Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took apart a Mossberg 500 to replace the factory wood forearm with a poly forearm. The slide tube nut was SUPER tight but finally came off. It was not treated with Loctite, just overtightened so that it deformed the threads on both tube and nut. I unscrewed the nut correctly (lefty loosy, counterclockwise), but now I need to order replacement parts.

I've shot a lot but haven't done much 'smithing. I shopped online a bit, I know of several reputable companies, but I would like some feedback from you experienced folks as to where y'all prefer to shop. Customer service/satisfaction is a primary issue for me.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
You can find old parts on ebay. New ones from brownells.com

Make sure to measure and order the right length.

If you still have that wood forend I might be interested in buying it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answers...I hadn't considered theBay. A friend of mine likes Brownells and Midway. This gun has the 7 5/8" slide tube.

I have the original forearm but hadn't thought of selling it. Hmmm...

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Why not Mossberg? Did I miss something? I have found them easy to deal with in the past and they may hook you up for free.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That makes sense since I have a model 500AG. The forearm has checkering on both sides unlike the Mossberg Regal I had 20 years ago which had checkering on the bottom. That whole gun was a nice piece of art, sold long ago when I needed money. <sigh>

My new poly black forearm looks like the pic. For now I installed it on the slide tube anyway. I tightened the nut as far as it would go; no rattles or movement. Cycling the action hard does not give the impression that it's going to come off easily, but I haven't fired it yet. I figure I'll keep it that way and if I ever want to go back to wood I'll get another tube & nut.

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
That makes sense since I have a model 500AG. The forearm has checkering on both sides unlike the Mossberg Regal I had 20 years ago which had checkering on the bottom. That whole gun was a nice piece of art, sold long ago when I needed money. <sigh>

My new poly black forearm looks like the pic. For now I installed it on the slide tube anyway. I tightened the nut as far as it would go; no rattles or movement. Cycling the action hard does not give the impression that it's going to come off easily, but I haven't fired it yet. I figure I'll keep it that way and if I ever want to go back to wood I'll get another tube & nut.

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Any time...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts