Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so its getting to be fall planting time, what do you have germinating or what are you going to be planting?

I'm doing my planting based on this:
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1005.pdf

Problem is i'm a little worried that its still to hot for the lettuce and spinich here in Az, been really hot, really late, actually it is suposed to hit 100+ till sunday luckily nothing is going in the bed till early next week and I may germinate some more lettuce and spinich if the stuff doesn't make it.

well i've got lettuce, spinich, onions, collards, carrots, broccoli, and cucumber going.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
We've already had 2 killer frosts. I envy you warm spot guys...

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
TFG,

Have you called the Desert Botanical Garden to ask about when to plant your stuff? Make a visit out there and talk to the guides. They love to talk about their plants and gardens.

·
Registered
42 Posts
nothing as of yet. i'm moving onto 10 acres at the end of the year and plan to convert a 10x20 metal carport (the kind with the 2" square aluminum skeleton) into a raised bed greenhouse. 1200 gallon rainwater storage, drip system, so on and so forth.

i'll have chickens and goats eventually - maybe a pig. SHTF is becoming my new favorite subforum as i start to think about fortifying to bug-in on my land :)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Stuff going in constantly, on a rotation basis, and more stuff going in this weekend, but the lettuce, I'm gonna wait a few more weeks.

TFG,
I reference that guide ... It's a good one.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've already had 2 killer frosts. I envy you warm spot guys...
It has its benifits but for planting it isnt the greatest. My tomatoes burnt to a chrisp last year without even producing fruit, same with my peppers. could have been that I had them in pots that dried out very fast which is why i'm making two 6x3 raised beds. the sun is very strong here, especially in the afternoon so I'm placing them on a side of the house that doesn't get that much afternoon sun but they should get sun from 0730-1400 during the winter.

TES,
Haven't been to the Botanical garden in almost two years, I've taked with a few nursaries close to me who have all expressed consern for starting my lettuce while its still so hot, but they feel that if they fail i'll have time to seed more.

AZXD,
What are you planting? whats going in and out of your beds? How do you but nutrients back into your soil?

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
AZXD,
What are you planting? whats going in and out of your beds? How do you but nutrients back into your soil?
I've got a 4x12 raised bed, that is in partial shade, and get's a supplimental shade cover of the stuff you use to make solar screen ... Home Depot special, bought a roll for the windows, and had some left over.
And 4 container's like this:

When setup with a row of slow release fertilizer, they grow stuff like crazy, and watering is crazy easy.
Got the idea to clone this - EarthBox and glad I did.

As for what's often in the ground,
Corn
Peas
Cantaloupe
Onion
Beet
Tomato
Spinach
Cabbage
Swiss Chard
Broccoli
Carrot
Bell Pepper
Winter Squash
Cucumber
Bush Bean
Squash Zucchini
Pablano Chili
And a variety of herbs
That's pretty much the list.
Most are heirloom varieties, but not all of them produce well in our climate, unless you rotate and shade them accordingly.

I've planted some pumpkin, but the darn things just fry in the summer ... I guess it comes down to finding the right variety, or not growing them for Halloween.

Actually most things are dead right now, except the Zuchini Squash, but it won't be, in a few more weeks ... The exception being the herbs and chili's.
Those things grow like rabbits, and the best I've done so far is keep a few varieties of peppers and chili's growing and producing for 3 years.

BUT,
Now is the time to be planting ... Just about anything will survive our winters.

I want to put a few fruit trees (not citrus) in this winter ... Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a 4x12 raised bed, that is in partial shade, and get's a supplimental shade cover of the stuff you use to make solar screen ... Home Depot special, bought a roll for the windows, and had some left over.
And 4 container's like this:

When setup with a row of slow release fertilizer, they grow stuff like crazy, and watering is crazy easy.
Got the idea to clone this - EarthBox and glad I did.

As for what's often in the ground,
Corn
Peas
Cantaloupe
Onion
Beet
Tomato
Spinach
Cabbage
Swiss Chard
Broccoli
Carrot
Bell Pepper
Winter Squash
Cucumber
Bush Bean
Squash Zucchini
Pablano Chili
And a variety of herbs
That's pretty much the list.
Most are heirloom varieties, but not all of them produce well in our climate, unless you rotate and shade them accordingly.

I've planted some pumpkin, but the darn things just fry in the summer ... I guess it comes down to finding the right variety, or not growing them for Halloween.

Actually most things are dead right now, except the Zuchini Squash, but it won't be, in a few more weeks ... The exception being the herbs and chili's.
Those things grow like rabbits, and the best I've done so far is keep a few varieties of peppers and chili's growing and producing for 3 years.

BUT,
Now is the time to be planting ... Just about anything will survive our winters.

I want to put a few fruit trees (not citrus) in this winter ... Any suggestions ?
Interesting idea with those bins, how long till they dryout and start breaking? Looks like you are just filling one of these http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Or...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 with I imagine you could maybe use some kind of screening like for windows, then burlap then more soil... seems simple enough So you just have to fill it once a week? i'm not quite sure how that'd work.

As far as trees when I move i'm going to look at peach, apple, pear, but also grapefruit, lime, lemon and orange, look at dawrf trees small but if taken care of produce alot of fruit, I'll be asking local nuseries for suggestions, that should be happening next "winter (feburary)" lol like we have a freakin winter...

·
Registered
7,687 Posts

Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek grows fields of pumpkins each year. It should be a simple phone call or them or to Whitfill Nursery to ask about a heat tolerant pumpkin. They have a Pumpkin Festival and sell them. As far as trees, they have a lot of production on Peach and nut trees as well.
Schnepf Farms Queen Creek Arizona, Arizona Family Farms, Arizona Pick-Your-Own Farms, Arizona entertainment farms, Arizona agritourism, Arizona agri-tourism, Arizona festivals, Arizona events, Country Thunder USA, Schnepf Farms Queen Creek Arizona, P

http://www.whitfillnursery.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts