Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
They did that at my CCW class as well...it's jsut a triple check and depending on the model not always easy to see a round in the chamber unless you have a lot of light. Nest use of that check is when someone else has handled the gun before you, I have the gun store do that before I'll handle a firearm.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It is an easy way to check to see if a round is stuck in the chamber. As for beeing afraid of the bolt or slide, that is why you take care of and keep your gun clean. So everything works properly.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...finger getting bruised, possible cut....or a bullet sitting inside you.

Tough choice :rolleyes:
It's my choice and responsibility. If you can't trust yours eyes if the chamber is empty or not, then you shouldn't handle firearms at all. I check it thoroughly under the (day)light every time, from all angles.

If you need to do it in the dark then of course, it might be the only proper way..but othervise, no.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The slide won't close on your finger unless you're thumbing the slide release. Which would be a bad idea whilst poking your finger in the chamber...

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I personally don't do this with my XD, but I do it when handling a weapon that is not mine.

On my XD, I check the loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide before racking it back, then visually inspect the chamber.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I had my P2000 accidentally close from slide lock on my hand one time. I'm going to avoid having that happen again if at all possible. It's not fun.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
The slide won't close on your finger unless you're thumbing the slide release. Which would be a bad idea whilst poking your finger in the chamber...

Absolutely, 100%, no questions about it....

Incorrect.

Sorry to break it to ya buddy but the slide stop/release can and will release from the inside (How do you think the follower in the magazine pushes it up?). Go lock the slide open on ANY one of your autoloaders... now look at the slide lock/release at the top of the magwell... now, reach down and pull it up with your finger..

Before you do this make sure kids are out of the room incase you can't keep it PG.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Absolutely, 100%, no questions about it....

Incorrect.

Sorry to break it to ya buddy but the slide stop/release can and will release from the inside (How do you think the follower in the magazine pushes it up?). Go lock the slide open on ANY one of your autoloaders... now look at the slide lock/release at the top of the magwell... now, reach down and pull it up with your finger..

Before you do this make sure kids are out of the room incase you can't keep it PG.
I question your statement. If you lock the slide back on your XD. And then you slam in a full mag. It does not release the slide! The follower pushes the lock up, inserting a mag doesn't pull it back down. You still have to manually push it or slingshot the slide.

With all the reports of ND's and that huge discussion we had not more than two weeks ago about how people thought that so many ND's shouldn't be happening. I would not just push to the side manually checking the chamber. On some rifles it's not possible, but with the XD it is. I do it. Just keep your thumb away from the slide release.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I typically put my finger in the other end of the barrel and just pull the trigger. That way if there was a round left in there, at least my finger is there to stop it. ;-)

I in no way actually condone this method for checking for a loaded chamber.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Its an OCD thing.

Lately with my XD, I look at the chamber indicator, feel the chamber indicator, look in the chamber, feel in the chamber. :roll:

For me, feeling in the chamber is just one of those things I have done so long, its second nature. Just like looking and feeling for the elevator in a tube fed firearm.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
It's my choice and responsibility. If you can't trust yours eyes if the chamber is empty or not, then you shouldn't handle firearms at all. I check it thoroughly under the (day)light every time, from all angles.

If you need to do it in the dark then of course, it might be the only proper way..but othervise, no.
You CAN'T trust your eyes. They will sometimes tell you what you expect them to tell you even if it isn't what they saw. I check the chamber every way I can think of when I want to be sure there isn't a round in there and if I'm in a crowd I have someone else check it too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I noticed some people put their finger in the chamber just to make sure it has no round in it. Saw it on some youtube clips and even in one of the episodes of "The Unit".

Aren't those people afraid slide might get released by accident and seroiusly hurt their fingers?
I don't always feel the chamber, but I'm trying to get into the habit of doing it. A sore finger is just another reminder that you can never be to safe, or is it a reminder not to bump the slide stop? :D

Has anyone put a round/spent case/snap cap in the chamber to test what they should be feeling?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts