Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking that a .22 pistol might be nice to take up to the land and plink around with. That way won't be as intrusive to any neighbors and won't be as hard on the land.

What is your favorite .22 pistol and why? I'm looking for something in the $300ish range. What kind of options are out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't get the Beretta Neos U22, unless you have small hands. I have one, along with long fingers, and I over wrap the grips, and can't use two hands to shoot. And on top of that, the gun just sort of sucks in general, and looks ridiculous.

I would suggest a Walther P22, something I might buy and suppress soon.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've been thinking that a .22 pistol might be nice to take up to the land and plink around with. That way won't be as intrusive to any neighbors and won't be as hard on the land.

What is your favorite .22 pistol and why? I'm looking for something in the $300ish range. What kind of options are out there?

Thanks!
For my money, the Ruger 22/45 is as good as a .22 pistol gets.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
My son shoots a Walther p22. Nice little plinker. It cost $322 plus tax for me about a month ago. Also any Ruger MK II's or III's do a great job and seem to run any ammo you toss in it. They can be had new for around $300 and up depending on options. Browning has a nice .22 also but I can't remember any prices or model numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Dead set on a pistol?
Have you thought about a revolver?I have a Ruger Single Six Convertable.
It's a three screw manufactured in '67

I picked this up from a friend in '95 for $125
It has two cylinders, .22lr and .22 Win Mag, it is super accurate.
These can regularly be found for $225-300.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I never even thought about a revolver...that would actually be kinda fun! Okay, so what options are there for a .22 revolver:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My Walther P22 is a great little plinker. It is cheap and will eat anything i put through it. Try doing a search on this and there are about 500 other posts on this same subject :D.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Browning makes a great .22. I'm leaning towards the P22 though. Makes a great little pocket gun. Depends on what you want to use it for really.
A little off topic but i would strongly advise not using a .22 as a pocket gun if you are going to use it as a personal defense weapon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The instructor for a pistol class I took had a Browning .22 pocket pistol he kept in his back pocket for defense. Of course, he had about 3 other pistols on him he could reach for before getting to that one:D

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Pistol: Either a Ruger MKII or III or a Browning Buckmark
Revolver: Ruger Single Six

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
My favorite .22's are my T/C Contender with a 10" Match barrel and my H&R Sentinel. I've got a Buckmark as well, and while I like it, I prefer the other two more.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Don't get the Beretta Neos U22, unless you have small hands. I have one, along with long fingers, and I over wrap the grips, and can't use two hands to shoot. And on top of that, the gun just sort of sucks in general, and looks ridiculous.

I would suggest a Walther P22, something I might buy and suppress soon.
I own a Beretta and totally disagree with your opinion of the NEOS. I have lg/xlg hands and have no issues using this plinker with a proper two handed grip. I've put about 1K rounds through it with no problems and all kinds of ammo.

If your issue is purely looks then I don't know what to tell ya. I don't CC this one and it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think the ruger MKII or 22/45 is the work horse of the .22 pistols - Although I like the feel of my S&W 22S much better.

For revolvers "it would be my choice" nothing says nice like an old S&W K22 or equivalent - There goes your budget.

My wife bought a Taurus 94 9 shot revolver - it doesn't index correctly and you have to turn the cylinder by hand to get into position. The trigger is horrible - she has told me several times she wishes she would have just bought the smith.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The MKII (or III) is great. The S&W 41 is really nice (and really expensive). The S&W 617 is top dog, but heavy for regular carry. The 317 is lighter than most toys.

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A little off topic but i would strongly advise not using a .22 as a pocket gun if you are going to use it as a personal defense weapon.
If that's all you have it's better then nothing. Yes I realize it does not have the muzzle energy of a bigger caliber. Though with properly placed shots, it can kill you pretty easliy. I personaly would not go everywhere with a .22. But if you were just making a quick store run, or whatever. Stick it in your pocket, and you are ready to go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Rugers

·
Premium Member
127,789 Posts
Ruger Mark lll

1 - 20 of 26 Posts