Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Ameriglos from pistol gear (great service BTW). Instead of paying to have a gunsmith install them like I did on my service XD, I decided to try to install them myself on my SC. I did the freezer thing like mentioned on earlier threads. The old sights came out with no trouble. The new ones installed with no tools whatsoever, just finger pressure. I had to take them off and put loctite on them to keep them in place. After everything warmed up and dried, they seem to be held in place quite well. Is there any reason for anyone to have a gunsmith install their sights? This was just way too easy. Am I just lucky or is this the way it is for most people?

·
Registered
49 Posts
well, I just got my ameriglos too from PG, awesome service too.
Did the freezer thing... but my sights won't come off. They're jammed in there pretty tight! :x

How hard did you pound that sucker off???? :cry:

Or how long did you leave that in the freezer first of all?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left my slide in the freezer for 20 minutes. It really didn't seem that cold. I just tapped fairly lightly on the front sight with a 32 oz hammer and brass drift. The rear sight was kind of loose before hand and it took just a very light tap to get it off as well. I also did the exit and entry of the sights from the left hand (opposite the ejection port) side.

·
Registered
533 Posts
my sights were welded on..

I pounded and pounded, no luck, so I took them to the smith. he put it on a sight press and broke the front sight right off. he finally got it with a brass punch and a big hammer...

pain in the but.. no reason for the darn things to be on there that tight..

·
Registered
49 Posts
wow, then mine must be real tight like a virgin %^&^%& because after 10 min in the freezer, it still wouldn't come out, even with excessive force. I'm gonna leave it in longer this time, see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did the freezer trick, shattered half of my brass punches, and finally got it with the largest punch in my set (don't remember size) and some serious pounding. When I looked right in the center of where my sights were sitting, I saw the dull tell-tale red of loctite in there! Needless to say, it was a bear gettin em out. :)

Matthew

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
87-51 said:
I left my slide in the freezer for 20 minutes. It really didn't seem that cold. I just tapped fairly lightly on the front sight with a 32 oz hammer and brass drift. The rear sight was kind of loose before hand and it took just a very light tap to get it off as well. I also did the exit and entry of the sights from the left hand (opposite the ejection port) side.
You were lucky!
Some guns feed WWB with no problem, some don't. Some guns break ejectors easily, some don't. Some guns shoot POA, some don't. Some sights are in tight, some aren't. Count your blessings.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wouldn't putting the slide in the freezer contract the slide and sight? The best thing would be to heat the slide and cool the sight but I have no idea how you'd do this. For inserting the new sight, warm the slide and cool the sight, right? What am I missing?

WyoBob

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
WyoBob said:
Wouldn't putting the slide in the freezer contract the slide and sight? The best thing would be to heat the slide and cool the sight but I have no idea how you'd do this. For inserting the new sight, warm the slide and cool the sight, right? What am I missing?

WyoBob
I would love to know how to do this!
I am thinking that it would be pretty hard!
Just a though on sight alignment....how do you know that they are properly aligned? After you install new ones?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the sight alignment, I measured the distance from the edge of the old ones with a dial caliper. They were about the same distance. I then measured to the edges of the new ones and adjusted them until they were about the same distance too. I haven't sighted the gun in yet, but I imagine it should be very close. If you look on the slide there are two raised lines in the dovetail on either side of each sight. All of the XDs I have seen have the sight exactly between these lines.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
87-51 said:
On the sight alignment, I measured the distance from the edge of the old ones with a dial caliper. They were about the same distance. I then measured to the edges of the new ones and adjusted them until they were about the same distance too. I haven't sighted the gun in yet, but I imagine it should be very close. If you look on the slide there are two raised lines in the dovetail on either side of each sight. All of the XDs I have seen have the sight exactly between these lines.
I will file that away for future reference!
:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
According to the Loctite website, it will lose over half of it's strength when heated up to 212 degrees. Maybe putting that slide in the oven would help to break the loctite bond, before removing the old sights?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I gave the "heat the slide, cool the sight" idea a little thought as far a sight removal goes. Possibly you could warm the slide with a hair dryer (or paint stripper, just be really careful) and then spray "canned air" in the sight to cool it? The slide would be a pretty good heat sink and wouldn't cool down nearly as quickly as a front or rear sight being sprayed. A thin tube that fits in the nozzle (like what comes with WD40) would be a more precise way to hit only the sight.

WyoBob

·
Registered
18 Posts
My gunsmith is an OLD hand. Said that the XD was the toughest he had ever seen tougher than Kimber which he thought no one could beat. Bent his sight pusher before he went to punches and said tool an incredible effort to get'em off!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think the trick to the rear sights is that you have to remove them in a certain direction. Not sure what it is, but those who do it right have no problems. Those who go the other way have no luck and sometimes mangle the sights.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The way I did it, like I said, was the way someone on here mentioned before. The sights should go out and come in from the left side. I think someone said here a long time ago that the dovetails are tapered in one direction?

·
Registered
388 Posts
You got lucky. My front sight wouldn't budge, so I gave in and went to a gunsmith. His 3.5 ton press failed to do anything, so he resorted to the BFH and brass punch combo. The front sight eventually came out, but it was broken in the process. Fortunately, installing the new Ameriglo Speed Rings was much less difficult and I'm very happy with the end result.

For those who plan to install their own sights, I strongly recommend investing in a 1" diameter delrin rod (about $6/ft). The piece I had laying around made for the best drift punch ever.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You could try heating the slide in the oven.... then taking something like a dry ice pen (used to kill warts) and put it on the top of the sight, after little while it should freeze the sight but the surrounding slide should still be hot. Thus causing the sight to contract (slightly but maybe enough to loosen it.

Could use ice too but you would have to set the ice down and hold the slide upside down with the top of the sight resting on it to prevent the cold water from dripping onto the slide and cooling it off prematurely.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
thebishopp said:
You could try heating the slide in the oven.... then taking something like a dry ice pen (used to kill warts) and put it on the top of the sight, after little while it should freeze the sight but the surrounding slide should still be hot. Thus causing the sight to contract (slightly but maybe enough to loosen it.

Could use ice too but you would have to set the ice down and hold the slide upside down with the top of the sight resting on it to prevent the cold water from dripping onto the slide and cooling it off prematurely.
Dont forget to strip the slide first, there is a plastic bushing in the firing pin indicator hole.

I have a brass hammer that works rather well :wink:
best bet is to have them done for $20.00 or so and consider it money well spent avoiding the freaking headaches.

·
Registered
53 Posts
LOL whoops, forgot about that.... yes gotta remove the plastic parts.
I took my sights off of my compact with a Steel Punch and a whole lotta whacks with a full size hammer... am prepping it for a duracoat finish.

I am thinking of trying the oven/ice trick with my service size when I get ready to do that one.

The local gun shops have started turning away xd site work saying it is more trouble than it's worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts