Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not bashing the Sig P320, I'm just not getting a why there's so much praise for this gun? Okay, I do get part of it:

- Great trigger.
- Great fit and finish and quality.
- Great design.
- Interesting approach to the modular fire control unit and different size frames.
- Very accurate.
- Very good sights.

That said, no one seems to mind or mention the lack of a glock-like trigger safety or grips that can be changed like we see on many modern pistols like the VP9, SR9, M&P9, XDM9, etc. And this is the part I don't get? Why hasn't anyone really addressed this? Instead, it's been brushed off as no big deal or not even mentioned at all. If Sig is pushing for versatility, why not include the ability to have different sized backstraps to go with the frames? And why do they not include a trigger safety? Why keep it as an option when every other extremely popular competing handgun has this standard? Am I making a big deal over this? Either way, what are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance, and Happy New Yesr.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not bashing the Sig P320, I'm just not getting a why there's so much praise for this gun? Okay, I do get part of it:

- Great trigger.
- Great fit and finish and quality.
- Great design.
- Interesting approach to the modular fire control unit and different size frames.
- Very accurate.
- Very good sights.

That said, no one seems to mind or mention the lack of a glock-like trigger safety or grips that can be changed like we see on many modern pistols like the VP9, SR9, M&P9, XDM9, etc. And this is the part I don't get? Why hasn't anyone really addressed this? Instead, it's been brushed off as no big deal or not even mentioned at all. If Sig is pushing for versatility, why not include the ability to have different sized backstraps to go with the frames? And why do they not include a trigger safety? Why keep it as an option when every other extremely popular competing handgun has this standard? Am I making a big deal over this? Either way, what are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance, and Happy New Yesr.
You just sold it. It is an excellent pistol.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The lack of trigger tab safety is welcome, the gun is still plenty safe as far as I'm concerned.

As for the grip, SIG took a different route, they offer grip modules in three sizes. Sure, they cost a few extra dollars but it looks like a nice set up to me.

Now that the 357 SIG versions are shipping I'm looking forward to trying one out.

Reactions: warbird1

·
Registered
465 Posts
Most trigger safetys are there so the guns can pass a drop test not to actually make the gun safer to carry. As far as the frames in stead of backstraps I prefer a solid grip so no issue for me. The positives you list are what all the hype is about with the p320.

·
Registered
29,798 Posts
Spend some range time with one, and some of the other pistols you mention.

Sig hit this one out of the park, I think.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Most trigger safetys are there so the guns can pass a drop test not to actually make the gun safer to carry. As far as the frames in stead of backstraps I prefer a solid grip so no issue for me. The positives you list are what all the hype is about with the p320.
No they arent. Theyre mostly to appease people get scared by a lack of a manual safety.

I could pull mine off the trigger of my Glock and feel confident it won't go off as I chuck it across the yard.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
No they arent. Theyre mostly to appease people get scared by a lack of a manual safety.

I could pull mine off the trigger of my Glock and feel confident it won't go off as I chuck it across the yard.
Correct, the trigger safety on glocks, XDs and M&Ps are down right silly and useless, besides all modern guns have internal drop safeties anyway.

Reactions: warbird1

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I've handled a few P320s at gun shows.
Nice trigger, but not enough hype to get me to give up my Glocks.

The P320 was introduced because the P250 series was a complete failure.
Sig had to do something with all those P250 frames.
Wait a bit and those P320 prices will come down.

P250s were sold for $700 when they first came out, I bought one for $700 and sold a month later for $650.
They can now be found for $400 and under.
The P320, although a better pistol than the P250, will probably run the same route..IMHO

·
Registered
29,798 Posts
I've handled a few P320s at gun shows.
Nice trigger, but not enough hype to get me to give up my Glocks.

The P320 was introduced because the P250 series was a complete failure.
Sig had to do something with all those P250 frames.
Wait a bit and those P320 prices will come down.

P250s were sold for $700 when they first came out, I bought one for $700 and sold a month later for $650.
They can now be found for $400 and under.
The P320, although a better pistol than the P250, will probably run the same route..IMHO
Possibly; however, the pricing on the 320's is a lot better, with them mostly around $550 here. Considering they come with night sights...not a bad price.

·
Super Moderator
16,793 Posts
Especially here on XDTalk, maybe most agree with a grip safety. But it is certainly debatable anywhere else. This isn't Glock hating, but the trigger safety has got to be the dumbest thing ever put on a gun. Pure BS marketing a non-existing "safety".

Honestly, the modular approach is pretty interesting. We'll see if this one sticks. I like what HK has done with grip panels. Regardless of grip, backstraps do give adjustment to aim.

But what ever... As with anything, nothing is 100% perfect. You have listed plenty of great important features, I'm sure it will sell great.

·
Registered
465 Posts

I was gona argue but you know your right and I know I am right as to why the trigger saftey's were installed.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I know I'm right. The little blade on the trigger does **** all if you drop a cocked gun other wise Sam Colt wouldve had them on his revolvers 150 years ago instead of carrying them with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The firing pin safety and drop safety are in place to prevent the gun from going off if dropped. Not the stupid trigger safety.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I briefly fondled one. I like it, but I'm not getting one. Not wanting another poly and the mag release is too far forward for my short thumbs.

A trigger safety as never been, nor ever will be a positive consideration in my book, same w/ grip safety. I will overlook them if the pistol is otherwise what I want, but if I could chose to delete them I would.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
I've been impressed with the P320, I think it's a heck of a nice gun with a great trigger. It seems like a bargain with night sights standard, I paid extra to get the night sights on the VP9 I recently got.

My guess is the 320 is the equal to the VP9 with just a matter of preferences separating them. Same goes for XD's MP's, and Glocks too, all good guns separated by preferences. For my taste the VP9 has the best trigger, ergo's, controls, and grip of all the strikers and I'm able to get a perfect grip using small side panels and large backstrap on my VP9. Yeah, you can get a real nice trigger if you work on the Glock, or XDM, but the VP9 and the 320 come with stock triggers that are excellent.

I recently snagged an M&P Pro that has an excellent trigger without using an Apex kit or anything, very good stock trigger. Very nice gun as well, and very accurate.

Reactions: ZanderMan

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I've been impressed with the P320, I think it's a heck of a nice gun with a great trigger. It seems like a bargain with night sights standard, I paid extra to get the night sights on the VP9 I recently got.

My guess is the 320 is the equal to the VP9 with just a matter of preferences separating them. Same goes for XD's MP's, and Glocks too, all good guns separated by preferences. For my taste the VP9 has the best trigger, ergo's, controls, and grip of all the strikers and I'm able to get a perfect grip using small side panels and large backstrap on my VP9. Yeah, you can get a real nice trigger if you work on the Glock, or XDM, but the VP9 and the 320 come with stock triggers that are excellent.

I recently snagged an M&P Pro that has an excellent trigger without using an Apex kit or anything, very good stock trigger. Very nice gun as well, and very accurate.
An M&P with a good factory trigger, now I know you're lying :)

I think the VP9, PPQ and P320 are step above the rest of the pack but I do agree, it's a matter of preference.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
The trigger safety IS for dropped guns, those that are dropped with the back of the slide hitting the ground first.

When dropped on the back of the slide the weight of the trigger combined with the force of the drop, in theory, could cause the trigger to continue its rearward motion and fire the gun. This was not a problem with a 1911 due to the grip safety.

Let's drop the gun the other way, muzzle hitting first:
The firing pin block prevents the firing pin from going forward unless the trigger is pulled.
This eliminates the possibility of the inertia of the firing pin going forward when a gun is dropped on it's muzzle and firing the gun.

The firing pin block for a 1911 came into existence with the series 80 style of 1911. And grumbling of how it affected trigger pull ensued.
Springfield solved that problem for their 1911 by going to a light firing pin and a heavier firing pin spring.
Smith and Wesson on their 1911 (prior to the E series) tied the firing pin block to the grip safety eliminating the affect on the trigger.

In both instances someone will question whether or not they are solutions to problems that don't exist. But one thing for sure, lawyers exist.
The idea of carrying a six shooter with the hammer resting on an empty chamber predates the pistol issues.

And the marketing types will always turn a negative into a positive. That little tab on the trigger - it's the USA, Ultra Safety Assurance. Warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
29,798 Posts

Don't the Pros have Apex parts already fitted at the factory?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts