Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days back I posted that my SIL was buying me an XDm 40 for X-Mass. He knew I was looking and told me to give him a spec sheet on the three guns I was looking at. An XDm, Ruger and an H&K. My first choice was the XDm. He told me he could get the XDm at a real bargain because he is a LEO and his dept has a dealer that they buy all their service weapons from. So Saturday night we go and pick up the gun and lo and behold, it was an XD 40. I mentioned this to the dealer and he responded kind of snotty and said "this is the one he ordered, so this is the one you get". I then asked (kindly) what it would take to order the XDm and not but the XD. He (again, very snotty) said he could not order the XDm until the XD was sold because he already had money out of pocket besides the XD is the same gun as the XDm only the XDm has a thumb safety, I did not want to cause a scene and call this A*****E out for fear of getting the SIL in trouble with his Chief. So he paid the money and we left with the XD. The SIL felt bad about getting the wrong gun. Apparently when he went to order the gun, he did not have the spec. sheet with him and he thought he remembered that it was an XD.

So long story short is I want to trade this gun in for the one that I want. What is the policy as far as how much value does the gun lose even though it has never been fired (except the test round from the factory)? And would it be out of order to expect another dealer to take the XD in trade? Or do I just suck it up and enjoy my gift and go shooting? Any input will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Big Mac

SA XD40

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
That's why I never buy my wife a gift for her specialty hobbies, I can never get it right unless she basically orders it for me.

So, shoot the XD and enjoy it, then buy an XDm in a different caliber later.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You may be able to go in and explain it to another dealer and tell him he can have your business if he will do a trade with a tad additional cost.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Well, it's unfortunate you didn't get what you wanted, but you can still do one of a few things here:

1. You could try and find a "reputable" dealer and explain the situation. See if they'd be understanding enough to work a trade with you; after all, yours is still new. However, since it was already sold to you, some dealers will consider it "used", and taking that into account, on top of the fact the XDM is a huge seller with LOTS of people waiting for one, they either may not do it at all, or would do the trade/sale at a severe loss (financially) to you.

2. That said, if you really wanna' work a deal, post your NIB XD-40 on the For Sale listings and see what happens. Obviously bare in mind the s/h cost, as well as the FFL transfer fee the buyer will incur to try and come up with a reasonable price.

3. Lastly, worst case, you're "stuck" with the XD, so just shoot and enjoy. After all, it's still a good gun as-is, and a good prep for getting into an XDM.

Just my .02, TRM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your dealer thinks the XDm has a thumb safety?

That being said, I would say keep the XD and get a trigger job for it. So far the "XDm versus XD" posts I've read seem to indicate that there's not a huge difference in shooting performance between the two. An XD with a trigger job is better than the stock XDm. I do prefer the looks of the XDm, but other than that the differences don't seem that significant

·
Registered
97 Posts
So long story short is I want to trade this gun in for the one that I want. What is the policy as far as how much value does the gun lose even though it has never been fired (except the test round from the factory)? And would it be out of order to expect another dealer to take the XD in trade? Or do I just suck it up and enjoy my gift and go shooting? Any input will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Big Mac
Most reputable dealers would consider that gun a 98% gun. So??? Drop 20 bux off the purchase price to get the book value of the gun then they will give you 70% of book value on trade or sale. So if you plan on selling it to a dealer expect to take close to $100 ding on it.

Your dealer thinks the XDm has a thumb safety?

That being said, I would say keep the XD and get a trigger job for it. So far the "XDm versus XD" posts I've read seem to indicate that there's not a huge difference in shooting performance between the two. An XD with a trigger job is better than the stock XDm. I do prefer the looks of the XDm, but other than that the differences don't seem that significant

The XDM hold allot more ammo in the clip. big + for people who dont like reloading as often @ the range. also the longer barrel is going to give you higher velosity which may not be an issue to some but it is a + in my book.

Mac my advise if your not satisfied with the xd and want the xdm I would list the gun in your local clasified add or take it to a gun show. that will be your best bet if you want to get most of your money back out of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You may be able to go in and explain it to another dealer and tell him he can have your business if he will do a trade with a tad additional cost.
What he said.
That is if you are truly bent owning an XDm.
But, they DO NOT have a thumb safety?

By the way.......That is one-hell-of-a SIL!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
If it was that good of a deal, I would sell it and order the one I want!!! Even if you loose 30 bucks, you'll be happier in the long run!!!

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Just keep it!!

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Sell it or swap it with someone on gunbroker.com who has what you want and pay whatever difference. You could email those on the site who are selling what you want and tell them your situation. You've got nothing to lose by contacting them. You may even get some additional ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its possible that you may like the feel of the adjustable grip on the XDm better. The match grade 4 1/2 inch barrel and trigger along with the higher capacity mag make it a considerably different gun compared to the XD.

I'd get the gun that you want, even if its a bit of trouble and a little extra $.

·
Registered
408 Posts
WTF is a SIL? Son in law?
Keep it, speak its praises when SIL is around. Its a free damn gun. If you want an M that bad go buy it yourself, ya know?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts