Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should ask myself this question because I have never been in this "room"! Wonder why no posts? IDPA and etc are alive and well and yet now posts here.
What's the opine of the XD 9 for IDPA shooting? I just received one for my birthday on June 11th and haven't had the chance to shoot with it competitively yet. So lemme' know what you have experienced. :confused:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I shoot mine about half the time alternating between CDP with a 1911 and ESP with an XD9. I'm about to start shooting SSP with an S&W 686 and when I get around to it I'm going to get me a gun to shoot SSP with too. I actualy shoot better times and scres with the 1911 but,I've been shooting one for the last fortysomething years. I like the XD for a competition gun and with night sights it really rocks and with +P 124 gr. Golden Sabers and hi cap mags it is an awesome carry gun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yoooooooo MoJo man; what kind of setup are you using for the XD? Holster, mag pouches, etc?

I've ordered a Sidearmor IWB but no pouches yet...very few suppliers for the pouches exist. I shoot IDPA with a G30, or a Ruger .357 4" GP100, or now this XD 9. Everyone kids me when I use a pistol..."hey, where's the cylinder on that Glock"?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been shooting IDPA for amost a year. About 9 matches so far. The XD is my first and only pistol so that is all I have used for IDPA. I really enjoy the sport; so much that I am now our club treasurer and have also started to design some COFs.

As far as shooting the XD in IDPA goes, I love it. Our last match was a classifier and although I missed moving up to SS from MM by a mere 1.8 seconds I can't blame the gun. It has been flawless. The thing I enjoyed most at our last match was watching a couple of our local Sheriff's deputies have a series of jams with their Glocks. I outshot all but two of the 36 shooters we had. Granted I have been practicing hard for this match but the XD has responded very well and shoots as well as I can make it.

We ususally have 4 or 5 XD's at our matches and they tend to be some of the more accurate shooters. Is it the skill of the shooters? Yes. Is it the shootability, design and accuracy of the gun? Yes.

Are any of you guys classified? My goal is to reach Expert and then move on to another division. Somthing tells me I won't be satisfied with EX. Any tips to help me on my way? Beside of course the obvious, practice practice practice

www.racineidpa.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd LOVE to get into IDPA. I just started shooting about a year and a half ago, and I think I'm about ready to try this now.

But I have no idea where to go or how to get started. I've never even seen a match.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sgt Steve - - - I use one of two setups for my XD in IDPA. I have a custom made leather holster and mag pouch that a holster maker here localy made for me when I first got the gun. I also use a ComTac paddle holster and Fobus paddle mag holder it just depends on how I feel that day which one I use.

Terrapin - - - go to WWW.idpa.com and look for clubs in your state that have IDPA matches. That site will have all the information you need. Good luck, you'll enjoy IDPA competition.

JimT - - - we just had a classifier this weekend and I am now classified MM in CDP,ESP, and SSR just one more gun to go for a four gun certificate!

[ July 28, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: MoJo ]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mojo congrats on the classifier. I know how hard that ESP division can be. I don't want to suond boastful, but I practice hard to do well in our matches so I will brag a little. And since there are no prizes it is all about self improvement and bragging rights. I feel like I have done pretty well for some one who has only been shooting a pistol for 16 months. My last two matches I had the third best score overall. The only two people that had better scores at our classifier one is a Master and the other an expert. Now alot of our shooters are new to IDPA but many have a lot of shooting experience and training. I had two deputy sheriffs in my squad and I just blew em away. One of them is a big time IPSC shooter. Made me feel pretty good.

Terrapin, if you don't find anything near the Twin cities I know that LaCrosse WI has a club.
http://pages.prodigy.net/zata608/index.html
I highly recomend IDPA for two reasons. It is not overly competitive in my experience. It will make you a better shooter fundamentally if not tactically.

Mojo, one other thing. What are shooting in the other divisions. I am seriously considering a 1911 in the very near future. Then a Beretta 92 and then something in a Smith revolver then...

Sgt Steve, good topic

JimT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I went to the IDPA site, did a little reading and the first thing I find out is that I'm gonna hafta buy a new gun if I want to do this. I just ordered a ghost ring/hi-viz sight setup for my XD, and that, it seems, is an IDPA no-no. Don's guide rod is also probably out of the question - although that could be swapped back and forth with no problem.

Drat. There's no money in the budget for a new gun this year, and besides, a left-handed Remington 700 is the next gun on my list...

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Terrapin
A replacement guide rod is permitted if it is manufactured out of a material no heavier than common steel.
Maybe you could consider sights to replace the ghost-ring rear rather than purchase a whole new pistol. Just a thought.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just shot the WI state IDPA match in lacrosse this weekend. It was a lot of fun and also got checked off to be an SO and work the rest of the match sunday as an SO. The Lacrosse IDPA sight is now www.lacrosseareaidpa.com. It was a great match it ran smoothly with about 80-90 shooters through 12 stages. Check out the link for "casper" I think for a lot of IDPA pictures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by snertley:
I just shot the WI state IDPA match in lacrosse this weekend. It was a lot of fun and also got checked off to be an SO and work the rest of the match sunday as an SO. The Lacrosse IDPA sight is now www.lacrosseareaidpa.com. It was a great match it ran smoothly with about 80-90 shooters through 12 stages. Check out the link for "casper" I think for a lot of IDPA pictures.
A friend of mine shot that too, although he said he did not do well. His name is Russell and he the the match director for Racine IDPA. By the way, we are having a match this Sat. at Racine County Line Rifle Range if you happen to be in the area. www.racineidpa.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I returned the Sidearmor IWB holster. I don't think it was the holster, it was me. I damaged my hip about 6 years back with M/A and the IWB just did not work right for me.

I ended up with a G-Code OWB and a G-Code Double Mag Pouch from Gunner's Alley. I am really please with the set-up and even more pleased with the service from Gunner's! They are helpful.

I hope this doesn't bring the house down on my head but I attended a Tri State USPSA Championship shoot this past weekend. I didn't shoot but I had a booth there presenting something our company is doing with pistol barrels. I did walk around and checked out the different stages. There's a lot of good shooters and fast too. But, I'm sorry...I just cannot understand shooting a handgun without any regard for cover or tactical body position. Why the heck have the doors, windows, tables, bridges, boundaries, if you're not concerned about where your body is and the exposure? Anyway everyone has a reason for what they like and dislike.
:p

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got the g-code too. I am also very pleased with it. Haven't got the mag holder yet. How is that working out for you?

JimT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a word of caution on the type of holster you invest in for using in IDPA matches. Starting this next year, IF the holster can be adjusted for a forward cant, it will not be legal according to the newest edition of IDPA's TACTICAL JOURNAL.IDPA boils down to how the match director sets-up any given match, and the common sense brought to those scenarios.If you shoot an XD sub, be mindful you can load only 5 rounds in BUG class. If you shoot it in ESP, then you can load more, depending on scenario instructions. Go figure why the semi-autos were not separated from revolvers in BUG class.Based on that logic, then 5 shot revolvers should be limited to 2-3 rds.If IDPA is supposed to somewhat resemble the real world, then why load a gun to half of its capacity? Would you do this when carrying it out and about? IDPA can be enjoyable, but one has to overlook some of the rules,(NOT THE SAFETY RULES)many of which of course are there to prevent "gamers" from gaining an advantage. Also watch out for scenarios that have the shooter charging targets, and ones that have 5-6-7or 8 bad guys, and l o n g shots.I think there is more realism (per real life shoot-outs) when there are 4 or fewer "bad guys', at relatively short distances, with more rds. pumped into them...in other words close-up, personal and enough rounds expended to stop the threat.Just my one cent worth.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Originally posted by 1911lover:
...SNIP...
If you shoot an XD sub, be mindful you can load only 5 rounds in BUG class. If you shoot it in ESP, then you can load more, depending on scenario instructions. Go figure why the semi-autos were not separated from revolvers in BUG class.Based on that logic, then 5 shot revolvers should be limited to 2-3 rds.If IDPA is supposed to somewhat resemble the real world, then why load a gun to half of its capacity?
The BUG division is the least "realistic" division and has the poorest rules in IDPA--probably why it is limited to local matches--no sanctioned BUG matches in IDPA. The 5 shot rule is to establish parity between semi-auto and revolvers in the same division. The rule is based on the popularity of 5 shot J-frame revolvers used as Back Up Guns (BUG) or hideout guns.
BUG rules also do not permit reloads or drawing from a holster. All in all, a pretty artificial circumstance. We do only one BUG match a year at our club.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim T...sorry I missed the post on the G Code. Yep, I like the G Code double mag pouch real well. Adjustable, and the belt "loop" does fit well up against the side/hip/whatever. Makes for a snug fit but doesn't intrude on feel or speed. Hafta' say again that the G Code holster OWB inpresses me. It has a non adjustable butt forward cant but the height of the holster (up or down on the belt)is adjustable. The holster as well as the mag pouch is adjustable for tension.
I'll let you know more after we're done rolling around in the mud this weekend on a "spruce up class" from our DTI (Defense Training International, John Farnam)class. Farnam and his assistants are excellent people and trainers. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts