Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down in Texas this weekend for a family reunion, and out of the blue my grandfather gave me his S&W M&P Model 10 .38 revolver, in the original box, with the manual, and cleaning stuff. Its in pretty good condition, blued, double action 5" barrel.

Its probably 50 or 60 years old. Any idea on value (not that I'm going to sell it).

Its been a while since I've been on the forum. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
:shock: :cool:

..... and you'll post pics now,... little mister!!! Or I'll report you for abuses like taunting. :rolleyes: :D :lol:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I can't help you out with value or info, but it looks like a sweet revolver that you're proud is now yours. What a great gesture from your Grandpa!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Ooooohhh. It's purty.

I can't help out either, but it sure is in great shape.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
KOD,
Looks like a real beauty! A LNIB older Model 10, blued, you're probably pushing north of $400, especially since you have the original box, manual, cleaning gear. Can't tell from your photos if you have one of the earlier 5-screw models... if so, that pushes the value significantly higher. Does it have a sub-model designation (look inside the crane)... like a 10-2 or 10-3, or similar? The Model 10 was labelled as such starting in 1957; prior to that is was called the .38 M&P. If you PM me with your s/n, I can probably get pretty close on the date of manufacture.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get that to you later today.

Yeah it was really nice of him. About 4 years ago he got stomach cancer, and lost his stomach, and has a hard time eating and has become frail, and can no longer handle this gun, so I'm kinda sad about that. I'm going back down there (to Galveston, TX) over the 4th of July as he wants me to teach my younger cousins (17 and 13) how to shoot. He still has a .22 magnum 5 shot mini pocket pistol he carries and a .410 shotgun, but thats all he can handle. He's 6' tall and 140lbs now, and 77 years old.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the double post-but:

It is (I believe) a four screw model. Question though--Can this gun handle +p ammo?

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I shot it last night. Makes me wanna sell my xd. So smooth, very very accurate at 75 feet, and with the 5in barrel has very light recoil, even with defensive loads. Just wish it held more than six shots. Oh well.

·
Registered
29,671 Posts
Nice pistol...I love the look of the old pencil barrel Smiths.

I wouldn't go with +P loads in it...you could easily find a good 158gr SWCHP that would be an excellent performer out of that 5" barrel.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Well, I shot it last night. Makes me wanna sell my xd. So smooth, very very accurate at 75 feet, and with the 5in barrel has very light recoil, even with defensive loads. Just wish it held more than six shots. Oh well.
Wheelgun love.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah its now my "primary" SD/HD gun. Keep it in a drawer in my night stand, just because its so much easier to using with the da trigger versus keeping my xd loaded with such a light trigger.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
You're welcome. :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts