Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to set my 6.8 up as a deer rifle with a decent scope and riser, but my money is being called in another direction.

My 270 Win that replaced a poor performing and potentially dangerous Remmy 700 trigger with a newer and freshly recalled X-mark trigger :rolleyes: I picked this trigger up as a "take-out", so I'm 95% sure Remington wont do squat for me. The plan was a Timney; but once again, my dollars are being pulled elsewhere.

My Keltec SU16a with a 2-7x scope. I've taken a deer with this in the past, but I was much less than thrilled with the "premium hunting ammo" I used to do it with. I've got some other ammo that should work better, if the 1:9 will stabilize it (haven't tried it yet) or my next fall-back idea was M855. It should tumble better than from an M4, and my gun really likes it for accuracy.

I'm leaning towards risking the faulty safety for my primary hunting rifle.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Lucky you... Here in Ohio they legislated us out of all those options. We only get shotguns or straight-walled cartridges <.357

On to your problems :) sounds like you have a few "possibles" but none really good. Why not sell the ones you wouldn't use (You mentioned about 4) in order to buy one that would be perfect? That way you wouldn't be using any real money, it would just be a transfer.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I was planning to set my 6.8 up as a deer rifle with a decent scope and riser, but my money is being called in another direction.

My 270 Win that replaced a poor performing and potentially dangerous Remmy 700 trigger with a newer and freshly recalled X-mark trigger :rolleyes: I picked this trigger up as a "take-out", so I'm 95% sure Remington wont do squat for me. The plan was a Timney; but once again, my dollars are being pulled elsewhere.

My Keltec SU16a with a 2-7x scope. I've taken a deer with this in the past, but I was much less than thrilled with the "premium hunting ammo" I used to do it with. I've got some other ammo that should work better, if the 1:9 will stabilize it (haven't tried it yet) or my next fall-back idea was M855. It should tumble better than from an M4, and my gun really likes it for accuracy.

I'm leaning towards risking the faulty safety for my primary hunting rifle.
Confused on the 270 Win....did you replaced your Remington 700 with a 270 Win or was the 270 Win a Remington 700? IMO and experience, I have not been able to find a better Whitetail rifle than a Winchester Model 70 .270.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 270 is a Remington Sportster 78. It is basically a 700, but below the level of an ADL. This gun had the old-school 700 trigger that may or may not be dangerous, but a non-adjustable version of it. I picked up an adjustable X-mark that someone took out to upgrade their new 700 a few years back. The new trigger has since been recalled.

Another option I didn't mention; Hi-point 995 with a scope. I was thinking about taking a deer with this one at some point, just to make sure it will do the job before sending one of the kids out into the woods with it.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I used a 6.8 year before last and anchored a nice bodied 4 point where it stood. Granted that I was only about 30 yards away when I pulled the trigger, I was a little surprised that the bullet past through to the far side, where I removed a handful of fragments that failed to exit just under the skin.

But in all fairness, dead is dead.

Just FWIW, you may or may not be aware that 6.8 projectiles use .270 bullets seated in the 30 caliber parent case, but the 270 ballistics are still better than 6.8, though 270 won't fit in the AR magwell due to case length, and thus the reason why the 270 outperforms the 68

This year I'm going to hunt with a 357 mag single shot NEF from a stand, and probably a Fal where I can stretch out more.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I research guns very well before I buy usually. I know all about the 6.8. What this one is lacking is a "proper" hunting set-up. The ideas and intentions are all good, but the pocket-book isn't willing.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I'd do just as you mentioned above and go with the .270 even with the pre-recalled part. That's a nice whitetail setup.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Does the 6.8 not have iron sights? inside 200 yards it should be childs play to hit vitals on a fullsize whitetail. How far do you plan on shooting?

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It does, but glare off the front sights combined with freezing my ass off induced impatience caused me to miss last year. I'm not sure I trust myself without a scope anymore, especially with my eyesight degrading over the last couple of years.

The old trigger sort of fell apart after removal. I'm not sure I have all the parts.

eta: I'll stick with the 270 as-is. I tested the safety before knowing that some were put together with too much goop inside, and tested it again after learning there might be a problem.

etaa: I have taken deer from 10 yards to out past 350 yards in the past.

·
Registered
176 Posts
.270 all the way. It's a hall of fame type cartridge. I have a Model 70 passed down from my dad that has never failed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lucky you... Here in Ohio they legislated us out of all those options. We only get shotguns or straight-walled cartridges <.357

On to your problems :) sounds like you have a few "possibles" but none really good. Why not sell the ones you wouldn't use (You mentioned about 4) in order to buy one that would be perfect? That way you wouldn't be using any real money, it would just be a transfer.

Just an idea.
Unless you get crop damage permits......

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Hard to beat the 270 Winny.

My go to deer gun is an old M700BDl in 270Win....does the trick every time.

Have taken white tail, many pigs and one aoudad sheep with the rifle.

Take the 270...those deer are much bigger than ours.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
.223 Rem is dandy on Whitetail up here in the north. shot placement is king here though, so the bigger calibers with the faster bullets make up for a lot of low skill kills that are pretty gruesome. the 30-30 has taken a lot more deer though. good brush gun too, just pounds through sticks and whatnot.

a good heavy softpoint or solid copper TSX will do just fine, as will most of your human killer loadings. BONDED is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've taken two deer pretty good sized with 30-06 in the neck. One deer with a .243 in neck also. This year I want to use my .223 and/or shotgun Debating on 64gr Winchester sp or fusion msr.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got my daughter a Savage 270 as an early Christmas present this year and she loves it. Entry level of course but it is a great whitetail round which I have used successfully in the U.P. and Northern Lower Mi.

As for myself, I've become partial to hunting deer with a revolver. The last ten years or so I've been using a Ruger .454 which works well but for this year I got a S&W .460.

300Gr bullets at more than 2000 fps and accurate with a scope to 250 yrds. I limit my shots to about 100 yrds because I don't care for scopes on a hand gun. damage in the boiler room appears much like 30-06 damage.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've taken two deer pretty good sized with 30-06 in the neck. One deer with a .243 in neck also. This year I want to use my .223 and/or shotgun Debating on 64gr Winchester sp or fusion msr.
not a fan of the neck shot anymore. I had a more than slightly grisly hunting experience thanks to a neck shot.
The buck got its neck busted with a neck shot, but that did not drop it by any stretch. It stumbled around some very dense brush with its head flopping, and making the most horrible noises because its windpipe was getting pinched off because of the head flopping.

Did you get to try the .223? I tried some 223 Fusion. It was absolute crap. I am pretty sure the MSR 62 gr is the same garbage

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Used this Winchester bonded hollow point this year. Really wanted to use one of my AR15's. Took one doe antelope in Wyoming and a white tail doe and 6 point buck in Wisconsin.

Antelope = 97 yards one shot drop - heart.
White tail doe = 62 yards one shot drop - both lungs.
White tail buck = 140 yards two rounds.
First though top of heart
ran 50 yards. Finished him
through the head at 15
yards. He was just
standing there. Head shot.

Ammunition worked well.

Winchester Power Max Bonded Ammo .223 Rem 64gr PHP : POWER-MAX BONDED RIFLE AMMUNITION | Brownells

·
Registered
207 Posts
not a fan of the neck shot anymore. I had a more than slightly grisly hunting experience thanks to a neck shot.
The buck got its neck busted with a neck shot, but that did not drop it by any stretch. It stumbled around some very dense brush with its head flopping, and making the most horrible noises because its windpipe was getting pinched off because of the head flopping.

Did you get to try the .223? I tried some 223 Fusion. It was absolute crap. I am pretty sure the MSR 62 gr is the same garbage
I ended up not using the .223 I did load up some 65 gr seirra game king. I i do use .223 for deer that is what I'll use. This year I used a .270 win. Shot a nice sized buck at about 130 yards through the vitals. Ran about 20 yards and flopped. I really like that caliber.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts