Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a couple.
Glock 19
Canik TP9
FN 509 C Tactical
S&W MP 9 2.0

All are available for good price to me locally. Main purpose is range and bedside/truck gun, with occasional carry.

Currently have an XD subcompact and love that and easy to carry. Want something different.

509 seems best out of the box, also most expensive.
Everyone seems to love the G19. And upgrades aplenty, which I always like.

What do you think? I have held them all, they all fit my hand just fine, I’m not too picky. And have only shot the G19 but a gen 3, not the gen 5 I am looking at.

Ready set go!

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
the simplicity of a revolver has had me wanting one for a ready gun.
a Ruger GP100 maybe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an S&W MP 9 2.0. Love that gun.
My buddy has a S&W M&P 2.0 from their Performance Center. Honestly, it was the first polymer gun I ever fired and led directly to me picking up my XD-M Elite shortly thereafter. The S&W is a fine pistol, I just wanted something a little different.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I didn't care for Glock until I held a Gen 5 in my hand. The lack of finger grooves while allowing backstrap changes suddenly made it make sense to me. A 19 Gen 5 with RMR slide cut is now my winter carry / SHTF gun and I don't see that changing anytime soon. But you certainly have a list of fine choices. The FN intrigues me...wouldn't mind having one of those.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
509 (FNS, too) has a really different trigger feel/pull vs. the others. More of a true double action pull/feel because when you pull the trigger it doesn't just pivot the sear - it pushes the sear to the rear (which also further cocks the striker) before it gets fully to the rear and finally pivots the sear to release the striker.

edited to add - forgot about the breaking striker issues. Saw another thread on the FN forum yesterday about a guy that just had the striker in his 509 break. Apex does make a forged striker for the 509 and FNS pistols. Supposed to cure that issue.

But, if it's like the FNS it has a lot of cool features (in my opinion) that make it stand out from many other pistols. Shooting good groups isn't one of them, but it's a sweet pistol once you accept the groups and learn that funny trigger pull. One trick it so hold it at reset so the sear/striker are already way to the rear. Then you won't notice the long travel and really not even the weight of the pull so much.

The Glock? I don't know, I never found one that would shoot good groups.

The M&P? Two of my five shoot nice groups. The little PC Shield 9MM (out shoots three of my my full sized M&Ps) and the 2.0 .45 acp Compact partially restored my faith in M&Ps. Want a really sweet trigger? Grab the Apex trigger kit for the 2.0 and install it. Rivals (or exceeds) many hammer fired guns.

No experience at all with the Canik.

I do hear lots of great things about the CZ P10 thought. Three sizes, full, compact and sub compact.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I have not had a G-19 as it did not fit, but have not tried the Gen 5. I did buy a XDM Elite 3.8 recently 20 round mags bought four 22 round mags too, grip is long but feels great, rear sight is the new 'U' that is the rage and I have to say I like it, trigger is good, has a memory pad/bump on grip safety. Good gun have not yet shot it as we then went on county lockdown, now statewide.
I have not fondled a Canik, but I own a non-tactical compact FN 509 and like it but their mags are real expensive.
I own and carry a S&W M&P40C 3.6 and have a 4.0 version too, both are 2.0. The 3.6 is easier for me to carry appendix and I prefer to carry 40, I have a 357 Sig 3.6 barrel too. I can carry 13+1 or 15+1
I am considering a new G-22 Gen 5 and will have to try a Gen 5 Compact then maybe it would be a G-23
I do have XD40 SC Mod 2 and 45 too Great handling and shooting. The 40 is 9+1 or 12+1 the M&P beats that handily.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
My buddy has a S&W M&P 2.0 from their Performance Center. Honestly, it was the first polymer gun I ever fired and led directly to me picking up my XD-M Elite shortly thereafter. The S&W is a fine pistol, I just wanted something a little different.
I handled the performance center version in a 5" barrel. It wasn't bad, but the M&P 2.0 4.25" barrel (no thumb safety) just felt right in my hand. It racked easier and the trigger was a lot crisper.

I was interested in handling the XDM 5.25" barrel at the time, but the store had none. No XDM of any kind to compare with. But that's okay 'cuz a really really like what I bought, and it was on sale too (not really a consideration but it was a bonus).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was 90% set on a Canik TP9 until they brought out the XD-M 10mm that I ended up buying. The Canik was nice but it felt cheap compared to the xdm. The tolerances on the one I was holding were very wide, they might not all be like that.

Since walking out of the store I haven't even wondered if I should have gotten the canik. The xdm still feels more solid today after about 1300 rounds than the canik felt brand new.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I didn't care for Glock until I held a Gen 5 in my hand. The lack of finger grooves while allowing backstrap changes suddenly made it make sense to me. A 19 Gen 5 with RMR slide cut is now my winter carry / SHTF gun and I don't see that changing anytime soon. But you certainly have a list of fine choices. The FN intrigues me...wouldn't mind having one of those.
I have some Gen 3 and Gen 5 Glock 19s. The 5 is a MUCH bigger upgrade than I would have ever guessed. I've modified the 3's: flat/straight trigger, etc. But I haven't made any upgrades to the 5's--they're great right out of the box. They came with night sights, and the trigger is a big improvement over previous generations, so there's not much to change. Probably sending one of them out to get milled for an RMR.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After looking closer at the Canik, I think I am going to pass. It didn’t feel as tight as the others. Too sloppy especially compared to the FN and Glock.

Right now leaning on the Glock, that near guarantee that it will always do what I ask of it. Much like my XD.

Also looked at the XDM 10mm. Really liked that, but not sure I need it for home, no bears here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Docster, I’ll cast my vote for the Gen 5 Glock 19. Other than their reliability and ease of acquiring parts, I was never much of a Glock fan after having a few Gen 3’s and 4’s, even after modifying them.

Then came the Gen 5’s and now I’m hooked, owning both a 26 and 45 (both of which came with Ameriglo Bold night sights from the factory), a newer 19 with front serrations (not the MOS model), and a 43X for my wife.

As for the others, I’ve never owned the Canik, but a friend has one and really enjoys shooting it as a range toy. Had several M&P’s and love their ergos but I’m not a fan of the hinged trigger design, which is an identical gripe with the FN after owning the FNS-9. Surprisingly enough, though the M&P and FN had better ergos to me than the earlier generation Glocks, I shot less accurately with them than the proverbial Austrian “2x4”.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts