Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buy an AR pistol in 300 ACC, thinking the Springfield Saint Victor is a good choice. I'll put a red dot on it (thinking Sig Romeo) and have it for my at the ready home defense gun where I want more than a pistol (think the guys in St Louis with the mob running through their neighborhood). My AR (Sig M400) is a bit larger and heavier with a 3x9 on it, and since I like it the way it is the option is buy another AR for "crowd control". If I'm going to buy another AR I'm thinking the pistol version is a good idea, and if I'm getting the pistol version 300 ACC is a good choice as from what I read it works very well out of short barrels (my understanding it uses relatively fast burning pistol powders).

So, talk me out of the pistol AR or out of the 300 ACC. I should mention I don't really care that 300 ACC ammo isn't that available and more expensive, I'll find enough to get confident in the gun and stock up on a few hundred rounds and call it good. I'll still have a .223 and plenty of ammo for the what-if scenarios. Plus I may decide to reload.

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to the pawnshop and see what people return get them at a used price because the panic buyers will return all kinds of stuff
THAT is a winning plan.

Speaking of which, on a lark I put my gen 5 Glock 19 on Armslist, 800 bucks, sold in 15 minutes. The times they are a crazy.

I can live without a G19 for a while, they'll be back to mid 500's soon enough.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
THAT is a winning plan.

Speaking of which, on a lark I put my gen 5 Glock 19 on Armslist, 800 bucks, sold in 15 minutes. The times they are a crazy.

I can live without a G19 for a while, they'll be back to mid 500's soon enough.
Sweet man there is going to be all kinds of things comming back used but never shot excellent condition used prices

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'm not going to talk you out of it. I put a 8" Aero 300BLK pistol together this year. Maybe not quite the exact reasons you're looking at, but similar. Home defense, or pack it in the truck on a trip for extra horsepower over my EDC pistol if I should need it. So far, not much has been done to it: a Bushnell TRS25 until I find something else to go on it, a Rise Armament trigger that I got for super cheap (but it's nearly as good as the Geissele SD3G on my DD), an AAC Brakeout (1st version) so I can mount my can, and that's about it for now. It's a super light setup. I may add a LAW folder (or similar) later for backpack stowability.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A suppressed .300aac SBR is a wonderful home defense gun. I use pmags and their Maglink to have 60 rounds ready of Hornady 190gr Sub-X TAP ammo.

I found with an suppressed AR pistol that they are harder to shoot accurately and loud in doors.

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A suppressed .300aac SBR is a wonderful home defense gun. I use pmags and their Maglink to have 60 rounds ready of Hornady 190gr Sub-X TAP ammo.

I found with an suppressed AR pistol that they are harder to shoot accurately and loud in doors.
Suppressed. Sigh.

Yeah, it's a good idea on a gun like this but the hassle. It's something I need to think on.

Reactions: .45fan

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I'd just like to talk you out of a Springfield AR.

If that's your budget, I'd just really give it a good once-over both before you buy as well as after.

But if your budget is a bit more flexible, there's better makes that deliver more consistently on build quality.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Suppressed. Sigh.

Yeah, it's a good idea on a gun like this but the hassle. It's something I need to think on.
Yes its a hassle, but if you need to touch off a round or ten will your family and pets be able to function?
By function I mean hear/follow commands that could save or end their lives?

Think if you train them to shelter in a safe room and the intruders cause a fire somehow, you need to alert the family that plans have changed right now.

Yes that is dramatic, but take a shoot house class and it brings those thoughts into perspective.

If you do go the stamp route, have an attorney familiar with your states laws draw up a trust, it will save aggravation later in the life of the equipment. My trust was a one time three hundred dollar cost with unlimited ability to ask questions of the attorney. The equipment is currently able to be passed two generations after mine, if they continue to add names everything can be passed forever.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I’m going to scour the local gunshops for lightly used bargains.

Reactions: Snaphook

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd just like to talk you out of a Springfield AR.

If that's your budget, I'd just really give it a good once-over both before you buy as well as after.

But if your budget is a bit more flexible, there's better makes that deliver more consistently on build quality.
I'm all ears.

For reference, I'm not opposed to spending money on an AR if I think the return is worth it. I owned an LMT LM8 for years and it was over 3k before the scope.
LMT LM8 .308 30-30 Winchester 16 FDE | LM8MWSLTFDE - Buds Gun Shop
So, I do know the difference between a mid grade AR, like my Sig M400, and what top of the line looks like (the LMT might as well been machined from a single block of aluminum it was that tight). But I don't want to spend more just to spend more, with the LMT in 308 I was sub MOA and I wanted an accurate shooter so was willing to spend the money.

The pistol length AR in 300 ACC, before I'm willing to drop a lot of coin I need to really understand what I'm getting for it which is why I thought mid-grade like the Springfield.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Just something with better QA/QC. There are so many reports of inconsistencies with Springfield's ARs that I'm not convinced that they are worth the money.

I'm not a brand-loyalist, I just go with the tool that's the best fit. ;)

BCM and SOLGW both have .300 Blk pistols as a part of their offerings. I don't think LMT does .300 Blk pistols, but they have both SBR and integrally suppressed SBR offerings in that chambering.

I don't know if DD's stepped up their game more recently or not. There was a while back there not too long ago that I wouldn't recommend a DD to family/friends because of QA/QC slack.

·
Premium Member
15,535 Posts
If you are not going to suppress 300, then what's the point? Rifle do their damage by rifle velocities. 300 was designed for pistol velocities. It excells at sub sonic duty out of an AR. If you are not going to suppress, then all you did was neutered a AR.

And a pistol AR... You just turned your AR into a neutered flash/bang grenade. Never understood that. You want a SBR...

Get a mag fed SG. Get a Shockwave. If you want a home defense carbine get 6.8... It excells at exactly what it was designed for... More thump out of a short barrel AR carbine... Or Supress a 300.... But out of pistol length barrel.... Well, you neutered that too.

..... Or.... Get a pistol barreled pistol caliber AR... Where you get all the capacity, and more performance from pistol cartridge... Which is still plenty for crowd control. Fast 45 is good... Even suppressed... Get a 10mm... For 30 rounds of hot 357 mag. There's always that...

But me... I'm selling my small stuff... I have a 12 ga and a 6.8.... All I want, and don't really need...

Reactions: mficare

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
A buddy of mine has a really nice Wilson Combat 300BO AR pistol. They are not cheap. But they are well built, rock solid, accurate and very reliable. What you would expect from WC. He bought it used for $1000 from his BIL. Apparently, the BIL needed some money to make ends meet. I would have bought it too on the spot.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I don't know if DD's stepped up their game more recently or not. There was a while back there not too long ago that I wouldn't recommend a DD to family/friends because of QA/QC slack.
I don't know about their current QC. The MK18 I just bought this year seems to be pretty well squared away (Granted, sample size of one). They just came out with their PDW in 300BLK too, and it's dead sexy. If I hadn't already had my Aero lower sitting around waiting for me to do something with it, I might have tried to get hold of one, but they are still commanding a premium price. So I ended up getting an Aero built upper and it's worked great since. Maybe a PDW will be in my future, but at this point, I have to ask myself, what will that give me that I don't already have? Maybe a question I need to ask myself more often before I get in trouble with the wife.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
I’m gonna agree with Powerman...before I’d get a .300 pistol if I wasn’t going to suppress, I’d get a short-barrel pistol caliber AR/PDW.

Tons of 9mm options, some .40’s, and getting to be more .45’s.

Hot 9mm +P or +P+ out of a 8-10” barrel is nothing to sneeze at... .40 can get into 10mm velocities... .45 packs a mean wallop no matter what.

And if you suppress it...my 9mm Z5RS/MP5 is crazy quiet running subs.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
So, talk me out of the pistol AR or out of the 300 ACC. I should mention I don't really care that 300 ACC ammo isn't that available and more expensive, I'll find enough to get confident in the gun and stock up on a few hundred rounds and call it good. I'll still have a .223 and plenty of ammo for the what-if scenarios. Plus I may decide to reload.
I won't even begin to try to talk you out of an AR Pistol in 300 ACC. I acquired a PSA upper and lower last year and It is definitely a winner. The only thing I might do different is opt for a 9 or 10 inch barrel instead of the 7.5". I have an AR pistol in 5.56 too, but I enjoy shooting the 300 Blackout more.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I like the idea of watching for sales from panic buyers. Wonder if many pcc in 9mm were bought in panic. A nice one is next on my list.

Reactions: Snaphook

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are not going to suppress 300, then what's the point? Rifle do their damage by rifle velocities. 300 was designed for pistol velocities. It excells at sub sonic duty out of an AR. If you are not going to suppress, then all you did was neutered a AR.

And a pistol AR... You just turned your AR into a neutered flash/bang grenade. Never understood that. You want a SBR...

Get a mag fed SG. Get a Shockwave. If you want a home defense carbine get 6.8... It excells at exactly what it was designed for... More thump out of a short barrel AR carbine... Or Supress a 300.... But out of pistol length barrel.... Well, you neutered that too.

..... Or.... Get a pistol barreled pistol caliber AR... Where you get all the capacity, and more performance from pistol cartridge... Which is still plenty for crowd control. Fast 45 is good... Even suppressed... Get a 10mm... For 30 rounds of hot 357 mag. There's always that...

But me... I'm selling my small stuff... I have a 12 ga and a 6.8.... All I want, and don't really need...
300 ACC (based on what I read) out of a 10” barrel is around 2200 FPS and 1200 lbs muzzle energy. At relatively short range where I would use it that’s significantly better than 223 and way ahead of any pistol cartridge. So suppressed or not you’ve got a better gun than the same size / type gun in a different caliber.

I don’t see how suppressed or not suppressed drives the equation. I’d rather have it suppressed but with the hassle seems to me even if I don’t I have a better gun than other options.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts