Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, don't flame me too badly, but I have not been here lately and don't know if this has already been covered, but I heard from a buddy that a gun dealer told him that SA will not sell parts for the XD, so you need to send it in when parts wear out (I got about 10k through mine and no problems). My buddy countered that XD's have a lifetime warranty, the dealer told him that it does not count when it comes to wearing out through use, so he is going to get "absolutely ripped off" by SA when he has to replace worn out parts. The dealer got him to buy an HK instead. I wonder if someone can shed some light on this for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
See this thread:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=28321

To make a long story short, I have an XD9 that the extractor has gone bad after about 5k rounds. Springfield apparently has a list of parts that they will not sell, the extractor is on that list.

My gun went to Springfield on the 15th for a new extractor...was told to expect a two week turn around.

·
Registered
387 Posts
But in reality SA will no longer send you some parts. That does not mean they will not warranty the parts.

If you have a problem with a worn out part you must send you pistol back to SA for repair free of charge.

This makes it a pain for some that shoot competition.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Many people have worn out parts, and I havn't heard of any that were refused, unless they tinkered with the item.

I sent my SC back in to get the rear sight replaced, the pistol shot low, No questions asked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that is totally fine for me. As long as SA will fix, replace or change out any parts for free, I am okay with that. If they were charging for stuff and not selling the parts for it, I would be pissed off and I would also think that they are setting themselves up for a Class Action, as they once did sell the parts and then decided to stop selling the parts and start overcharging for replacementst etc. Thanks all.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Lets just assume that someone only has one weapon, an XD to defend his life and the lives of his family.

At the last trip to the range to practice with the XD he notices that his extractor or whatever is just starting to give problems.

He calls SA INC and asks them to overnight him the part and they refuse. He even tells them he will pay for the part and they still refuse.

So he has to send his only means of self defense off. He can't afford to buy another weapon and he does not know anyone to borrow one from. Or possibly he lives in some shithole liberal state where he has to wait several days before he can buy another gun.

The first night it is gone some gang bangers kick in his door and kill his wife and kids.

How would whoever at SA INC that made the new parts policy feel about that. How would this guy feel about SA and their parts policy?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bobby Lee said:
How would whoever at SA INC that made the new parts policy feel about that. How would this guy feel about SA and their parts policy?
I see your point here, but it's not Springfield's fault.

If we as a society weren't so quick to sue, they may reconsider. How's this for a scenario: You fiddle with your XD and screw it up. Next time you go to the range, your gun blows up in your hand and injures you or someone else. Next thing you know, you've got medical bills that need paid, and you decide it's Springfield's fault for your shoddy workmanship.

It's a CYA world out there and they're doing what they can to keep themselves at a low level of risk.

Alternately, they could sell parts to anyone, but to cover their increased insurance, they'd need to charge more for their pistols.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Alternately, they could sell parts to anyone, but to cover their increased insurance, they'd need to charge more for their pistols.
Oh bullshit, just how many companies offer 1911s and even more offer parts for the said pistol. I don't see prices costing tons of dollars to cover their insurance.

SA is just trying to be feel-good dipshits...thats all it boils down to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's a CYA world out there and they're doing what they can to keep themselves at a low level of risk.

The "no parts" policy only applies to the XD line. The rep at Springfield was ready to ship me an extractor when he thought I was asking for one for a 1911. It was only when I corrected him that I was told about the "restricted parts list" for the XD.

IMHO that pretty much shoots down the liability issue.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
ampleworks said:
Maybe. And I certainly know that I am not going to sway anyone's opinion on this subject. However, I personally consider the following:
1) Guns returned to SA are repaired by those well versed in the inner workings of the XD, suggesting a higher probability of sucessful repair than DIY work performed by the average XD owner.
2) The gun is available for examination for other potential issues. Is the part being requested for replacement the actual cause of the problem?
3) SA actually gets the assembly back for analysis. Maybe I've been in Engineering for too long, but I've often found the best way to do causal analysis is to have the suspect part in the original assembly.
4) SA actually get the part back. Selling replacement parts is basically a guarantee that you'll never see the old parts. Shipping replacement parts upon request, even with a customer promise of sending the old part back, is a fractional game. Was the cause material, heat treat, design, etc.? If the only data is Gee, we seem to be selling an awful lot of extractors, then there is no real way of knowing why.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
JD McDorce said:
ampleworks said:
Maybe. And I certainly know that I am not going to sway anyone's opinion on this subject. However, I personally consider the following:
1) Guns returned to SA are repaired by those well versed in the inner workings of the XD, suggesting a higher probability of sucessful repair than DIY work performed by the average XD owner.
2) The gun is available for examination for other potential issues. Is the part being requested for replacement the actual cause of the problem?
3) SA actually gets the assembly back for analysis. Maybe I've been in Engineering for too long, but I've often found the best way to do causal analysis is to have the suspect part in the original assembly.
4) SA actually get the part back. Selling replacement parts is basically a guarantee that you'll never see the old parts. Shipping replacement parts upon request, even with a customer promise of sending the old part back, is a fractional game. Was the cause material, heat treat, design, etc.? If the only data is Gee, we seem to be selling an awful lot of extractors, then there is no real way of knowing why.
Good analysis JD, and one that I agree with.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 on that, good points.

·
Registered
66 Posts
JD McDorce said:
ampleworks said:
If this is the case, then why will they provide a part for your 1911 but not for one of your XD's??

Could the fact that there is already a large aftermarket for 1911 parts have anything to do with their thinking? Aftermarket XD stuff is hard to find...maybe Springfield wants to keep it that way.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I believe that if SA continues it's policy concerning parts of the XD, then some enterprising individual or company will produce them after-market.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
deleted... :roll:

·
Registered
89 Posts
RKirby said:
If this is the case, then why will they provide a part for your 1911 but not for one of your XD's??

Could the fact that there is already a large aftermarket for 1911 parts have anything to do with their thinking? Aftermarket XD stuff is hard to find...maybe Springfield wants to keep it that way.
If I had to guess, I'd say that's probably got a bit to do with it. I'm sure they'd much rather control the aftermarket supply on 1911 parts too, but the simple fact is that the 1911 has been around for so long and from so many different companies this would be impossible.

Like I said before, it's CYA. From a liability standpoint, they really don't want us working on their pistols at all, I'm sure. With the 1911's though, they know that if we don't want to send our guns in to them to have fixed, we'll just buy whatever parts we can get our hands on. Therefore, them supplying us with the "correct" parts is the lesser of two evils for them.

With the XD, they control the parts stream. To expand on Frenchy's point, once this enterprising entity DOES start making aftermarket parts, SA may indeed loosen the restrictions for just that reason (provided they just don't sue them to stop).

This is all just my opinion / take on the whole deal though. No need for a holy war. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
So you would have to be an idiot to rely on an XD as you ONLY sorce of self defense firearm knowing that if something broke on it yoiu would have to be without it for a couple of weeks.

Personaly I don't have that problem. I have other weapons but I will never again reccomend an XD to anyone wishing to own one gun for self defense.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bobby Lee said:
So you would have to be an idiot to rely on an XD as you ONLY sorce of self defense firearm knowing that if something broke on it yoiu would have to be without it for a couple of weeks.

Personaly I don't have that problem. I have other weapons but I will never again reccomend an XD to anyone wishing to own one gun for self defense.
I'd say "idiot" would be harsh, but I'd say for the self-defense conscious, it would be wise to own more than one gun, no matter what make and model.

I love my XD (and will soon be buying a .45 ACP XD) but my go-to guns are *flame-suit-on* Glocks. They're durable and reliable. They're not conventionally attractive and they get their share of bad hype from some, but out of the 5 Glocks I've owned and the thousands of rounds put through each, I've NEVER had a malfunction of any kind.

That said, I can also work on them. Any component (with the exception of the serial-numbered frame) is available aftermarket (even factory-made parts) and can be swapped out literally in minutes. I've never had to use them, but for peace of mind, I keep a complete spare set of internals for each of my Glocks and TWO spare sets for my carry guns.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts