Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys suggest for a good plinker? I like the look of the Walther P22, but i really don't know much about them. I don't want something that jams consistently.

The Buck Mark Contour 5.5 URX is also one sweat looking mama-jama, but it's a little pricey for a 'toy'.

What do you guys think? I'm really looking for something that will help me improve my aim / consistency with iron sites, and be a lot cheaper to shoot! :p

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
127,268 Posts
I am very fond of my Ruger Mark lll.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ruger and Browning make excellent .22's.

S&W and some others make them too but I think for an autoloader, its hard to beat the 1st 2 I mentioned. I personally own 2 buckmarks. One is a standard and the other is a Pro Target. Both guns shoot very well and have since I owned them.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Ruger

·
Registered
698 Posts
I absolutely love my Walther P22....a very fun gun to shoot. I have never had a single problem with it, even using the cheapo 550 packs from walmart. Thought about buying a Walther PK380 just b/c the P22 is so fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ruger

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(re: price...cry once) ;)
Aahh.. yes... A wise man once said, "Price is often forgotten while quality is always remembered"

I've heard the Rugars can be a pain in the butt to clean and so forth. What can be said of the FTF, FTE ratio with the Buckmarks/Rugars?

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Beretta U22 Neos! Mine has fired everything I've fed it without a single failure, a joy to shoot and easy to clean.

Beretta U22 Neos - .22 by Christopher Nauman, on Flickr
Nothing personal but those are the ugliest guns I ever saw...lol

As far as feeding and firing between Rugers and Brownings... All .22 ammo can have issues. The primer mixture is poured in the case and dries either along the whole bottom or can settle more in one area. If the rim is hit where there is a void of primer mixture, the gun will fail to fire.

Most quality .22's have ejecting and feeding issues due to cleaning issues.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've heard the Rugars can be a pain in the butt to clean and so forth. What can be said of the FTF, FTE ratio with the Buckmarks/Rugars?
I can only talk about Buckmark. It is a bit more than regular pistol to take down but not a problem to me. Re; FTF & FTE...NONE (not once) and we shoot this baby on average 200 rounds per range visit using the cheap Federal bulk ammo.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I have two .22 pistols, a Walther P22 and a Ruger 22/45. I have only shot the RUger once, ever. Its ok. Pretty accurate. I need to settle on an optic or order a Tac Sol upper for it and get a can on it. But the Walther P22 gets shot a lot! Its fun, and great for introducing shooters to firing a pistol. I've never had any problems with mine. There are also a lot of rescources for it (just like the Ruger) on the internets. You wont go wrong with either. I'd say the Walther is more fun, and the Ruger is more accurate.

Here are my two .22 pistolas and my SBR decked out for .22 plinking duty!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have a Ruger Mark II Goverment Target Competition model (stainless 6" bull barrel, custom wood right handed grip). Its fun to shoot, doesn't have to be cleaned every trip to the range (unless you're shooting 500+ rounds in one trip). Its a bitch to disassemble, clean and reassemble, and is picky about what ammo it likes. It hates Remington ammo, and any ammo that has a coating on the bullet (waxy like a lot of .22's have.) CCI and Federal work best.
I've had it for 13 years now, still runs well.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
An elderly friend of the family is looking to sell a Colt Cadet like the one in the pictures below. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts