Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
My personal opinion is that you just can't go wrong with benchmade. They're well made, and their unique locking mechanism is easy to use even if your fingers are covered in grease, you're wearing gloves, or you're not looking. I love Benchmade. They're the best folder out there IMO.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cold Steel's recon tanto or their recon scout for the price these knives are work horses and hold a good edge when resharpening go on to cold steels web site & check out their goods :D send for their free dvd on their knives & free full line catalog, you will be impressed

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Only folder? Because for fixed, I think you would be hard-pressed to find one better than my SOG Seal Pup.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id prefer to stick to folder since it would be an everyday carry.
Carrying a fixed would be hard since I wear tight jeans and sneakers. So no real place to conceal.
Also any resources to knife fighting would be appreciated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The CRKT M16s are good for a medium priced knife. Make sure it has the solid aluminum handle. If you want to spend more, Benchmade is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

Here are all my bladed goodies. Take a look at that folder.

It's a CRKT Hammond Cruiser. Absolutely love that knife. I take it with me almost everywhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How about a COMPLETELY homemade with knife and kydex sheath? :D
But if you want a folder, look at the CRKT M16 series. its strong, has a great locking mechanisim, and excellent price. The Sog flash is a great knife as well.

Forged blade with handcrafted MICARTA handles with a handcrafted kydex sheath complete with a Blade Tech TEK-LOCK belt attachment.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=413

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Combat knives are usually a fixed blade. I have a Gerber Infantry LMF for fixed blade and for my daily folder I have either a Kershaw Blackout or my CRKT M16 with the Zytel handle. Both are light, fast to open and hold an edge really well and are strong as hell.

But for a true fighting knife get a fixed blade.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've added a RAT3 survival knife in D2 steel to my short list. Shorter than most, durable and no-nonsense. I like the SOG Seal Team knife too, and that Seal Pul looks pretty sweet.

Folding knives are weaker than a good fixed-blade, no matter how well they're built. if you're dead-set on one, I would recommend something like a classic big lockback from Buck. You know the design - rosewood and brass, with a giant lockback mechanism. Simple and sturdy with decent steel and enough size to handle dressing/cutting game chores, maybe even light chopping.

·
Registered
902 Posts
No love for here the Spyderco Paramilitary or ATR (if you can find an one)?

I have a number of M16's listed on ebay right now, fwiw. I like 'em but like the Spydies more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I usually prefer spyderco or benchmade, but there are several good manufacturers out there. But again like others have said, nothing beats a fixed blade, and you can find several quality fixed blades small enough for everyday carry. But like my teacher says and I say to my students, "my favorite knife is the one I have in my hand at the time". And if you are considering using it for self defense, just like your firearm, train.. train.. train.

Respectfully Submitted,
Chubbybutdangerous

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
+1 for the crkt m-16. I had one that I used in two tours in Iraq, and carried it with me everywhere. I loved that knife! Got stolen or lost at some point though :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
+1 on Benchmade

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Benchmade, Spyderco, Cold Steel, Emerson, Kershaw, Kabar, Buck, and about 50 others all make great knives. You really cant have both an EDC and a combat knife. The blade shapes and geometry are different for those purposes. However, if I had to make a choice in this situation, my top choice would be an emerson persian.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I carry an HK Ally, it's a Benchmade but one of their Red Box equivalents.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As you can tell, there's a lot of personal bias out there.

My advice is to go find a local knife store and try them out.

This is the same advice anyone would give you about choosing a firearm or musical instrument...why should a knife be any different?

For example, the absolute BEST knife I've EVER found that fits my hand, has the weight I wanted, has a double locking system, etc. is the CRKT Kasper/Crawford Tactical Folder (discontinued - I had to find another one on ebay). The downside is that the thing is absolutely MASSIVE...which was a selling point for me. All of the other brands (kershaw included) just seemed to...dainty for me.

But nobody here is going to be able to tell you how a knife is going to fit in YOUR hand, much less which one you'll like best.

Just keep in mind what you're trying to do with the knife (i.e. personal defense vs. skinning vs. camping vs. cutting rope vs. multi-tool vs. status symbol), and go shopping accordingly.

I do strongly recommend before purchasing ANY knife that you have an opportunity to hold it first. Work with it, open it, close it, heft it, hold it...I draw the line at drooling on it though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I want a

(A) good daily knife that will also double as a

(B) reliable knife in a shtf situation.

Im looking at some Kershaw Leeks and a Kershaw ZT 0610.

thanks for input
A & B are almost-but not quite-mutually exclusive.

A could be a Cold Steel Voyager in whatever size meets your local legal requirements, backed up by a small Victorinox.

SHTF, to me at least means the possibility of H2H with one or more assailants. For that duty I'd still take a Kabar -or two-over just about anything out there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts