Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EoTech had to be sent off to the maker to get fixed so I decided I'd go back to shooting using the iron sights. I had to do some zeroing so I shot smoe rounds and noticed I needed to adjust my front sight post. Of course I take the mag out but when I went to pull the charging handle back to eject the chambered round it wouldn't budge. I had to smack the butt on the ground to get it loosened up enough that I was finally able to get the charging handle pulled back.

What problem do I need to solve and how?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Shooting reloads?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My EoTech had to be sent off to the maker to get fixed so I decided I'd go back to shooting using the iron sights. I had to do some zeroing so I shot smoe rounds and noticed I needed to adjust my front sight post. Of course I take the mag out but when I went to pull the charging handle back to eject the chambered round it wouldn't budge. I had to smack the butt on the ground to get it loosened up enough that I was finally able to get the charging handle pulled back.

What problem do I need to solve and how?
Are you shooting Wolf steel cased ammo then mixing in some other brass after?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sounds like the case was out of spec. Unless it's consistent problem I wouldn't worry about it.

Out of spec cases are normally limited to reloads but can occur from factory loads

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shooting reloads?
Sounds like the case was out of spec. Unless it's consistent problem I wouldn't worry about it.

Out of spec cases are normally limited to reloads but can occur from factory loads
Yes .... 95% of my AR ammo are my own handloads. I inspect and trim all brass. I shot all summer long without a hiccup. Then last weekend it happened once and today once. Kinda weird since this hasn't happened at all until recently. Perhaps several thousand rounds and then twice in as many weekends.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Kev, what die set are you using?

What you are describing is very common in a semi-auto, especially AR's, when one is not using a small base sizer die. If you are, then you may not have it adjusted far enough. Do you have a case gauge (not just length, but shoulder and whole case)?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yes .... 95% of my AR ammo are my own handloads. I inspect and trim all brass. I shot all summer long without a hiccup. Then last weekend it happened once and today once. Kinda weird since this hasn't happened at all until recently. Perhaps several thousand rounds and then twice in as many weekends.
Like T.J. stated sound like you have a round out of spec. Maybe your sizing die has worked itself up a bit or you might have not done a full arm extension on the sizing step. I had the same problem a while back, turns out my sizing die was a bit loose and the shoulder on the case as out of spec.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kev, what die set are you using?

What you are describing is very common in a semi-auto, especially AR's, when one is not using a small base sizer die. If you are, then you may not have it adjusted far enough. Do you have a case gauge (not just length, but shoulder and whole case)?
Like T.J. stated sound like you have a round out of spec. Maybe your sizing die has worked itself up a bit or you might have not done a full arm extension on the sizing step. I had the same problem a while back, turns out my sizing die was a bit loose and the shoulder on the case as out of spec.
I bought a brand new Hornady LnL press and dies last winter so my gut says that wouldn't be the culprit. Because of the way the LnL works I have to do a full arm extension to make each station work properly.

If I had a case out of speck wouldn't I have a failure to eject as well as having a cartridge stuck in the chamber when I went to manually eject it? I haven't experienced iny FTE's at all ... even after taking that same cartridge that was stuck and putting it back in a mag and shooting it.

Guess I should take bidah's advice and get a case gauge.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I bought a brand new Hornady LnL press and dies last winter so my gut says that wouldn't be the culprit. Because of the way the LnL works I have to do a full arm extension to make each station work properly.

If I had a case out of speck wouldn't I have a failure to eject as well as having a cartridge stuck in the chamber when I went to manually eject it? I haven't experienced iny FTE's at all ... even after taking that same cartridge that was stuck and putting it back in a mag and shooting it.

Guess I should take bidah's advice and get a case gauge.
Not really because the case shoulder or body close to the head, is out of spec it will cause the case to stick to the chamber as it's loaded but once it's fired the case will fire from to the chamber then as it cools, contract allowing for easier extraction. Since the shoulder is too long or the case not sized at the head area, the bolt crams it into the chamber causing it to stick. If the case was out of spec enough it would cause the bolt to not close. When you eject the round, without firing it you will notice scratches on the case. where it was hanging.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
its possible there could have been slight defects in the two cases that could not see that caused the jams.

its the nature of reloading, you can make high quality ammo for a cheaper price but you run the risk of missing small defects that could result in jams.

how many times are you using your brass before retiring it?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Actually Kev, which Hornady dies did you get? I have had the exact issue with the New Dimension dies as they are meant for bolt guns and are not small base dies. I could get ammo that worked about 90% of the time, but never get the 100 even at the lowest setting. Once I switched, no problems at all.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually Kev, which Hornady dies did you get? I have had the exact issue with the New Dimension dies as they are meant for bolt guns and are not small base dies. I could get ammo that worked about 90% of the time, but never get the 100 even at the lowest setting. Once I switched, no problems at all.
I do have the New Dimension dies. So which die do you suggest I get to help eliminate my problem?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Apologies, I was out on a hunting trip..

RCBS makes a small base die, and the LEE ones are small base. I ended up getting the Dillon dies this time as they are small base and I am running a Dillon. I ran the LEE ones for years on a single stage, and then the Dillon and never had a problem with them.

A case gauge, such as the one from Dillon, is critical. Once I figured out how to properly read what it was telling me, I can check my ammo really fast and find bad ones quickly. I just had to figure out how far to kick that base down to get the 100 percent reliability I wanted.

The New Dimension dies make fantastic ammo for my bolt rifle. So now I have to mark my ammo as bolt specific. Fortunately I do not have to feed it much.. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts