Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'd like to please ask for people not to start flaming all over this thread because of what I am about to ask. Thanks! :D

Now, I love my xdm compact. To me, its the best gun ever and thats why i bought it! haha. I've loved the new version of hawaii five-o and i noticed a lot of sigs on the show. I understand mcgarret has a p226 because the navy adopted it (im assuming?), and dano has a p229. not so sure about the others. but it got me thinking, why sig? i have seen some threads about the decline of sig or "sigs just aint what they used to be."

I guess my real question is: what makes a sig a good enough pistol to have such a high price tag? is the quality really that awesome, or is it because sig is an import or used to be an import? or is it really just the cost of the name?

Im not looking for knee jerk responses, rather educated and concise answers.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
SIG SAUER has produced some mighty fine handguns over the years. I can't speak authoritatively to their current quality but the P226 was good enough to be one of two pistols to make it to the final round of the XM9 Service Pistol Trials held by the U.S. Army in 1984. Ultimately, the Beretta M9 won out because of a lower total cost and slightly better durability.

The P226 is currently good enough to be utilized by the Navy SEALs. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

With that said, I think SIG has tried to come down market a bit with some of their newer models. I've "fondled" a couple and they just don't seem to have the quality of the P226's.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Quality and price rarely ever share a cause/effect relationship in today's consumer culture. If it did, some brands would skyrocket in price, and others would tank. Sig sells their pistols, like any other manufacturer, priced at a balance between profit goals and marketing effectiveness.

If you want a good example of what marketing can do to the price of a firearm, compare the original HS2000 price to the price of the XD. That's not to say that lackluster quality can be overcome by brand name alone. If it could, the S&W Sigma would likely cost near as much as a P226.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sig Sauer is one of the few pistols from the wonder nine era that rose to the occasion by not being a jam o matic. Glock and the beretta m9 are also good examples. All durable, all reliable and until recently they only really competed with each other (with the exception of the great caveat, and always wild card 1911).

So yeah, your xdm, the s&w m&p, ruger sr9, and taurus 24/7 will probably be as good as these older designs, but they are the tested designs that will work. No new gun bugs to sort through, plus they all have decent aftermarket support for holsters, and sights. As for Sigs decline in quality, my p290 runs flawlesly, just like my p245, and a p6 that I had before that.

Reliabilty, proven time and time again since the 80s when some of us were wearing huggies (myself included) to some people is a big deal. As for the cost side, I agree that they are overpriced, especially, considering that both glocks, and berettas are cheaper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts