Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided my first priority was a couple of AR's for a SHTF scenario, and for these I wanted simple, so no quad rail, etc... I did add an EOTech to one but I did not get fancy. One is a mid-length carbine and one will be an M4gery in a few weeks. I have now fully completed one of these AR's and the 2nd one will be done in 3 weeks when I get paid out for some more overtime.

That means that as someone seriously stricken with EBRD, I am now thinking about my next build. I have been competing on and off in IDPA for many years and love it. I have heard about these 3 gun matches and they sound fun. I think I'd like to build my next AR with these type matches in mind.

Since I've never shot a 3 gun match, I really don't know what is needed. I have heard that some shots can be very up close and personal and some can be quite a distance. Since I now have one with a carbine length sight radius, and one with a middy sight radius, I was thinking about an 18" with a rifle length sight radius. Maybe a stainless barrel free floated for better accuracy. I would add an EOTech mounted a bit forward with a magnifier behind it that I can flip out of the way for close up shots.

Does this sound like a good setup for 3 gun? If not, what would you recommend.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I'd go standard flat top AR, with front and rear flip up BUIS, and either an aimpoint or eotech with flip out magnifier behind. I'd also have some form of rail on the handguard for a VFG. I don't think free float is necessary unless going over 300 yards. I know the matches I've watched max out at 100.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.