Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase my first gun soon. Until a few days ago I was 100% sure I wanted a Ruger KP89 9mm for my first gun. The price is right, heard good reviews about it, Rugers are known to be build like tanks, and it felt good (a little heavy) when I held it. Well someone mentioned a XD40 on the Ruger site and I started researching the XD9. Upon looking at the XD I figure it would be basically a Glock. I'm not a Glock fan by any means, I think they are good guns but everyone has one and they're pricey. While I found the XD to be reasonable priced, good features and I like the grip angle of the XD over the Glock.

Now my question is what other guns were you guys considering purchasing before you brought the Springfield? I still like the Ruger but the XD is very nice and I dont have enough to get both. :D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Depends: are you looking for a full sized handgun, or a compact? I'm just gonna guess that you want a 9mm, since that's what you were looking at buying :wink: (basically, just ruling out most 1911's)

Maybe take a look at Taurus' offerings? The 24/7, or the Millenium Pro, if you're looking for something smaller. Kahr is good, but very expensive. Smith & Wesson is there...but many aren't fond of their SA guns. Maybe look at CZ guns (VERY good reviews), Browning Hi-Powers, gah...there was another one I was thinking of...oh yeah. Sig...but those are kinda pricey.

Just some ideas...for me, since I was going compact, it was between the G27, the XD40, the Kahr PM40, and the Taurus Millenium Pro. The XD won.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info.

Dont get me wrong I do like the Sigs but they are pricey, like you said JD, I dont think I can get anything over $450 pass the wife. :p

I'm going to go to another shop that carries both the Springfields and the Ruger and compare them side by side. Theres a place that rents guns too but its far and has wierd hours.

·
Registered
409 Posts
when I already had my service, and looking for a cheaper carry, my dealer actually talked me out of the tarus millenium pro, saying he has had to send back alot more than he would like to say because of problems. Price wise, and I already had one, I got the sub compact.

when I bought my service, I just picked up one on the counter, dry fired once, and said I'll take one in 40 s&w please.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention, or I forgot if I forgot, to mention that this will be purely a range/backup HD gun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was looking for a compact pistol and had narrowed my choises to a Glock 26 and a Springfield XD SC 9 mm. Went into Buds Gun Shop in Paris KY and had the guy get 1 of each out for me. Held both. Dry fired both. Liked the XD better because it pointed more naturally and had a more defined take up, break and reset in the trigger. After I decided I liked the XD best I found out it was about $50 less money.

After I got a chance to shoot a few rounds through the XD I liked it so well I sold my Ruger P95, which is a very good pistol, and replaced it with an XD Tactical 9mm. And by the way both the Tactical and the Sub Compact are two toned with the green frame.

Mike

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mikeb said:
I was looking for a compact pistol and had narrowed my choises to a Glock 26 and a Springfield XD SC 9 mm. Went into Buds Gun Shop in Paris KY and had the guy get 1 of each out for me. Held both. Dry fired both. Liked the XD better because it pointed more naturally and had a more defined take up, break and reset in the trigger. After I decided I liked the XD best I found out it was about $50 less money.

After I got a chance to shoot a few rounds through the XD I liked it so well I sold my Ruger P95, which is a very good pistol, and replaced it with an XD Tactical 9mm. And by the way both the Tactical and the Sub Compact are two toned with the green frame.

Mike
WOW! You had a P95? I take it you dont regret switching the Ruger for the XD?

·
Registered
42 Posts
[

WOW! You had a P95? I take it you dont regret switching the Ruger for the XD?[/quote]

No regrets on giving up the P95 for the XD Tactical 9. My wife said I had to sell one before I could bring another one home. Some people just can't seem to get into their heads that you can never have too many guns and knives.

Mike

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
At first I was set on a Para Tac 4 in olive drab. But after a bit of researching I opened my eyes more to include the XD's, PX-4, FNP-40,USP 40 compact. After considering price and availability I went with the XD, it had just came on special w/3 mags and belt holster. Well, 5 months later and 900 rounds later, with only 1 stovepipe on a UMC 180gr fmj, I've got few if any complaints. I picked up one of Don's creations and a 22# spring, and an EFK 9mm conv. bbl, which I'm hoping to get some lead through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts