Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do with your ccw if you are involved in an accident or major medical situation? No one is with you, but you are able to communicate.

Sorry I had a medical emergency earlier in the week and it got me thinking. Luckily it didn't involve an ambulance and I had a friend with me. She was able to transport my weapon to my best friends house. He cleared the weapon and stored it until I got out. If she hadn't been there I'm not sure what I would have done.

Warning grammar police! Sent from Samsung Android using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My buddy was in a fairly serious accident a few weeks ago. He was ejected from his Jeep and it came to rest on his leg. If he lost consciousness it was brief. At first, the arriving officers asked if he was in LE because they noticed his (now scratched) Glock. They were cool and gave the gun to his sister at the hospital.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
If you legally have your weapon it's no big deal. They will give it back to you or someone else at the hospital.

yep.

To the OP. What were you trying to hide? If you are legaly carrying you have no need to have a friend break a few laws. If she did not have her own permit to carry then she could have gotten in trouble. In some states a pistol MUST be yours to carry or transport, no borrowing. Why risk your friends IF you were legaly carrying? A responding officer saw my permit when I got my state ID out. Asked if a pistol was on me and never said another word after I said yes.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Thankful I live in a "friendly" state. If the gun makes it all the way back to the hospital (at least the one where I work) it will be locked up on the on site safe or given to a relative.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
To be perfectly blunt, if you're the victim, you've got other things to worry about.

If you're legally carrying, it's a non-issue. Usually there's law enforcement also called who will handle the firearm. If you're able to think about it, when EMS arrives you may want to inform them, just so they know.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'd keep it on my person, and let the EMT know if he's going to be in that vicinity.

I've told a doctor about it before when I had to drop my pants. I just said something like, "don't be alarmed, I'm licensed and I'm carrying."

Same as when I'm having pants tailored.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hiding nothing. I was in her truck as she drove me to the ER. In Kentucky it is legal for non ccw permit holders to have a pistol in their glove box. We had been out getting her horse trailer repaired and I just took off my 1911 and placed it in the glove box. Why take it into the er if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I was hiding nothing. I was in her truck as she drove me to the ER. In Kentucky it is legal for non ccw permit holders to have a pistol in their glove box. We had been out getting her horse trailer repaired and I just took off my 1911 and placed it in the glove box. Why take it into the er if I didn't have to.

Why leave it behind if you don't have to?

I guess we're coming from a different perspective.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why take it in when I knew I would be staying for a while. From what happened I already knew it would involve an mri so no metal objects. Weapon would have been out of my control, so I felt it was best to not even take it in. It was going with and to people I fully trust. I ended up spending the night and didn't have to worry about it.

What would be the difference if I had her take possession in the ER? If I had to call someone later to come pick it up? Or as a last resort have the local leos secure it. The hospital is going to turn it over to them if you are incapacitated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts