Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a grand? I guess when I think of expensive pistols I think of 1911s or HK USPs.

Does any one here own one or have fired one?

I just wonder what makes them worth the price.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I own one.

They are all steel gun with a design that came before CAD/CAM and CNC. They are made Belgium. The dollar is weak so that raises the price. They are sold by Browning here in the US so that raises the price.

They are another of those iconic pistols that any true history buff should own.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am glad I got mine years ago. Supply vs Demand. Typical business as usual.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
I own one.

They are all steel gun with a design that came before CAD/CAM and CNC. They are made Belgium. The dollar is weak so that raises the price. They are sold by Browning here in the US so that raises the price.

Most of 'em are all steel--but there are also a few alloy framed ones out there as well (AIM had some a few months ago...the lasted all of a couple hours).

Also, some Browning marked pistols were made in Belgium, but many are made in Portugal. IIRC, most of the Herstal pistols are FN branded, not Browning.

AS to thier high price--my dealer told me that Browning is discontinuing several models of the HP, and so they're becoming a bit more scarce. If you want one, and aren't hung up on having the Browning name on it, look for an Argentine FM--same pistol, cheaper price.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I own one.

Agreed. Do they have a characteristic like the best trigger ever like 1911s?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I think the Hi Power was the last firearm that Browning was working on at the time of his death. It is a very fine weapon... reliable, accurate, and easy to clean. To me, it is more elegant looking than a 1911. The Hi Power has been used by police and military around the world since the late 1930s. I own a Belgium made Hi Power, circa 1965. It was my every day CC weapon for a number of years until I bought my XDsc. I found the XD to be more conealable and ergonomic to shoot.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Agreed. Do they have a characteristic like the best trigger ever like 1911s?
I have 2. Its one of the best 9mm pistols ever made real natural shooter. The trigger is not a 1911 trigger, but if you remove the mag disconnect it is one of the best triggers you will get in a 9mm pistol. Needs alittle work but can be a great trigger. Very accurate gun as well. Its the first double stack pistol ever made.

Buy used they go for half the price and are worth it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have one my Father brought home from WWII complete with the holster, belt, buckle, two magazines, and three copies of the US Army paperwork that allowed him to ship it home. It has all the Nazi symbols stamped into each part and all parts are serial numbered and all match.

It shoots really good. It has a 500 Meter sight on it, although I can't see the purpose for that. When at the range I usually let friends shoot it and they all enjoy the accuracy.:)

I also have a pristine Luger that I shoot from time to time.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm pistol...bar none.

Accurate as can be, totally reliable and the best trigger of any double stack 9mm pistol ever made. Very well made pistols, too.

Have you ever held one in your hand? It points like no other 9mm and feels just right. Not too thick or boxy and not too thin. Points well and its all steel construction means it is a very soft shooting 9mm.

Since it is a single action auto like the 1911, you can set its trigger up to be very close to the 1911's short crisp trigger pull. Can't even get close to this good with a Glock, Beretta, XD or whatever d/a 9mm you choose. The CZ-75 comes close but is still not as good as a properly set up Hi-Power.

The Hi-Power has never been an inexpensive pistol It is an old school design that is all steel and higher quality than many of the cast and CNC machined mass produced 9mms of today. That is why it is more expensive.

Shoot a properly set up Hi-Power and you'll understand why they are so expensive.

If I had to ditch all my 9mms today and keep only one...I am keeping the Belgian Beauty.

...its that good.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
950 Posts
They are great shooters. It was one of my favorite pistols but sold it and have regretted it ever since.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
They had some used Police trade-ins on AIM surplus, but I think they are all gone. They were going for maybe $400?
Steel framed ones were about that...alloy frames were $475 (and didn't last long at all).

They were some Eurocop trade ins, iirc.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Belgium Beauty
King of the Nines
9s
9mils

I call it the smaller and slightly younger cousin of the American classic 1911

First handgun I shot after joining the Reserve Army as a teenager was Canadian made from a company named Inglis - now a washing machine company - interesting history if you wish to Google. Ours were all black, plastic grips - very utilitarian. We just called them 9s or 9mils (for millimeter). Trained with them and carried them on alerts through 80s when I went to Regular Force and into 90s. So when I had a chance to buy a new modern version about year and half ago from an acquaintance I jumped, jumped fast. Got mine for an awesome deal - he basically wanted to get what shops had offered but know it went to a good home :) and he included a bunch of ammo. I love mine, great for USPSA matches or Steel Challenge. Carry it often, have total confidence in it. Pic below.

Anyway, I tell you that story because those early experiences formed my long standing interest in the entire history of the American 1911. JMB became my hero, I respect Utah for remembering him with their State gun.

As others have said, if you hold and shoot a good condition properly setup one, you will understand why they are worth what they are worth. You can find good used deals. Just recently there was someone on here who regretted walking away from one at $600.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm pistol...bar none.

Accurate as can be, totally reliable and the best trigger of any double stack 9mm pistol ever made. Very well made pistols, too.

Have you ever held one in your hand? It points like no other 9mm and feels just right. Not too thick or boxy and not too thin. Points well and its all steel construction means it is a very soft shooting 9mm.

Since it is a single action auto like the 1911, you can set its trigger up to be very close to the 1911's short crisp trigger pull. Can't even get close to this good with a Glock, Beretta, XD or whatever d/a 9mm you choose. The CZ-75 comes close but is still not as good as a properly set up Hi-Power.

The Hi-Power has never been an inexpensive pistol It is an old school design that is all steel and higher quality than many of the cast and CNC machined mass produced 9mms of today. That is why it is more expensive.

Shoot a properly set up Hi-Power and you'll understand why they are so expensive.

If I had to ditch all my 9mms today and keep only one...I am keeping the Belgian Beauty.

...its that good.

- brickboy240

Great thanks a lot! Now I have to add yet another gun to my wanted listed!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If you shoot one....you will probably WANT one.

Mine is actually an Israeli State Security surplused pistol, made in the early 90s. It does not say "Browning on it anywhere, but only reads "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belguim" on one side of the slide. On the barrel, in the part visible through the ejection port, it reads "9mmNATO" and has the serial number. The serial number also appears on the slide and frame. It wears checkered walnut grips and has a very flat bluing that looks like parkerization.

This HP also has a cast frame, but the Israelis spec'd them that way, because the HP cast frames were actually harder than the milled ones and would stand up to their very hot IMI made 9mm rounds that they also use in the Uzis.

I bought it back in the late 90s, from Aim Surplus for 250 bucks (!!!).

A plain jane looking 9mm that shoots like the devil. Made a believer out of me.

The Hi-Power is not very popular in the USA, however, it is probably the most widely issued military 9mm in the world. All the British commonwealth countries issued this pistol for many years, as did several African countries and mid-eastern countries. There are photos of Saddam Hussein and Prince Harry carrying and shooting the Hi-Power! Novak also put together several customized HPs for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team in Quantico many years ago. The British SAS used this pistol for decades as well.

The Hi-Power HAS proven itself the world over....even if it is not that popular in the states.

Now...go get one and see why we love it! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Hi-Power, or P35, really is a defining moment in the history of the gun. It introduced the double-stack magazine to the masses and virtually guaranteed the 9x19 would be the West's standard pistol cartridge for decades to come. Even though a man named Saive finished it, it was John Moses Browning who designed the magazine, the extremely ergonomic grip, and the link-less barrel cam.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They are great pistols and have a great history behind them. Prices on Browning models have kept me from owning one of them, but I have had an Argentine and an FEG from Hungary. Both fine clones and affordable. I have seen more police trade ins on the gun auction sites recently, mostly the Israeli models. I have always been reluctant to buy off those sites though, I like to handle and inspect the gun before I buy it.
They are a classic design, as much as the 1911, Luger, or Walther PPK.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Best part of the Hi-Power is it's ergonomics.

Hold one in your hand and you'll forget all about the other double stack 9mms. Slim, trim and it points like a 1911. It is also a very slim pistol that hides easily.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Best part of the Hi-Power is it's ergonomics.

Hold one in your hand and you'll forget all about the other double stack 9mms. Slim, trim and it points like a 1911. It is also a very slim pistol that hides easily.

- brickboy240

Well, you'd forget all others unless you had a chance to spend some time with a P7M13...

I've often said that my HP is my second favorite 9mm...which only makes sense, since I could buy two for what my P7M13 ran me...;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts