Springfield XD Forum banner

what tools to get

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  HB of CJ 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for where/what to get for tools (so I don't dork up my lower/upper)? Got my lower this last weekend, and just ordered an upper. Next up is an LPK install followed by buffer tube I think.

Any suggestions for a good LPK? I have an Aero Precision stripped upper/lower, and I plan to use an enlarged trigger guard, different trigger, and of course grip. I was thinking about a JP LPK, but they still have trigger guard and grip I think.

Any suggestions for where to get the upper parts?

#2 ·
I'd suggest a vice if you don't have one and then a lower and upper block. An armorers wrench and a punch set should get you most of the way, a torque wrench if you plan on doing it all yourself. I used a Palmetto State LPK, there's nothing "high end" about it but it's just a LPK.

#3 ·
just a plain ol' punch set down at the hardware store, or is there any special "kit" that comes with what you need for ARs? I haven't decided if I'll try the barrel myself (I assume that is what the torque wrench is for), but that is a ways off.

I don't have a vice, but I know someone who does.

#6 ·
Eh torque wrench isn't all that needed. Get it right and allign the gas tube. As for punches, a long and short variety is good. A long one will safe you some hassle on the bolt release.

#5 ·
Technically there is all kinds, but realistically you can skip a few. Upper vice block, punches, hammer, and an armorers wrench will cover most needs. Lower vice blocks are optional (I've never needed one) as are the handguard tools. Technically you don't need a buffer nut wrench (I've used wrenches and a towel) however those do come on a typical armorers wrench which is handy for barrel nuts. Also an Allen key set for the grip screw.

#7 ·
Probably a two stage eventually, like Geissele, though I may just put an ALG QMS or ACT on it for now. I picked up two upper/lower sets. One for me, and one for my son when he gets older, so any extra parts can go towards his. This is going to be an 18 inch precision type rifle, and light weight.

#9 ·
All you need is a .223 but that would be an internet tactical moron answer.

I recommend the Wheeler Delta Series kit. It's great. It comes with a vise and all of the tools you need to throw a build together in no time. It's around $150-200 but it's all you'll need besides some roll punches (I recommend brownells.)

#11 ·
Take a look at the Magpul BEV block. It supports the upper and lower in a vise just by flipping it over and I'm sure its typical Magpul Quality. Santa is bringing me one for Xmas along with an AR armorer's wrench. I'm sure Magpul's wrench is nice but for $80 I don't need it, I'm not an armorer.

#13 ·
I think my armorers wrench is a delta series. Paid like 12 bucks on sale.

#15 ·
Armorers wrench, a nice set of roll pin punches and a non marring hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
get all of this stuff except the LPK from ebay. blocks for upper/lower, ar wrench, dial torque wrench, roll pin starter setI got it all for under $100 easy. brownells , midway, and everyone else are a little over priced on these items. bullets midway yes, reloading tools come from reputable sellers on eBay. there are several.

#24 ·
alg lpk for about $100 its enough of an upgrade to be nice.

You need upper reciever vice block. this is much easier to use than the more expensive ones (doesn't fit billet uppers) Amazon.com Ade Advanced Optics Workbenth Table Upper Block for Gunsmith and Armorer to Quickly Assemble Disassemble Repair Their Weapon Combo Sports Outdoors

I like my DPMS wrench but any will do the job. again amazon.

Punch set is cheaper at home depot/lowes/ace/menards shoud be under 10"

I like a needle nose plier (I use a needle nose multi tool) to hold the roll pin to get it started. A piece of tape to protect the finish when putting in the bolt catch.

A vice.

I use my DPMS wrench as a hammer.

Thats all I use.

#26 ·
Make sure you get a roll pin punch set and not a punch set.... a regular punch set can damage roll pins...
Also, depending on how good you are with using a punch, you might want to get a roll pin punch starter for the bolt catch roll pin.

Other tools that you might find useful:
  • Pivot pin installation detent tool
  • masking tape (to protect receiver finish when installing the bolt catch roll pin
  • 4oz. ball peen hammer
  • vice block

#27 · (Edited)
Tools; This list is for the advanced builder. Nice strong work bench. Bright overhead lights, a suitable stool to sit on. A nice expensive 5" smooth jaw bench vise bolted to the bench. A rubber mat or pad. Medium ball peen hammer. A set of roll pin punches. Several spare dinky size punches ... they bend. Set pin punches.

Nicer aluminum barrel vise jaws. A piece of indoor outdoor carpet to pad the barrel. A click torque wrench. Barrel wrench. A combo AR wrench tool. Small 2.5" C-clamp home made ejector tool. Some 600 grit stones. 400 grit will work. One small medical locking forceps. Large plastic sack flying pin containment sack. ...

Three head space gages. Go, No Go and Field. We used seven, you only need 3. Blue Loctite. A thin kitchen steak knife blade. Small bottle instant blue. Small bottle aluminum black. Small bottle acetone. Que tips. Couple shop rags. Small bottle LSA. Cleaning kit. A warm work room. Some suitable back ground music.

I think that is it. Watch out for that pesky trigger guard roll pin installation if you are using it. It needs to be pressed in using the bench vise. Otherwise you run the risk of breaking the lower receiver. Torquing up the barrel is the most time consuming, but fun part of the build. EXACTLY 40-42 pounds. Gas tube alignment also.

PEM me if you need to. Remember; the barrel gets locked down. The upper receiver floats. Many reasons for this. Hope this helps kinda. HB of CJ (Old coot) hundreds of builds.

Edited by HB; forgot stuff
Edited by HB again; forgot more stuff like a good pair of locking snap ring pliers with different tips and a gun smith type screwdriver set including Phillips and Allen head tips, a suitable hot beverage for this cold time of year and a big smile because all of this is much fun! :)
Edited yet again by HB; forgot the small 2" C clamp for rear site builds, 1 sheet 400 grit sandpaper for upper receiver front end dressing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.