Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions. I'm looking at the XD 45 and I'm wondering if there is any advantage with the tactical v/s the 5 " compact. I know the compact is a little more versital in carry but I have 3 cc guns already (XD 9 SC is my fav) . I'm more interested in the internal parts. I want something that will cut holes ( If I can ! ) :roll: Also is the 5 " that much better than the 4 " ? And finally, if it's legal in my state, would this be something I could use to take out a deer at around 35 yards ?? Sheeeew, I know that's alot so thanks in advance !!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
psc, sorry your arss is gone but I thought it was a valid QUESTION . Compare 357 mag. and 45 auto at 50 yrds using the closest type ammo because Remington's ballistic chart claims at 50 yards using a brass jacketed hollow point ( most comparible ) :

357 mag - 4 '' bbl
125 gr
v - 1095 fps
e - 333 ft lbs

45 auto - 5 '' bbl
185 gr
v - 951 fps
e - 372 ft lbs
I have hunting rifles but thought why not try one with a handgun. Anyway, my main concern is about the tactical v/s compact comparison.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hello fellow NCer..... I have a .45 Tatical and a .45 Compact. They both shoot the same until you get to 25+ Yards. That is when the 1" extra length helps out. I have about 50 rounds through the Tatical and 200+ through the Compact....... Tatical is accurate even further with the TLR2 light /Laser from Streamlight. 12 rounds in the head at 35 Yards is nice to say the least. Killing a Deer is Legal and easily attainable with the .45 Tatical. I know this for a fact :cool:

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I don't know where you're getting your .357 mag stats...but most hunting loads are going to moving A LOT faster then 1000 fps. You should be adding at least 500 fps to those figures for good hunting cartridges with similar bullet weights.

You can do whatever you want...just better make sure you know where your aiming with that .45 auto. Not terribly sportsman-like to try and take a deer with an inferior cartridge.

If you're never going to CC the gun, don't get the compact. If you are, get the compact...the smaller grip is worth it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks boost. SA has the compact in 5" and that's what I am leaning towards as long as the mag option is the only difference. Didn't know if the tactical had a different trigger or any other goodies inside. By the way are you around the capital area ? I'm about 1 hr. east

·
Registered
246 Posts
Taking a Deer with the .45 is at Bow Distances...... And just like shooting a Bow you must pratice and know that you can hit where you are aiming.... Even up in a tree stand!!! Pratice and it is easily attainable..... Avoid Head SHOTS... Shoot broadside only and aim for the lungs. A .45 will go through a mans jacket, shirt, ribs, while tearing a huge hole. Deer really stand no chance at surviving a well placed shot...... I have saw many Deer taken with a 22 MAG... Legal= NO Dead= YES ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I might pop a deer in the head if it walked out right on me but DEFINATLEY not a 35yds. My 45 Tactical accuracy is excellent.The longer sight radius is easier to hit with at a distance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks boost. SA has the compact in 5" and that's what I am leaning towards as long as the mag option is the only difference. Didn't know if the tactical had a different trigger or any other goodies inside. By the way are you around the capital area ? I'm about 1 hr. east
I live in Central NC near Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte...... My brother lives in Raleigh..... He is a Gun Nut also ;)........... No difference inside at all. Just a 1" longer barrel..... I have both if you want to go to Calibers in Greensboro and try them out. Bring your ammo :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
I might pop a deer in the head if it walked out right on me but DEFINATLEY not a 35yds. My 45 Tactical accuracy is excellent.The longer sight radius is easier to hit with at a distance.
Shooting at a Deer's head is very risky. You could hit them in the snout and cause them days of agony/suffering..... 35 Yards with a .45 is Meat in the freezer anyday on a Whitetail Deer...... A NC Deer that is. Canada/Upper States I would question the penetration of the dense hair and skin. 9mm work great also..... In NC as long as the gun is a higher caliber then .25 auto it is legal to Hunt with.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I don't know how big your deer are in NC, but in MI I would opt for a neck shot with a .45 auto. If I had a real hot .357 in a lever gun (or at least 8" wheel gun) I could go broadside...there's just too much meat to go through. I don't think your typical handgun caliber has the balls to get to anything important. A well placed neck shot should drop it right there, though.

If they're pretty small you might be able to get away with it...I'd rather just use a more powerful caliber, though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joeywhat, I was just using that round because they weren't showing any 45 hunting loads ( I know, HINT, HINT ). I did see the 357 mag 165 gr. jhp core-lokt @ 50 yards was v - 1200 e - 518. And I agree with you , I consider myself a humane sportsman. THANKS

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Remington Model 700 .270 has enough I think as far as velocity and fpe but shooting one with the pistol is just a better feeling. Set up a ground blind that will bring the deer CLOSE (10 to 20 Yards)..... Squeeze the trigger and enjoy Backstraps

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
If you'd like to use a .45 ACP frame gun for hunting, I'd suggest grabbing a .400 corbon barrel for it. Offers a bit more energy then even the hot .45 auto loads, and barrels are available for XD's. It should get near 10mm performance, and you should also be able to use existing mags/springs since it's a relatively low pressure round, and the parent case is .45 ACP.

That should give you the best of both worlds. A new barrel shouldn't be much more then $100.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have actually looked at the Glock in 10mm for that very reason. 1 a year at 15 Yards is easy and just as exciting as Bow Hunting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for answering the facts about the gun. I'm going tomorrow to get some prices, got a little xmas money to spend before 21 days. As far as the opinions on deer hunting with the gun, I'll see how confident I can get with it and time will tell. Boost I appreciate the offer but wish I'd known Saturday. I just got back from Rutherfordton county and stopped in G boro at chick fil a off of 85, I think around exit 142. I just came through your way about 10 pm. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The ground blind set-up is the reason I wanted to know. I hunt woods that is loaded with deer but right now it's small pines and thick too ,no good place to hang a stand. But I figured with a handgun I can get in quitely and have close shots.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Legal or not, if a deer pulls a knife on me he's goin down :evil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts