Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard again and again that this is one of the best personal defense rounds and that many police agencies use it, but I tell you what I cannot find it anywhere I have been to 5 different gun stores in the last week and several online sites and I cannot find any. So what gives? This is suppose to be a great type of ammo... so why does noone carry it in stores? Does speer know how much they are losing in sales everyday, all people seem to buy is federal and remington b/c that is about all people have in stock these days.

So... do any of you know of a website I can buy this ammo from? I have looked at ammoman.com and cheaperthandirt.com and neither of them have it, but they do have some of speers other offerings. Most websites are not very easy to use at these online stores and it takes forever just to find what you are looking for... so where should I try to look for these? I want a site with a good reputation and decent prices.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You know I was wondering this very same thing just today!

A friend recommended this site: www.natchezss.com to me and they have the Speer Gold Dots apparently here.

However, I was still wary about this because it says that price is for a box of 100 and at $9.92 that seems too low to be right. Maybe it is, though. Note that the picture there is not of the same product linked to. Anyone know about that?

Does Academy carry this stuff?

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
dolanp said:
You know I was wondering this very same thing just today!

A friend recommended this site: www.natchezss.com to me and they have the Speer Gold Dots apparently here.

However, I was still wary about this because it says that price is for a box of 100 and at $9.92 that seems too low to be right. Maybe it is, though. Note that the picture there is not of the same product linked to. Anyone know about that?
You are looking at bullets..............not loaded ammunition. Natchez does sell this ammo.

Look here:

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?c...&prodID=CC23617&CFID=1279914&CFTOKEN=88305314

$11.55 per box of 20.

Natchez is a very good company to do business with.

bd

·
Registered
782 Posts
bd said:
You are looking at bullets..............not loaded ammunition. Natchez does sell this ammo.
Ah... that makes more sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Boy, shipping on one box costs almost as much as the ammo itself. :?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
[quoteYou are looking at bullets..............not loaded ammunition.[/quote]

I am not sure what this means. I am glad you mentioned it, because I would probably have made a mistake.

When you say bullets, what does that mean? I am taking this to mean that "bullets" are the projectile, vs. Ammo which is the bullet in the casing?

Raymond

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed that the boxes pictured are a differnet color that the boxes I usually see for speer ammo. usually the boxes are like black and gold and purple... is one of the boxes just the older design or do they just use 2 different boxes? Also, I heard that speer has some of this ammo that they had trouble with and as such gave it to some distributors at a reduced price b/c it was not top notch, do any of you know how to identify this stuff and/or avoid it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there a Ballistics report on the Gold-Dot and if so where it can be found. Would like to know the penetration of the ammo during tests. Thanks!!

Bill.......

·
Registered
242 Posts
The second rate Gold Dots should be identified as "reclassified" and/or "not for law enforcement use".

FWIW, the Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +p performs virtually identically to the Speer Gold Dots. So if you can't find the GDs, you could carry the GSs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know that Doc Roberts stated that the Gold Dot ammo was good stuff, so that's enough for me. ;)

I don't remember the average penetration it got, but I know it exceeded the FBI minimum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Captain Ray: The bullet is the projectile itself, the combination of the bullet, shell casing, powder, primer etc. is referred to as a round. Dictionary.com has pretty much that same definition for ammunition but i think ammo is more of a generic term for a collection or supply of rounds.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
mullanman said:
ammoman.com 169$ for 1000 shipped i believe.
last i checked, +p was soldout

1 - 16 of 16 Posts