Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
An M&P with a good factory trigger, now I know you're lying :)

I think the VP9, PPQ and P320 are step above the rest of the pack but I do agree, it's a matter of preference.
Well, it is the M&P Pro model and those aren't the typical M&P trigger. It's the 5" model with my favorite site setup, a flat black rear sight with a fiber optic green front site. So far it's really been a good shooting gun (2 range trips). We'll see, right now I'd rate it above the XDM 5.25 with a PRP trigger that I had but my history with polymer guns (Sphinx excepted) isn't good.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Don't the Pros have Apex parts already fitted at the factory?
Si.

It's a really good trigger, like to posted to Yellow, the trigger is easy the equal or better than an XDM with the PRP.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I've been impressed with the P320, I think it's a heck of a nice gun with a great trigger. It seems like a bargain with night sights standard, I paid extra to get the night sights on the VP9 I recently got.

My guess is the 320 is the equal to the VP9 with just a matter of preferences separating them. Same goes for XD's MP's, and Glocks too, all good guns separated by preferences. For my taste the VP9 has the best trigger, ergo's, controls, and grip of all the strikers and I'm able to get a perfect grip using small side panels and large backstrap on my VP9. Yeah, you can get a real nice trigger if you work on the Glock, or XDM, but the VP9 and the 320 come with stock triggers that are excellent.

I recently snagged an M&P Pro that has an excellent trigger without using an Apex kit or anything, very good stock trigger. Very nice gun as well, and very accurate.
I completely agree. After posting in this thread earlier, I was thinking how fantastic the pistol market was. We make comparisons between very good pistols as "bad" for various reasons when in fact it is all about preference. You put it perfectly. We are knees deep in great pistol products and we have a glut of choices where we can split hairs,but so many mfgrs are putting out tremendous products. I'd be proud to own most pistols these days, even Glocks.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The trigger safety IS for dropped guns, those that are dropped with the back of the slide hitting the ground first.

When dropped on the back of the slide the weight of the trigger combined with the force of the drop, in theory, could cause the trigger to continue its rearward motion and fire the gun. This was not a problem with a 1911 due to the grip safety.
Horsefeathers, cite please.
The weight of the trigger bar and sear ( not to mention the springs ) and thier resultant inertia above the trigger pivot pin would easily overpower the plastic tiddly bit of trigger and middle blade below the trigger pivot.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Si.

It's a really good trigger, like to posted to Yellow, the trigger is easy the equal or better than an XDM with the PRP.
The pro center trigger has gotten better indeed, I'm considering a pro CORE to add an RMR but the pro center trigger is still not up to the apex kits. But like you said earlier, it's really about personal preference.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Horsefeathers, cite please.
The weight of the trigger bar and sear ( not to mention the springs ) and thier resultant inertia above the trigger pivot pin would easily overpower the plastic tiddly bit of trigger and middle blade below the trigger pivot.
The mass of the trigger bar and sear are more than the trigger, but the trigger is physically blocked from going backward by the middle portion not being depressed. It's the trigger version of a firing pin block. Get a glock or an XD and pull back on the trigger without engaging that center trigger bar. I am willing to bet you'll put in more force than what the gun would encounter in a drop and you won't be able to fire the weapon.

Do a search with google and find the one that is quoting the gun digest book of the glock. I'd include the URL but I am pretty sure it's going to wrap.

I was clued into this knowledge by the owner of a local gun shop. He learned it by attending a Glock armorer class.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The mass of the trigger bar and sear are more than the trigger, but the trigger is physically blocked from going backward by the middle portion not being depressed. It's the trigger version of a firing pin block. Get a glock or an XD and pull back on the trigger without engaging that center trigger bar. I am willing to bet you'll put in more force than what the gun would encounter in a drop and you won't be able to fire the weapon.

Do a search with google and find the one that is quoting the gun digest book of the glock. I'd include the URL but I am pretty sure it's going to wrap.

I was clued into this knowledge by the owner of a local gun shop. He learned it by attending a Glock armorer class.
You were/are claiming the middle blade of the trigger is there as a drop safety to defeat inertia of the trigger if it were dropped on the rear of the slide and that ( impossibly ) the mass of the plastic trigger would overcome the mass of all the trigger parts and would depress enough ( again, due to inertia ) to fire the weapon. I don't care if that alleged info came from the Pope, it's poppycock.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Well, it ain't alleged information from the Pope, but maybe page 14 of this Glock armorers manual may shed light on the subject:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/glock_2009_armorers_manual.pdf
And I quote from that page:
"The trigger safety is designed to prevent unintentional firing when the pistol is dropped, falls or is subjected to forces such as inertia or lateral pressures."

If you don't like that version of the armorers manual try this one, page 10:
http://www.mujglock.com/_download/glock_armorers_manual.pdf
The salient wording in this version:
"The trigger safety is designed to prevent accidental firing when the pistol is dropped or subjected to an off-center lateral pressure or similar force."

And for good measure here's a 1992 armorer manual, page 8 has the trigger description: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/glock_armorers_manual.pdf

The bolded italic is my emphasis, GLOCK'S WORDING.

"Trigger Safety

It is incorporated into the trigger (26) in the from of a lever, and in the untouched state blocks the trigger from being moved backwards.

To fire the pistol, both the trigger safety and trigger must be depressed at the same time.

If the trigger safety is not depressed, then the trigger will not move to the rear and the pistol will not fire.

This is designed to prevent the trigger from going to the rear when dropped
."

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Interesting discussion. I’ve had the BDA (P220) 9mm & .45 since they were introduced (1976 I think). A year or so ago I bought the .45 P320 and put it on the nightstand but this week I put the .45 P320 elsewhere and put the .45 P220 back on the nightstand.

I just could not get comfortable picking up the P320 when it was fully loaded and did not have the P220‘s hammer safety. Now it looks like the Full Size .45 P320 has been discontinued (I love mine - just not for the nightstand).

Apparently the new P320 RXP 9mm will be shipped shortly. All are great guns but each offers something the others don’t.

Eventually the XD-M .45 will get here and I will then be totally confused. It just confirms that I can sell myself anything that goes BANG.

Life was a lot simpler when revolvers ruled and I just had to choose between Colt & S&W.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I grabbed one, thought it was pretty nice. Not nice enough to buy one, but nice.

Compared to others... as good as any I think. It's a Sig, and definitely not junk!

There are so many great options out there. Even though I am not a Glock guy, the Glock 42 is really nice for a smaller .380. (Kahr CW380 is still better for really deep concealment IMO). Hellcat..... M&P Pro...... VP9 .... great time to be a buyer. Some fit better than others.

I still EDC an early version M&P9c, the XDM9c, Kahr CW40 and CW380 ..... none new, but none really inferior to the new guns coming out now. (Except maybe trigger on the M&P9c).

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Delaware State Police Adopts SIG Sauer P320RXP Pistols

My P320RXP should arrive tomorrow. 🙂

Today I took the .45 P320 out and reflected:
1. No hammer drop
2. No trigger safety
3. No double action
4. No chamber loading indicator
5. No grip safety
6. No striker status indicator
7. No .45 availability (anymore)
8. I should not admit this but I actually looked down the barrel to confirm that it was loaded (easy with a .45). Yeah it was stupid (especially with no safeties) but no lectures please.

Oh! I guess that’s why I ordered the XD-M 5.25” .45

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
P320RXP is here. It got stuck in the cheap holster I had bought for it so perhaps I will get around to shooting it tomorrow. Still not sure what I will do with it. I will have to learn how to use the Romeo sights.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Fired it today. Multiple stove pipes but it gets better with each magazine. I think the Romeo will be a lot better than the laser outside with the plates because it does not get lost in the grass. Eventually I will find a holster designed for this specific gun with the correct optics.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Fired it today. Multiple stove pipes but it gets better with each magazine. I think the Romeo will be a lot better than the laser outside with the plates because it does not get lost in the grass. Eventually I will find a holster designed for this specific gun with the correct optics.
The 3rd magazine did the trick. 23 shots and not a single stove pipe.

I think I am going to like this gun - especially for shooting plates.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts