Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hillman said:
What's the duration of the phosphorescence after lights-out?
This is a very dense phosphorescent paint.

The initial glow is very intense and fades after time.
The first 15 minutes is very bright, brighter than tritium indeed.

To make the sights glow a brief exposure to an LED lamp is necessary.
After an hour or so the glow can only be appreciated if your eyes have been under darkness.
Under this conditions, the sights (make them big) can be see 'till early in the morning.

There's some confusion abut this, some users will flash the sights, put them in a closet, go have dinner and come back later and they don't see anything....

If you read the first paragraph, you know why, yes?
That's right: If they come from a brightly illuminated room into darkness they are basically blind....even if there is a glow you can't see it.

However, no problem, just flash it again, you are ready to go.

You've guessed it...Strategy is foremost.

With this product you'll be able to( included but not limited to):
-Get rid of varmint outdoors, in sheds, etc.
-Still hunt or spot and stalk hunting.
-Perform a safety check in a dark environment (law enforcement).
-Enter a building in daylight and your sights will be bright in low light conditions (law enforcement).
-Pinpoint the location of small objects or light switches ( glow film)
-Customize fishing lures

Of course one can do this without it or with something else, anyways, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

It's one more choice, but they are advantages to use Glow-On vs tritium, lasers, bright paint, red dots:

-If you have several firearms with plain white dots or plain irons small vial will last you more than a couple dozen guns!
-White dots or bare irons can be covered in minutes.
-There'so need to send your firearm to the gunsmith or pay installation fees.
-No tools are needed.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just in case you'd like to see the glow of our product compared to something you might find at the store:

All those stars (US 5.00) don't have enough glow put together to fill this small dot over the container.....

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
stronger the light you charge with the brighter they get.
when I have time I will clock the actual time. maybe this weekend lol

The guy posting above, gator is who I bought the glow on from on eBay. Fast shipper and a Great product. I have holstered and unholstered this revolver atleast 500x and paint is still there. Just be sure to prep properly, give adequate dry time in between applications, and don't forget the Lear nail polish after layers have cured. This stuff works great on my revolver where the front sight is fixed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stronger the light you charge with the brighter they get.
when I have time I will clock the actual time. maybe this weekend lol

The guy posting above, gator is who I bought the glow on from on eBay. Fast shipper and a Great product. I have holstered and unholstered this revolver atleast 500x and paint is still there. Just be sure to prep properly, give adequate dry time in between applications, and don't forget the Lear nail polish after layers have cured. This stuff works great on my revolver where the front sight is fixed.

This is a great image.
When we change the way we do things, things change the way they work for us...
I suppose you can call it "Thinking outside the box"

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QKShooter said:
"To make the sights glow a brief exposure to an LED lamp is necessary.
After an hour or so the glow can only be appreciated if your eyes have been under darkness.
Under this conditions, the sights (make them big) can be see 'till early in the morning."

I can attest to the fact that this is true. Once your eyes have acclimated to darkness you can see this stuff still glowing for an extremely long time.

If you somehow manage to wreck your night vision then of course you will not see the glow once it becomes fainter...until your eyes readjust to the darkness.

I have only tested the GREEN but, I did fully charge it at night and before dawn I could still see the stuff glowing. So that is no B.S.
Well put.
One more image:

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will this material hold up to cleaning with Hoppes 9 and
other spray cleaners?
Yes it will hold.
Make sure the surface is clean before you apply the paint.
Degreasers are not recommended as they add an oily film, the paint application will fail.....

Use 95% alcohol or better and paper towel to clean all traces of oil.
Place the paint as thickly as you can and let it dry, if you need to apply another layer, wait 30 min between layers.
Let it dry for a day before a you apply a transparent coat of nail polish.
The paint will continue to cure and harden now.

You could apply paint generously over the whole gun sight area and after thirty minues, when the paint has a consistency semi solid, you can just trim the edges to shape it.
Just like pie crust befor you bake it, just like that!

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ferris4all said:
This is very new to me, would you please explain what you mean by " trim the edges to shape it." after you apply paint over them? I'd like to do the very same thing with my lugger antebellum
Simple, the paint is very dense, so dense it will dry to form a solid form, while it dries, after thirty minutes, you can trim it to shape it, (unlike traditional paint which is basically a flat film).

Here's an example of this:

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The narrower the gap between rear and front sights, the more accurate the shot...
The bigger and consequently, easier to see, sights the better chances you have to hit a target

1 - 11 of 11 Posts