Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for where/what to get for tools (so I don't dork up my lower/upper)? Got my lower this last weekend, and just ordered an upper. Next up is an LPK install followed by buffer tube I think.

Any suggestions for a good LPK? I have an Aero Precision stripped upper/lower, and I plan to use an enlarged trigger guard, different trigger, and of course grip. I was thinking about a JP LPK, but they still have trigger guard and grip I think.

Any suggestions for where to get the upper parts?

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I'd suggest a vice if you don't have one and then a lower and upper block. An armorers wrench and a punch set should get you most of the way, a torque wrench if you plan on doing it all yourself. I used a Palmetto State LPK, there's nothing "high end" about it but it's just a LPK.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just a plain ol' punch set down at the hardware store, or is there any special "kit" that comes with what you need for ARs? I haven't decided if I'll try the barrel myself (I assume that is what the torque wrench is for), but that is a ways off.

I don't have a vice, but I know someone who does.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
What trigger are you looking at? I was able to get a deal from Primary Arms on a Geisele SSA-E that included a LPK for "free".

Check out my build thread. I now have the buffer, tube and buttstock as well as the barrel.

My AR-15 Thread XDTalk Forums

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Technically there is all kinds, but realistically you can skip a few. Upper vice block, punches, hammer, and an armorers wrench will cover most needs. Lower vice blocks are optional (I've never needed one) as are the handguard tools. Technically you don't need a buffer nut wrench (I've used wrenches and a towel) however those do come on a typical armorers wrench which is handy for barrel nuts. Also an Allen key set for the grip screw.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
just a plain ol' punch set down at the hardware store, or is there any special "kit" that comes with what you need for ARs? I haven't decided if I'll try the barrel myself (I assume that is what the torque wrench is for), but that is a ways off.

I don't have a vice, but I know someone who does.
Eh torque wrench isn't all that needed. Get it right and allign the gas tube. As for punches, a long and short variety is good. A long one will safe you some hassle on the bolt release.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably a two stage eventually, like Geissele, though I may just put an ALG QMS or ACT on it for now. I picked up two upper/lower sets. One for me, and one for my son when he gets older, so any extra parts can go towards his. This is going to be an 18 inch precision type rifle, and light weight.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
In that case, you might just look at a full LPK including fire control group.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
All you need is a .223 but that would be an internet tactical moron answer.

I recommend the Wheeler Delta Series kit. It's great. It comes with a vise and all of the tools you need to throw a build together in no time. It's around $150-200 but it's all you'll need besides some roll punches (I recommend brownells.)

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Take a look at the Magpul BEV block. It supports the upper and lower in a vise just by flipping it over and I'm sure its typical Magpul Quality. Santa is bringing me one for Xmas along with an AR armorer's wrench. I'm sure Magpul's wrench is nice but for $80 I don't need it, I'm not an armorer.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I think my armorers wrench is a delta series. Paid like 12 bucks on sale.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Armorers wrench, a nice set of roll pin punches and a non marring hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Armorers wrench, a nice set of roll pin punches and a non marring hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Don't think I need armorers wrench yet until I start getting into the upper, is that true? I'll also need to get a vise and a vise block. Looks like some cheap ones for $5-10 on amazon.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thanks. Don't think I need armorers wrench yet until I start getting into the upper, is that true? I'll also need to get a vise and a vise block. Looks like some cheap ones for $5-10 on amazon.
Technically you also need the armorers wrench for buffer tube castle nut. Although pliers work

·
Registered
47 Posts
On punches, ideally you'd get regular punches, roll pin punches and roll pin starter punches. You don't really need many sizes for the latter two, and places like Brownell's sells small kits with the few punches needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts