Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my copy of the Idpa tactical journal. There is a survey from the shooters at the nationals. Of the 243 shooters that reload, 199 use a Dillon, 19 Hornady, 14 Lee, the rest something else. So what does it mean? I don't know either, just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
It means there are 33 people that haven't upgraded yet. ;)

Reactions: Bozz10mm

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It means there are 33 people that haven't upgraded yet. ;)
Yeah. I was thinking something like that. You don't get to be a master or expert shooter without trigger time, you have less trigger time if you are spending more time at the loading bench. So while some may say sheeple, others will say follow the experts advice. Just thought I would stir the pot one last time this year.:D

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
199 over paid? :shock: :roll: :twisted:
:lol:
My time is worth way more than the cost of even a 1050, if I wanted one. Lee makes a great light weight door stop though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I'm surprised 14 use Lee.

Hard to overstate how much better my Hornady stuff is than the Lee progressive I had was.

Reactions: mongoose33

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
It means that 199 people did their research, chose to buy American made equipment with the best warranty in the business...it also means they likely cranked out more ammo in less time with fewer SNAFUs...

People can poke fun at me all they like...I bought a Dillon for the same reason I bought a Springfield Handgun--excellent reputation and Top Notch Customer Service you won't likely ever need but will be glad you have if you do...

Reactions: slugger6 and 100968

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
it means I'm in the saving process to get a Dillon 550. I've been wanting one for about a year now. what an upgrade from a Lee single to the mighty Dillon. hopefully soon I will join the ranks ! lol

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think far too many shooters buy into the cheaper tool argument Lee makes. I even buy higher end hammers. Why, because they don't fail when I need them the most. Cheap tools do the same job as more expensive tools, just not as reliably.
Ultimately, the cost of the reloading gear is minimal, even if buying a fully loaded 650 for $1200. over 20yrs, $5/month. ANYONE can afford $5/m. For that I get trouble free reloading, which is why I bought a progressive in the first place.:cool:

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
it means I'm in the saving process to get a Dillon 550. I've been wanting one for about a year now. what an upgrade from a Lee single to the mighty Dillon. hopefully soon I will join the ranks ! lol
a wise man...I cannot imagine life without mine, so much so I am buying another in the Spring :cool:

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Any money a Lee progressive owner thinks he's saving over his having bought a Dillon will soon be spent on Valium!!:)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At that level, how many had a Dillion bought for them?
I bet less than a 5. Most of the shooters @ Nationals or Worlds or whatever, are not sponsored shooters. Even if they are, they probably don't reload, their ammo is paid for or if they do reload, they already bought their gear before becoming sponsored. It's not like you go buy your first handgun & make Master level shooter & get sponsored?? It takes many 1000s of rounds to reach a skill level of expert & above. So we reload to shoot more for less. I don't love reloading, so I want to spend the least time doing it. My time is worth $$.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Odds are the answer is blue, but I still wonder what brand the top 10 shooters use.
The top ten would likely be master shooters that are sponsored. A good bet most don't load their own. If they do, time would be crucial, a 1050 would be a minimum. With bullet feeder, over 1000rds/hr would be pretty easy. No one else makes anything even close for the $$.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
It means they completely ignored RCBS for a reason. Hard to believe not one of the 243 uses RCBS.
I thought that was odd too. My first press decades ago was a Rock Chucker.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It means they completely ignored RCBS for a reason. Hard to believe not one of the 243 uses RCBS.
This will change with the new rcbs progressive. I think the current primer strip thing is off putting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts