully loaded but not cocked--i want the last thing the intruder to hear to be that frightening pump action noise! :shock:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I keep several fully loaded pistols in a quick access safe. There's no way kids are getting into the safe, so there's no reason to unload the guns.

Also in the safe is a full spare magazine for each pistol, and probably the most important item is a very bright Scorpion flashlight. Putting the flashlight in the safe ensures that the wife or kids don't take it and lose it or drain the batteries.

A loaded firearm is frequently on my person, also.

With kids I think you absolutely have to lock up guns. Kids are curious and it's guaranteed that they will snoop and find any guns and ammo you hide. Quick access safes are very quick and vastly safer if there are kids around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I keep mine next to the bed with a wall mounted trigger lock with a push button combo. I think it is made by Mag-Loc. I purchased it from Pistol-Gear a couple months back but I don't see it on his site anymore. Mag in but not Hot. I think it is great. I feel secure that noone can access it and that it's ready available if I need it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine is with Ajames getting a refinish job. Beyond that, it is on my person, along with my p3at backup. Ocassionally, the p3at rides alone, but not often. Hey, the permit says licence to carry, says nothing about how many...Both run hot and full (no kids in the house).
The wifes ruger is by the bed, clip full, in the gun, but not chambered. The shotty is by the bed chambered with safety on.
If someone wants to rob my house, expecially to take the guns, I wish them the very best of luck. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts