Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a XD9 service and XD40sc. I love the XD40sc and will never part with it ever. However I noticed that whenever I go out and shoot I never bring the XD9 with me. It basically sits in the safe. Well I really want a glock 19 and I never fired one but my friend has a glock 22 and that felt good in my hands. I have been wanting a glock gen4 for awhile now. I don't currently have money for a new gun. So a friend said he will buy a new glock 19 and do a straight up trade for my XD9. Very tempting but however I wonder if I will regret parting with it. I don't like to get rid of guns but add them. On the other side of it I have a XDsc. Would one take that deal? Im already starting to feel remorseful just thinking about it even though I want the glock! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you shoot the glock better, and would use it more...I'd make the trade. Unless its an heirloom or collectable, a gun is a tool. I would consider an XD and a Glock as a tool. It isn't like you're getting rid of one and not replacing it.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I just wish I could shoot one. No one has one to rent or anything.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know how you feel. I have a Ruger P345 that I have been thinking about selling for like the past year, and saving up a little more cash to buy an XD45 or XDm45. Just havn't had the heart to part with my Ruger (yet).

If you like the feel of the glock, then you will like shooting the G19. Personally I prefer the XD over Glock, but have nothing against owning both. I carry an XD9sc, and my best friend carries a G19, both are excellent and reliable so if your XD is being neglected, trade it for something that will get to see the range more often. Especially if your friend is doing a straight swap with you. You won't have to bother with selling or trading for the depreciated value.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For a monetary look at things, the G19 is a little more expensive, but negligible. If pricing doesn't bother you, it looks to be a pretty fair trade. I would like to make a personal suggestion though if you do this. Let him buy your gun for the price of the G19 and "you" make the gun purchase. The other way could actually be construed as a "Straw" purchase and create problems for you.
Just a thought. Would hate to see anyone get in trouble.

·
Registered
616 Posts
For a monetary look at things, the G19 is a little more expensive, but negligible. If pricing doesn't bother you, it looks to be a pretty fair trade. I would like to make a personal suggestion though if you do this. Let him buy your gun for the price of the G19 and "you" make the gun purchase. The other way could actually be construed as a "Straw" purchase and create problems for you.
Just a thought. Would hate to see anyone get in trouble.
Isn't it only concidered a "straw purchase" when you buy a gun for a felon? I see what you're saying since he will be buying the gun and immediatly handing it over to someone else, but I don't think they could get in any trouble for it unless this guy is a felon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No. A straw purchase can be charged even if the person you are buying for is legitimate. This process by-passes the 4473 paperwork and the NICS background check which is required when purchasing from an FFL.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
IMO you would be getting the best deal. The new Glock will cost more than what your used XD would bring in a trade in. I agree with above, about just paying ya for the XD for what the Glock cost, and then you purchase the Glock.

However, if ya want to do that kind of horse trading as you mentioned, go and see your local gunstore dealer/seller/trader, and for a small fee am sure he would make all the paperwork and transfers legit for both of yall.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All great info and feedback on the legal matters part. We are both CWW holders here. I went to the store to fondle one and I like it. My buddy graduates the police academy next week and since I can't shoot his duty weapon he is buying a glock or two with the next month as back up. I will get to shoot them before I make any decisions. That way I make a more proper choice and I agree on the buying my XD for the glock price or pay the difference if I can to keep things legal.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
No. A straw purchase can be charged even if the person you are buying for is legitimate. This process by-passes the 4473 paperwork and the NICS background check which is required when purchasing from an FFL.

I've always wondered about this. I guess it would tough to prove. What is the difference between a guy who buys a Glock and shoots it for a week and hates it and then legally sells/trades it to a friend and doing the same but premeditated? How would that get to court and how much time and money would a state spend to jail 2 otherwise lawful gun owners?

I suppose to be safe he should give you the money as stated and have you buy it or if he is suing a credit card then buy it and then go to an FFL and have them do another background check and pass it off to you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"What is the difference between a guy who buys a Glock and shoots it for a week and hates it and then legally sells/trades it to a friend and doing the same but premeditated? "

I would agree that this may be a "legal" transactions the way you have stated in a lot of areas, but the unfortunate gray area leaves a lot to interpretation for the BATF. As far as proving something like this, from what I have personally seen and learned, I would rather not have "any" question as to whether transactions were following regulations or not.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Why cant you just trade at the gun store

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
"What is the difference between a guy who buys a Glock and shoots it for a week and hates it and then legally sells/trades it to a friend and doing the same but premeditated? "

I would agree that this may be a "legal" transactions the way you have stated in a lot of areas, but the unfortunate gray area leaves a lot to interpretation for the BATF. As far as proving something like this, from what I have personally seen and learned, I would rather not have "any" question as to whether transactions were following regulations or not.
Agreed, that's why I went on to say:

"I suppose to be safe he should give you the money as stated and have you buy it or if he is using a credit card then buy it and then go to an FFL and have them do another background check and pass it off to you."

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
In most states it seems you have to do the paperwork ANY time you transfer the pistol to someone other than the person who currently legally owns it. The "straw purchase" law is to allow prosecution of people trying to dodge the paperwork and background check. It's not going to matter much who does what and when, as long as there is a paper trail following the pistol.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
A straw purchase is only applicable when you buy a gun for someone who is prohibited from buying a firearm.

Otherwise, if you ever bought a gun for someone as a gift, it would be a straw purchase...and it's not.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
In most states it seems you have to do the paperwork ANY time you transfer the pistol to someone other than the person who currently legally owns it. The "straw purchase" law is to allow prosecution of people trying to dodge the paperwork and background check. It's not going to matter much who does what and when, as long as there is a paper trail following the pistol.
It is a vast minority of states which require paperwork to transfer a gun between private individuals.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I loved my XD9sc. It shot perfectly from day one.Then I bought a PM9. this put the XD9sc on the shelf for most the remaining time I owned it. I had a friend who wanted to buy it off me during the time I was was looking at the CZ's.He ended up with a used XD9sc and I ended up with a new CZ for a little over a $100 when it was all said and done.
I miss the XD9sc from time to time but at the present time I'm lovin this CZ75B. I only allow myself to own 4 pistols and 4 rifles at one time. I find buy doing this it stops me from buying foolishly and buying something on a spur of the moment brain fart.

Love almost every pistol I ever bought, but I'm always looking for the next one to. There are quite a few XD9sc made every year and I'm sure if I ever felt the need to own another one I'll have no trouble finding one. If the trade feels right to you then I'd do it. It keeps life and shooting interesting and new.;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is a vast minority of states which require paperwork to transfer a gun between private individuals.

Apparently we have gone off the topic. The OP said the buyer would not be the owner of the purchased handgun, but the OP would. The law is stated as:

In other instances,neither the straw purchaser nor the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm.
In both instances, the straw purchaser violates Federal law by making false statements on Form 4473 to the licensee with respect to the identity of the actual purchaser of the firearm, as well as the actual purchaser's residence address and date of birth. The actual purchaser who utilized the straw pur- chaser to acquire a firearm has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of the false statements. The licensee selling the firearm under these circumstances also violates Federal law if the licensee is aware of the false statements on the form. It is immaterial that the actual purchaser and the straw purchaser are residents of the State in which the licensee's business premises is located, are not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms, and could have lawfully purchased firearms from the licensee.

As shown in the Federal Firearms Regulations Guide on page 165 under section F-15.
It does go on to say that it would not be considered a "straw purchase" if the purchasing person were purchasing as a gift, which is not the case as the OP wrote this.
I do not know of an honest, ethical FFL that would knowingly allow this. It carries a possible 10 year stay in the Federal Bed and Breakfast.
This will be my last response on this, as we have hi-jacked the OP's thread. I was just trying to help keep a fellow enthusiast from getting into a gray area.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Alot of people say the Glock 19 is THE Glock to own. If it was not for the grip angle, I would own a Glock 19 for sure. I own a G22 and it shoots great, I like it but can't carry it as my muscle memory is way to ingrained in the traditional angles of 1911's, Sig, XD, etc.

Have him buy the G19 and then make the trade since he didnt like it. It's not a straw purchase if he buys it for himself and decides to make a trade with you.

I have an XD .40 tac that shoots great for me, I had an XD 9 sub. that I loved too but traded it off. I also owned an XD 9 but just couldnt find enough love for it. Get what you will shoot if you can't find enough love for something that sits around.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I own both an XD9sc and Glock 19. The XD was my CCW until I did some drill shooting at the local outdoor range. I love my XDsc, it has around 4,500 flawless rounds through it but I was shooting that G19 better than the XDsc from the get go. It's lighter and carries one less round compared to the 16 round mag that I would normally carry with my XDsc. I still carry my XDsc once in a while and shoot it even more as it's a pleasure but for me, the G19 is now my EDC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts