Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the story... Before I put an XD on layaway I went down to the local indoor range and rented an XD and an XDm. I was already pretty set on the XD as I didn't feel the XDm offered enough to justify the extra $150 the local store was asking for (just my opinion) but I wanted to give the XDm a go. I put a box of 50 through the XD with no problems. Loaded up the XDm next. Fired one shot, then my second shot, went to fire my third and....nothing. Cleared the mag and the bullet in the chamber. Put the magazine back in, pulled back on the slide and I was able to get another two shots off before the same thing happened. I assume this has something to do with just being a really abused rental gun but just out of curiosity more then anything I'm wondering if someone could figure out what went wrong.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I'm assuming you had a failure to fire? Could be 2 things: Bad ammo, or gunk in the firing pin channel slowing the pin causing weak strikes. Range guns rarely get cleaned so do the math.

·
Premium Member
127,175 Posts
In my personal experience range guns are very poorly maintained. What you described it not at all characteristic for the XDm.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Did you ask for another rental? I would want to try an XDm that was functioning properly if I was going to make a decision on which to purchase. I shot a new XDMc last month and it was just as smooth and flawless as my XDsc and it was running WPA(wolf) brand ammo.

PS: 500 rounds of that dirty stuff went off without a hitch. Dont think it's the M line but the one you had your hands on that was the problem.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Sounds like the range minimum wage drone that cleans the weapons also added a lot of oil to the striker. Oil + residue = gummed up striker channel and weak strikes.

Either use a lube that leaves no residue (like 100% silicone spray) or run it dry. Dry is better than oiled for reliable operation. WAY better. That's not a a flaw in the Xd line, it's general for striker fired weapons.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you ask for another rental? I would want to try an XDm that was functioning properly if I was going to make a decision on which to purchase. I shot a new XDMc last month and it was just as smooth and flawless as my XDsc and it was running WPA(wolf) brand ammo.

PS: 500 rounds of that dirty stuff went off without a hitch. Dont think it's the M line but the one you had your hands on that was the problem.
I did, but the guy told me it was the only one they had besides the 9mm which I really wasn't interested in firing because I knew I wanted a 45 or a 40. I assumed it was that gun and not the line because I had heard nothing but how reliable the XD and XDm are, you should have saw my face when it didn't fire not once but twice. Shocked the hell out of me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sounds like the range minimum wage drone that cleans the weapons also added a lot of oil to the striker. Oil + residue = gummed up striker channel and weak strikes.
This was the problem. Don't worry, it's not a problem with the XDm. Sorry you were not able to shoot it much though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didn't think the XDm was worth the extra money, until I bought one, now I wish my other gun, an XD, was an XDm too !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe i'd feel the same if I had actually got to shoot one, lol. I think i'm going to get a Subcompact sometime next year so if I like my XD enough I may make that an XDm.

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
I would think being a range rental it wouldn't of had the attention us proud gun owners have for our guns. Don't let this experience turn you off from the XD line of handguns.

Personally I would love to shoot a XDm. Hopefully will get a chance this summer.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Not only are rental guns poorly maintained, but the range ammo is generally cheap and poorly reloaded, reloaded ammo.
But I sold all 4 of my XD pistois, just didn't work out for me..;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts