Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XD9 that is 6 months old and has a worsening extraction problem.It has been ultra reliable for the first five months, but the past month the extraction problem has gone from a minor annoyance to a major PITA. Changing ammo brands made no difference.

I stripped the slide last weekend before my son's IDPA match to check the extractor and found the top corner of the extractor claw has rounded off. I squared it up as much as possible with a file, touched up the blueing and put it all back together. It's better now but not 100% reliable..three FTE's in 200 rounds instead of at least one every 15 round mag before.

I contacted Springfield customer service today, explained the situation and requested they send me a new extractor. I was told that this is a part that they could not (or would not) ship and I would have to send the gun to them for repair.

The issued me an RMA number but I have to pay up front for the FedEx overnight shipping (about $50.00). They will refund the shipping charges IF THEY AGREE that the problem is covered under the warranty. If not, I guess I'm out the $50.00. :evil:

If I had known of the problem getting parts I don't think I would have ever bought my two XD's. This has to be the dumbest policy I've come across yet...Springfield is going to be out $50.00 plus return shipping in addition to labor to replace a $10.00 part that I'm perfectly capable of replacing myself. I'll also be without the gun for at least two weeks.

They also may have lost a customer.......that stainless Loaded 1911 that I've been wanting is starting to look a lot less attractive.

Oh, BTW..this policy only applies to the XD line. They would not have a problem shipping me an extractor for a 1911!!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You get no arguments from me on this, I totaly agree that this is the worst policy they could have possibly adapted.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I didn't realize that you couldn't buy replacement parts online until I started reading the forums. A XD was already in my possession. It does suck but the most important thing is having a functioning firearm that won't hurt you or others around you.
Put it this way, get it fixed and I'm sure someone will gladly take it off your hands if the price is right. That's my plan if I run into consistent problems. Once or twice is fine. 3 strikes and you're out. My XD has been flawless so far. I'm happy.
I was a previous Glock owner and loved buying parts online. It was like owning another 1911. Parts were readily available online as well as instructions on how to do things.
I wouldn't sweat their 1911. EVERYTHING can be purchased online. Parts are cheap.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Problem is, now since you filed it, it will be an owner caused problem? Tough situation. What to do now? Did you ask them about this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MtnCamper said:
Problem is, now since you filed it, it will be an owner caused problem? Tough situation. What to do now? Did you ask them about this?
Indeed it is a tough situation!

The problem existed before I worked on the extractor. As I said, it's better now but not fixed either. I guess I'll wait and see what Springfield has to say.

This could end up being a $100.00 extractor. :evil:

I guess what really makes me mad is that an extractor is a service part that will have to be replaced occasionally on a gun that is used as much as my two XD's are. Will I have to go through this BS every time an extractor or firing pin spring needs to be replaced?

I'd even be willing to buy an extractor, but they won't even sell me one!

Don't get the wrong idea...I'm very satisfied with my two XD's to this point. I think they are one the best buys in the polymer pistol market.

It's Springfield's crazy parts policy that will be the gun's downfall....and that's a cryin' shame!!

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
That's what can happen when you go from an owner run company to a CEO run company. Probably lots of recorded messages, push one to speakee english etc. What parts? We ain't got no stinking parts. Once the owners figure out the CEO is loseing them money things will change. Someday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one-eyed-fatman said:
That's what can happen when you go from an owner run company to a CEO run company. Probably lots of recorded messages, push one to speakee english etc. What parts? We ain't got no stinking parts. Once the owners figure out the CEO is loseing them money things will change. Someday.
Actually, the two times I have called Springfield about this problem I got through to a real person very quickly. Both were very courteous and almost apologetic concerning Springfields policy.

Can't blame the employees for the company's poor judgment. :(

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
RKirby said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
Actually, the two times I have called Springfield about this problem I got through to a real person very quickly. Both were very courteous and almost apologetic concerning Springfields policy.

Can't blame the employees for the company's poor judgment. :(
Good, glad to hear that. I've never had any problems with my XD. Hope I never do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey,
Springfield may say that you need to ship it overnight fed-es or UPS (at the high rate), but its crap. IF ups or fed-ex will ship it fast,t hey will also ship it slow. I've shipped ups groud to ruger, ajames, kel-tec, taurus, etc multiple times ups ground, declaring what the item was each time and shipping insured for about 12$ each time. If the up front money and possible non reimbursement is the issue, this may be the way to go. Springfield told me the same thing they told you and the rep ahd never heard of shipping non-overnight. She recieved a quick education, it was sent ground, and arrived just fine. Now maybe if I write them la letter and save the money on the reimbursements to customers for eorbitant shipping, maybe they'll give a new socom for my trouble... :wink:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
had to send mine back to SA for the cracked locking block repair. A real PITA cause I really couldn't afford to ship it AND buy teh tac light I had planned on getting. They did fix my gun, the did reimberse my shipping, but the availability of the light is gone. No tac light for me : (

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aaroncstevens said:
Hey,
Springfield may say that you need to ship it overnight fed-es or UPS (at the high rate), but its crap. IF ups or fed-ex will ship it fast,t hey will also ship it slow. I've shipped ups groud to ruger, ajames, kel-tec, taurus, etc multiple times ups ground, declaring what the item was each time and shipping insured for about 12$ each time. If the up front money and possible non reimbursement is the issue, this may be the way to go. Springfield told me the same thing they told you and the rep ahd never heard of shipping non-overnight. She recieved a quick education, it was sent ground, and arrived just fine. Now maybe if I write them la letter and save the money on the reimbursements to customers for eorbitant shipping, maybe they'll give a new socom for my trouble... :wink:
Hmmm...that might be worth looking into, but IIRC, it's FedEx and UPS written policy that handguns may only be shipped overnight air. Seems it's designed to keep their employees honest. :wink:

They only know what you tell them is in the package, but if the gun was lost or damaged in transit they would probably deny responsibility.

I believe only an FFL holder can ship ground.

·
Registered
415 Posts
RKirby said:
I have an XD9 that is 6 months old and has a worsening extraction problem.It has been ultra reliable for the first five months, but the past month the extraction problem has gone from a minor annoyance to a major PITA. Changing ammo brands made no difference.
Do you drop the slide on a loaded chamber or load only with an inserted mag?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nogoa said:
Do you drop the slide on a loaded chamber or load only with an inserted mag?
Not sure I understand your question, however...this particular gun is used by my son for IDPA/IDSA competition.

All initial loadings are with an empty chamber.

Reloads are either slide lock reloads (empty chamber and mag) or tactical reloads with a loaded chamber and the slide in battery. At no time would the slide be dropped on a loaded chamber.

I think I know where you are going with this. The extractor does not appear to be damaged, just worn. Even though this gun is only about 6 months old, it's had alot of rounds down the pipe.

I don't have a problem with the need to replace the extractor considering the number of rounds through this gun...just the number of hoops I have to jump through to get it done.

Something this simple shouldn't be this difficult.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It depends on who you talk to at SA.

The average person you get on the phone has no idea what an extractor is.

If you keep calling back you may find someone that is willing to help you.

I went through hell trying to get a part replaced on a rifle. At first they said I had to send the entire rifle back because the part had to be "fitted".

That was 100% BS. Anyone could replace this part.

After several calls I finaly got to talk to someone that knew what they were doing and I got my part.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is obvious to anyone that understands gun design that the internal extractor of the XD is it's weakest link.

This extractor WILL sooner or later loose it's tension or wear and it has to fail.

If someone does not come up with a sorce of good quality extractors I will be getting rid of my XD.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
nognig said:
Why don't you just buy a new extractor from ajames? $20

Factory Parts

NN
Could you not see the big red letters stating
Until further notice We are no longer selling any more parts.
We are abiding by Springfield Armorys new policys and apologize for any inconvience. If you
ordered any parts you will be issued a refund. :roll:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
"If I had known of the problem getting parts I don't think I would have ever bought my two XD's."

+1

I bought my XD's before they changed the policy. One of the reasons I purchased from Springfield is because they used to be consumer and parts friendly. I was considering a tactical to add to the collection, but no longer.

I have bought many Springfield products in the past, but I am done with them (and have sent an e-mail explaining why).

·
Registered
149 Posts
I sent an email to Springfield this evening and linked this thread. I'll let you know when the reply comes down.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts