Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you also calculate your times value?

I work as a consultant and charge an hourly rate. So I know my times worth by the hour.

If I were to spend x hrs producing x bullets, after the cost of the materials and all, I dont think I could touch the price of just buying them.

Have any of you considered this or do you just not factor in your time at all?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
obvioulsy your time is worth something, but one would assume you aren't missing work to reload. I think you have to look at it as an activity more than a chore.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
obvioulsy your time is worth something, but one would assume you aren't missing work to reload. I think you have to look at it as an activity more than a chore.

that may be what I truly lack. anything of that sort is a chore IMO. Like working on the cars, house, whatnot.. I dont enjoy it but if its cheaper for me to do it, then I will..

The lawn for example, was cheaper for ppl to do it for me.. Now the wife decided she wanted to do it (I vowed early in life to never, as an adult, mow a lawn) so I bought her a nice mower and she takes care of it. By the end of the season we will be ahead financially since the service was costing me $60 a month.

I guess, just looking at the reloading (many people in our group of shooters constantly preach about it) I just cant see the investment + materials + time actually being worth it in the long run. Maybe if I made enough to sell and recoup, but all too often, we see people pulling the trigger and getting no bang or the round doesnt extract properly and whatnot and 9 times out of 10, it was a reload.

Many of my friends do it but I dont see the savings being more than maybe ¢.01-.03 per round. I am sure that adds up (thats the arguement right?) but I guess I just see my time as more valuable.

Was just curious if anyone had worked it out to a definate number.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Using that analogy, how much money are you losing when you go to bed at night? 8 hours times $x = lost income. Maybe you should only sleep 4 hours and save yourself 4 times $x to put in the bank. In other words, income is not produced 24 hours a day. Relaxation or hobby time is not lost income. Enjoy yourself more and reload for relaxation which you can consider as down time, non-production.:razz::razz:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been reloading since 1981. If you are reloading just to save money then don't do it. If you look at your times as part of the cost then forget it. If you want better quality and more accurate rounds then reload. I have always been a DIY kind of person. I reload:
45 ACP
357 magnum
38 special
30-06

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
With that reasoning you shouldn't be wasting your time going shooting at all. I too consult for a very healthy hourly rate, but downtime is very important. Working up a new load is fun. Creating a softer shooting, more accurate, and cheaper round than I can pick off a shelf is a challenge. If you are looking at it like a business you have to amortize the cost of the equipment over it's life. If you load 100000 rounds on your press before it breaks then how much is it really adding to each round?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

I work as a consultant and charge an hourly rate. So I know my times worth by the hour.

If I were to spend x hrs producing x bullets, after the cost of the materials and all, I dont think I could touch the price of just buying them.

IMO, if your time is so valuable, you can't afford any hobby, including shooting. Pay someone to shoot for you, the results will likely be better anyway. Reloading is as much a hobby as shooting. Look at it that way & enjoy the money you saved. With todays equip, depending on the caliber you shoot, you can see an hourly rate upwards of $75/hr, tax free. I save 1/2 the cost of the cheapest factory ammo in any caliber, more for the "exoics" like 10mm or 357saig & any of the magnums. Tough to beat unless you are a Doctor or lawyer.:rolleyes: With current state & fed taxes, you would have to be pulling down more than $125/hr to make that pan out. Your gear would run you right around $1000 for a press that yields you 600rds/hr easily. Buy components in some kind of bulk & you save much more than 2c-3c per round.
As to reliability, well, too many guys buy the gear & just start making ammo. While reloading isn't rocket science, if you want the best ammo, you have to understand the entire process, what makes a good load & what makes a bad one. Yeah, one can have the occasional bad round, but I find those in factory as well, especially the cheap crap that most guys shoot. Reloading isn;t for everyone, but I have never met a great shooter that was doing it on factory ammo.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
interesting question but as others have said reloading is as much a hobby as shooting so I've never considered my time
... anything of that sort is a chore IMO. Like working on the cars, house, whatnot.. I dont enjoy it but if its cheaper for me to do it, then I will.. The lawn for example, was cheaper for ppl to do it for me.. Now the wife decided she wanted to do it ... so I bought her a nice mower and she takes care of it. ...
look at this way - if you did not start the new lawn mower, run it around for a few minutes, decide it will work better with a little tuning, then spend an hour or two tinkering - well maybe reloading is not a hobby for you ;)
... I dont see the savings being more than maybe ¢.01-.03 per round. I am sure that adds up (thats the arguement right?) but I guess I just see my time as more valuable.

Was just curious if anyone had worked it out to a definate number.
here's a post I wrote just yesterday laying out my balance sheet. Lots of detail in there, but net is that in a year and half I have recovered my capital spend and have saved $883, or 9.8 cents per round.

Now to your question - I do keep a detailed log in MSexcel, so I just summed my time over that year and half - 109 hours. So against the savings, I paid myself a whopping $8.14 per hr. That will increase as my capital gets amortized over more rounds, but I don't expect to ever hit my salary as a Senior Engineer. As others have noted above, I don't reload when I could be earning salary. Yep, it is a hobby.

Well there you have my numbers. Gotta go to the garage now - replenish my 9mm stock on progressive press, maybe work up a new Magnum load on single stage to test out in the desert this afternoon :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I see reloading as a hobby that happens to go with my shooting hobby. as for duds and squibs. etc. starting loading in 72 and show 1 squib in 1972 when loading with a Lee hammer loader in .38 Spec. and one dead primer that may have gotten wet in 1983 as it stands I can go and reload when ever at home if I want to shoot I have to drive to a range.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
NOT A CHANCE!!! Crap just figuring time without materials I am out of the ball park. Why did you have to make me realize that :rolleyes:

Using that analogy, how much money are you losing when you go to bed at night? 8 hours times $x = lost income. Maybe you should only sleep 4 hours and save yourself 4 times $x to put in the bank..:razz::razz:
Wish I could get paid for all that sleep time. Shame is I am damn good at it!

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I go for guns that shoot cheap ammo, and don't spend more than an hour a time shooting, so it will never make economic sense for me to reload, no matter what price I put on my time, until something changes. That said, I am still looking at picking up a press.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't factor in my time as a cost at all. For the 9mm I load, I think of a dime savings every time a bullet is completed.

As was already pointed out by others, if your time is that valuable, you shouldn't even think of reloading. Think of all the money you could be putting in your pocket doing something else that pays you rather than trying to save a few pennies by reloading.

This is a hobby that allows you to shoot many more rounds for the same amount of money as you would buying new ammo. If you don't shoot much, then reloading would take a long time to pay for the equipment you buy unless you find some good deals on some used equipment.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I don't factor in my time as a cost at all. For the 9mm I load, I think of a dime savings every time a bullet is completed.

As was already pointed out by others, if your time is that valuable, you shouldn't even think of reloading. Think of all the money you could be putting in your pocket doing something else that pays you rather than trying to save a few pennies by reloading.

This is a hobby that allows you to shoot many more rounds for the same amount of money as you would buying new ammo. If you don't shoot much, then reloading would take a long time to pay for the equipment you buy unless you find some good deals on some used equipment.
The time argument is feckless. With even a Dillon 550B, you can turn out 500rds of ammo in one hour from start to finish, assuming you sat in front of the TV or on the toilet & filled primer tubes. So you can buy 500rds of 9mm for $100 or reload it for $50 & put $50 cash back in your pocket. That is an effective hourly rate of $80-$85/hr since it's cash money. Do the same thing for 500 45acp & save $100/500, so $100/hr net or a gross $155-$160/hr. Yeah, tell me again it's not worth your time reloading?:rolleyes: You can pay for a 550B setup, about $750 complete, in less than 4000rds of 45acp. Even if you only shoot 1000rds/yr, you are paid off in less time than your new truck/car.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

Do you charge your wife for sex?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Also if you are factoring in your hourly rate you shouldn't be using the same hourly rate for reloading as your full time job.

Personally, I think it depends on which one you have more of: time or money.

I don't have a lot of money, but I have plenty of time on my hands.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have never counted my time as a "cost" when reloading. I enjoy the process and get a lot of relaxation (down time from "work"). I especially enjoy when I have completed working up a load that works well and groups as tight as possible with my weapons. Reloading is my hobby as is shooting my guns & bows.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When you calculate your reloading cost...
I calculated my reloading cost early on to justify buying the equipment. But I stopped trying to figure the cost soon after that since it didn't matter to me anymore. When I see a good price on components I buy. Right now, I have no idea what I paid for any particular jug of powder or box of bullets and I'm happy with that.

I don't calculate the cost of driving either. When I want to go somewhere I get in one of our cars and go.

Do you include your time in the cost of driving and weigh the possible speeding ticket against the lost income opportunity when driving at the speed limit?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Do you work at least 84 hours a week? If not, you're going in the hole since you're charging yourself for more time than you're being paid for. ;)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
In the time it takes you to drive to walmart, buy ammo, and drive home, I can load 500 rounds.

In the time it takes you to get online and order ammo I can load 50 rounds.

This argument is so old :yawn: and always asked by someone who has never reloaded a day in their life.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts