So if they had followed you to your parking spot

• Stay in car windows up doors locked

• Continue to drive right out of the ramp and pay for not parking

• Call 911

• Get out of the car and attempt to fight

• Branish weapon and attempt to scare them off{misdemeanor}

• Draw and point weapon{Felony assault}

• Should have ignored them in the first place

• I always let everyone cut in front of me no matter how long I have been waiting

• I always race up the closed lane and cut people off

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go.
I was on vacation and almost had to draw my XD.
This maybe little long so I will try to keep it short.
I was driving into a construction zone knowing the left lane was closed ahead as soon as I seen traffic start to back up.I pulled into the right lane.
After about an hour I had finally made it to the bottle neck.
As I got their was a two vehicles that had zoomed buy me in the left lane.
The first made it by in front of the car in front off me and the next with no turn signal just started crowding over so I would let him in.Note being in a {rental or my beater} I was not going to let him in without hitting me :evil: .
My wife and I where in the car windows down and as I get up next to this jeep liberty.I see to adult males and the driver Say's F$#KING [email protected]@HOLE.
I looked over and said are you talking to me???HE Say's you herd me and I replied It's not like I haven't been sitting here for an hour and then traffic started to move.
Of course he gets right in behind me no big deal it was one lane.
Then he stays their as we had just had dinner and where going to ride go karts.About a mile down the road I make a left and then a right into the parking ramp and guess who is right on my butt.
At that time I was wondering what to do?I have sub-compact in the c-tac on my right hip shirt tucked in.
So I believe I have all options and would like to hear what everyone's thoughts are. :) I had made a plan right or wrong and will explain later

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I did not see and option I liked. I probably would have simply continued on as if they were not there. They were probably trying to intimidate you for pissing them off. I would have simply parked and got out of my car and kept a very wary eye for them to try to escalate the situation. Since you had your CCW with you you were in the driver's seat if they wanted to try to escalate it.

mcb

·
Registered
678 Posts
as soon as he says you heard me I would have said whatever and dismissed him, if he continued to carry on and then followed me, I would have gotten outta the vehicle and hit the thumb break (if you had one) and place my hand on my weapon and loosened it from the holster so that I would have been able to quick draw.

At the same time, I woulda assessed his threat, if he wanted to continue to show off his ninja-like control of the english language, I woulda let him carry on and told him to relax, there are bigger problems in the world than changing lanes.

Obviously he was being a tough guy with his pal, so chances are likely he wouldn't have backed down at which time had he gotten within 7 (or so) feet of me and continued to be aggressive, I would have pulled and asked how much further he intended to take this.

However, that is speculation, I have never had that happen, but I do believe that my attempt to diffuse on the freeway and then again in the parking lot (after he has pursued you) was ample opportunity to show the dude you were just out with your wife performing the required activities to ensure that you had her nice and greased for the activities that us married folks like to perform when the sun goes down if-you-know-what-I-mean.

T

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't really considerd that is kind off what happend I parked a couple floors up and didn't see where they pulled off or left.But I had untucked to be prepaired for the worse.
Note if anyone selects the last option :roll: please list you email so I can send you a virus.LOL That really pisses me off :twisted:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TomSwift said:
Why didn't you just let him in? That would have avoided the situation all together. Yes, he should have signaled but it's not like he had no other choice but to merge.
It's really one of my triggers he drove right past a 4X8 sign a half mile back with big arrow and said left lane closed ahead which he totally ignored.
It's the people how don't follow directions and zip by the mile off cars that have been following directions.That slow the whole process

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I'm with TomSwift on this one. I always let aggressive drivers go. It's just basic traffic safety.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please don't take me as an aggressive person.I live in MI. where we have two seasons winter and Road construction.Not much angers me I have a light happy personalty.But I also have spent most of my life sitting in a construction zone. and it pisses me off as soon as I see lane closed. I move to the open lane and if everyone did we all would get threw allot faster :D

·
Registered
678 Posts
oh yeah, I forgot that you had the wife with you, I woulda had her paying me back for dinner :)

With the stereo system in the Durango, I guess I hadn't contemplated letting him in, seemed like the damage was done, I was focusing on the confrontation...

T

·
Registered
38 Posts
Was going to say welcome to Dallas but noticed the MI as your state. :roll:

Call 911 to get the initial jump as the 'victim' in this situation should it deteriorate and the goblins escalate the level to where you were in immediate fear of life and severe bodily injury to you and your wife.

wganz

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
[quote="R/T Performance]It's the people how don't follow directions and zip by the mile off cars that have been following directions.That slow the whole process[/quote]

I really don't agree with that. If it's a legally traversable space, why shouldn't I go past the long line of cars and merge at the cutoff point? If people filled up both sides and merged in a civil manner at the joining point, the traffic wouldn't be backed up nearly as far.

This sort of thing happens to me all the time on my motorcycle. It's like people get angry because I have the ability to move ahead and they don't, so they get flustered and do their best to impede my progress and make the situation as dangerous as possible.

Now, as far as him talking smack, that's really not necessary. I find it amusing when people get angry in traffic, what's the point?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
No way, the people that wait to merge at the last minute are the one that cause the back up. Nothing is better in that situation then when you get a pair of semi that stay side by side so that people can't do that. Traffic moves through the bottle neck much faster, I won't have let the guy in either.

mcb

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mcb said:
No way, the people that wait to merge at the last minute are the one that cause the back up. Nothing is better in that situation then when you get a pair of semi that stay side by side so that people can't do that. Traffic moves through the bottle neck much faster, I won't have let the guy in either.

mcb
100% agreement I use to have a cb just so I could tell the big truck to pull up and I would let him in at the end :D

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Bad situation. But we've all been in similar ones.

It's best to just let someone in. What's another few seconds after you've been sitting in traffic for a long time? Is it aggravating that someone is cutting in? Yes. But is it worth a fight?

We've also probably all been in situations where we inadvertently find ourselves to be the one who appears to be cutting in. Sometimes you are in the wrong lane and no one lets you move over so you end up in the front of the line and look like the villain, when in reality you've been forced/stuck in the wrong lane and end up at the front of the bottleneck looking like the bad guy.

We all hate being cut off. We all hate when it seems like someone is "cheating". But whether it's intentional or not it isn't worth fighting about.

And when you are carrying a gun, you have to be extra "mellow". Someone cuts you off and you brandish a gun......might make you feel better for the moment, but it isn't worth the possible consequences. Far too much downside.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have and frequently do the same as you did in traffic jams. I have had one person follow me in the past. Once I figured out he was definitely following me, I pulled out my cell phone and pulled into a drive thru atm while I talked w/ the local pd. He then pulled thru the atm w/o stopping and I informed dispatcher that this guy was now definitely following me and that he kept reaching over to his pass. seat/glovebox area. (he wasn't really, but I figured it might add a little response time. I then asked where they wanted me to lead them and we agreed on a gas station. When I parked to get out for gas, I noticed the officer already sitting in the corner of the lot and I told this to the dispatcher just as the guy got out and started screaming at me. At this point the officer comes running and as the guy cocks back like he's going to hit me, the cop barrelled him over into the BG's jeep fender. They wrestled a bit and I stood back while the officer subdued and cuffed the guy.

I didn't have to do anything more than fill out a witness report as the whole "assault" was caught on the gas station's video surveilance. This was before ccw was legal in Ohio so obviously, being a law abiding citizen, I didn't have my gun on me at the time, just a knife that if I had to use it as a weapon probably would have gotten me the concealed weapons charge anyway.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the worst or maybe the best was I had a few seconds when I seen them follow me in. I had already consider nearly all these option and what might be the result.
Pretty much had decide if they had persuade me I had already untucked my shirt and was going to exit the vehicle whithout the key windows up and locking the doors with my wife inside.Branish buy placing my hand on the handle and proceed to assault if they jumped out.I would have drawn.
The whole time in the belief that they where the aggressor's and an immediate threat to my wife and I .Seems if you attempt to hit Leo with a car is attempted murder it at least is considered a weapon

·
Registered
370 Posts
Heres what i would have done: called him a f**king asshole and shot out his tires for not using his signal!

Hahaha, just kidding guys!

What I would have really done: Yelled obscenities for not using his signal and probably talk a little trash and go about my business. (Im known for yelling obscenities at random drivers for not signaling) I hate when people dont signal!!!! Then if he followed me I would just continue on while watching him like a hawk in my mirror. If he followed all the way to my parking space I would get out and talk trash. Hey, thats the way i am. if someone provokes me like they want a piece I will most definately get really pissed. Now, most people - the sight of me usually makes em think twice- Im 6'3" 245 and am in pretty good shape. If they approached like they wanted some I would pass the piece to my wife so they wouldnt see and proceed to beat the life out of them. If i thought they would beat me I would warn them I am armed if they apporached. If that wasnt enough I would draw to prove i really was armed. You know the next step if they continue approach. The obvious final step would be calling the police. Sorry guys- i call the police after the confrontation- dont want them to rush me while on the phone and I prefer to handle things myself instead of running to the cops.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts