Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first pistol(XD40SC)
I purchased it mainly for home protection, and will get my Kansas CCL in the next couple months.

We live in a good area, but have had an occasion incident over the past few years with people(usually drunk or high on something) from the "questionable" apartment complex a block away coming into our private community, and a few have entered a house or two.

I work from home and my office is in the front of the house by the front door and the bedroom is in the back. My question is....

Where do you guys keep your weapon for quick access when at home???
I realize that the best answer is on your hip, but that just seems a little excess(and the girlfriend would flip out). Right now, I have to move the gun room to room with me throughout the house, then put in in my nightstand at night, and hide it when I leave the house. It is just becoming a pain. I'm looking for ideas.

My girlfriend is not confident enough to use it if something were to happen when she is home alone, so that is why I hide/lock it when I am not home. I don't really want to holster it all day(I usually wear gym shorts while at home) and I don't want to be purchasing guns to place throughout the house. I realize there may not be a simple solution to this. I just want to know other people's practices. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
You don't want a holster, so you're kind of stuck doing what you do. It's not excess to always have a firearm with you. I do remember seeing some magnets that mount under desks and stuff, but anytime a firearm is not on your person, you risk not having it with you when you need it. These people made you consider getting a firearm and to plan this out, so why not keep it with you?

·
Registered
969 Posts
yeah I have had the same question too....

I was sitting on my couch one night with my wife and one or her friends was over.

it was about 10:30 at night and all of a sudden this guy just walks right into my apartment. he was so non chalant (sp) about it that I thought my wifes friend invited him or something. He literally just walked into my house thinking it was his friends by accident. anyway, I would have had to go by the front door (where the guy was) to get to my bedroom to get my gun (which would have been impossible) if the guy was an actual intruder. eye opening situation.

point being.... I just make sure all my doors are locked even when I am home. that drops the odds for me enough to only have the XD in the nightstand.

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
One under the couch. One on top of the fridge, one in the shed, one in the garage, one in the nightstand, one in the medicine cabinet.....

Let me think more.

The one on my hip.

The ones in the safe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first pistol, and my family and girlfriend are very unfamiliar/scared of gun. Not that it is a bad thing, and I probably will very soon, fall into that stereotype of the person that carries everywhere and seems to be overly obsessed with safety, even while at home.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
the magnet thing is what i did when i'm sitting at my desk. i also took the XD holster that came with the gun and zip tied it to my desk chair as another option because i had no use for it. ill post a pic of the magnet set up i have for you. in 1 min

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One under the couch. One on top of the fridge, one in the shed, one in the garage, one in the nightstand, one in the medicine cabinet.....

Let me think more.

The one on my hip.

The ones in the safe.
OK, so that leads me to my next question... so if someone broke into your home, they hit the jackpot! Should I lock mine(or my multiple guns) in a safe every time I leave home?

When my great uncle was too old to move around quickly, he kept a loaded gun every 10ft or less in his house for easy access.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
This is my first pistol, and my family and girlfriend are very unfamiliar/scared of gun. Not that it is a bad thing, and I probably will very soon, fall into that stereotype of the person that carries everywhere and seems to be overly obsessed with safety, even while at home.

Thanks for the responses!
This can be overcome with education. Although it might be a little big for your girlfriend to start out on, take her to the range, rent a .22 and most importantly, educate. She'll be out shooting you in no time!

OK, so that leads me to my next question... so if someone broke into your home, they hit the jackpot! Should I lock mine(or my multiple guns) in a safe every time I leave home?

When my great uncle was too old to move around quickly, he kept a loaded gun every 10ft or less in his house for easy access.
Yes, lock them up or keep it with you.

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts

My stash guns are el cheapos to get me to my safe. I have a single shot in the garage. Rusty 20 gauge. I think I got it off a friend for $60.00. Hey better than nothing if you get caught in the garage without anything else on you.

My good stuff is in a big safe.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
What, you mean "House Gun?":mrgreen: Generally I keep a .357 in the dresser, unloaded but with two speedloaders near by. I have my rifle and .22 pistol upstairs, but my XD lives on my hip 90% of the time, at home or not, then sleeps in the same drawer as the revolver. If you are that concerned about not being able to get to the part of your house your gun is in, I would recommend carrying it. Agreed, it seems like overkill at first, but you'll get used to it, and your girl, once educated, will come to appreciate the comfort as well. Also, since you've already stated that you plan on getting your CHL, I'd suggest getting a good IWB holster now, so you can wear it around the house concealed for "practice." That way when you do get your CHL, you'll already be confident and comfortable carrying it. This may also help calm your girl's nerves. Out of sight, out of mind. One last thing, since this is your first gun, I'd strongly reccommend you get some sort of training with it, even if it's just a friend with some experience. No point in having a gun if you can't use it well when the time comes. BTW, welcome to the forum! Stick around, learn, and have fun!

.02 from Rickett.

TOTP for House Gun

·
Registered
146 Posts
"Where do you keep your "home" pistol? "

Within reach.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I keep mine in my safe. My AR15 sits next to my bed though. :lol:

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
My gun is everwhere I am. When I watch TV, its on the coffee table at arms reach. When I go to bed its on the dresser next to me. All my other guns are in the safe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!

I am just about to call and sign up for a 3 hour education class, which includes a membership to the local range.

I did purchase a IWB holster that I will be wearing around the house, most of the time.

I guess once I get my CCL, it won't be too much of an issue since the gun will almost alway be on me. True, I do need to get the girlfriend acquainted with guns, so she isn't scared.

I will be looking into a homemade magnet for my desk and nightstand.

PS: When I got into photography, I was warned that buying accessories and lenses was an addiction.... but buying guns my be an even bigger one. :eek:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
what i did was gorilla glue a magnet to the side of my desk, then cover it with cloth so it wouldn't scratch my gun. as you can see it holds it very well. you could go with ZAA-105 - Fast Holster Magnetic Nonmarring Hide Weapons Speedy "Draw" Super Strong Magnet with Special Coating thats $30, or you could use your own magnet like i did which is obv cheaper. i also put one behind my night stand. also i dont leave it there when im not in my room, then i holster it on my hip.
You do realize that you have now reversed the polarity in the lead of your bullets so they will fire in reverse out the back of the slide? Thought that would be good to know.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have one that remains in my living room within 5 feet or less of me wherever I sit. The one I carry is either on my TV or on my hip. In the bedroom I have a shotgun within reach and a handgun within reach. When i go to the garage I take one with me. When I had my mini-farm, I always left one in my garage and one in my chicken coupe.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
You do realize that you have now reversed the polarity in the lead of your bullets so they will fire in reverse out the back of the slide? Thought that would be good to know.
LOL! That's a serious problem right there!

·
Registered
267 Posts
One for each room

·
Registered
69 Posts
On me during the day, on the bedstand at night. The family is used to seeing me carrying around the house.

Walker

1 - 20 of 65 Posts