Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been checking online for 7.62x54r ammo for my mosin I'm bringing home in a few days, and was looking at surplus 440rd "sardine cans" but I understand alllll that stuff is corrosive. So I was just wondering where you guys get yours from? Online? Or does your local range stock em? Seems to be I can get one of those cans for around 80 bucks give or take 10 bucks. Big 5 stocks ammo on the shelves for 15 bucks for 20 rounds. Don't remember the brand name, but it was new factory ammo. Not surplus stuff. I'm not concerned about the corrosiveness, but just wondering if there is something I should stay away from or things I should lean towards. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
734 Posts
My local gun shop (Utah) has the surplus 20 round pack for $4.99, the 440 tin for $99 (no add'l shipping cost) and the new for about a buck a round. I'd go with the surplus.

btw: that shop just received 20 crates of Mosins

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
So I've been checking online for 7.62x54r ammo for my mosin I'm bringing home in a few days, and was looking at surplus 440rd "sardine cans" but I understand alllll that stuff is corrosive. So I was just wondering where you guys get yours from? Online? Or does your local range stock em? Seems to be I can get one of those cans for around 80 bucks give or take 10 bucks. Big 5 stocks ammo on the shelves for 15 bucks for 20 rounds. Don't remember the brand name, but it was new factory ammo. Not surplus stuff. I'm not concerned about the corrosiveness, but just wondering if there is something I should stay away from or things I should lean towards. Thanks guys!
From my reloading bench!

don

·
Premium Member
127,424 Posts
I buy Wolf ammo at our monthly local gun show.

·
Registered
747 Posts
From my basement. Gotta love reloading.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't be afraid of the surplus stuff. I've fired Czech, Polish, Romanian and Russian Light Ball (147 gr) surplus with no problems in either of my Mosins. Some people say they have better success with ammo from one source over another. Check ammoengine or gun-deals.com for pricing. Sportsmansguide is a good source, especially when they offer their free shipping deal. Clean it/neutralize the salts after shooting and it will probably last another hundres years. I was amazed at how accurate these rifles are, they shoot better than I can see!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Reloading is the only way to go! That is where I get my ammo!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called a few wallys in my town only one of them had em (the farthest one, of course). A few brands. But they were awfully expensive compared to the surplus stuff. It was like 15 bucks for 20 rounds. And 23 bucks for 40 rounds. The guy said they had wolf, winchester, and remmington. I have no brand preference, but damn those are expensive! Or maybe that's normal pricing for nib?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Local gun shop. They have both corrosive and non-corrosive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Schoentown said:
Clean it/neutralize the salts after shooting and it will probably last another hundres years.
How do I do that?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Some of our local farm super stores have Mosin's and spam cans. $99.99 for either.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma

73 something for a 440 can and about 16 bucks shipping. I opted to spring the extra 4 bucks for signature shipping and insurance.total about 96 and change out the door! best deal I found online! nobody local had em. I pick up my gun on weds and can tear it down and clean it while I wait for the ammo!! YIPPEE!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts