Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, what do you all do with rounds that fail to fire? I was in Houston this past labor day weekend, my brother-in-law and I went to this new indoor range in League City (new to me anyway) and he had at least two rounds of 9mm that failed to fire (unknown brand, was firing it out of a Kimber Ultra Carry II. The first one we tried to fire again, and again it failed, we set it aside, and then after a couple of more rounds we had another round that failed to fire. This time I just called over the RO and he said that he would take care of them. Don't know why, but I got really nervous handling those rounds after they failed... Any thoughts?

BTW, the indoor range we were at is called the "Arms Room", it was awesome. They have 15 lanes, 5 are reserved for rifle, they also rent, from revolvers to semi-auto pistols, rifles and a few fully automatics! Of course they have a nice shop and an armorer or two. My bro-in-law brought 4 of his pistols, Two Kimber Ultra Carry II's (.40 & .45), a Keltec PF9, a Keltec P3AT and a also his 308. Of course I brought my only child my XDM .40 (which performed flawless as usual!) It was an awesome day ! Can't wait to go back!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Really no need to worry handling them. And every range should have a haz material bucket to drop them in.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
In high school I was the Marksmanship Captain of our mcjrotc program. We used to fire 22Lr ammo. Our Colonel was a retired marine that taught us everything. Well when we were in the range and a round failed to fire. He had us extract the round place it facing the range and leave it there. we would continue to shoot and after a few minutes, he would say its okay to handle, we would either try it again or chuck it.

My .02

·
Registered
503 Posts
Save them and drop off them off at the local crack dealers corner.

OK - OK, I know that is just plain wrong and besides I was only joking...I think.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
They wont really do much out of the gun if they do happen to go off... Mythbusters did an episode on that (heating them to the point of firing)... without being chambered they simply "pop" and dont go anywhere, kind of like a firecracker though in that you wouldnt want to be holding it in your hand!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you reload, get a bullet puller like this.
You can always pull and reuse the bullet and case again.

·
Registered
354 Posts
They wont really do much out of the gun if they do happen to go off... Mythbusters did an episode on that (heating them to the point of firing)... without being chambered they simply "pop" and dont go anywhere, kind of like a firecracker though in that you wouldnt want to be holding it in your hand!!
since the case is lighter than the bullet, if the bullet explodes outside of a gun, the bullet stays in place and the case moves away from the bullet

without a barrel to contain the pressure, the pressure leaks around the bullet and is dissipated quickly and ends in a POP...

so if you have a dud, unload it and keep it unloaded... and get it recycled by somebody who reloads... the bullet is probably worth at least 5-10 cents depending on the caliber and surely somebody in the range will be willing to take it home for reloading components...

just make sure you have a DUD (no primer explosion, cartridge still intact) vs a SQUIB (bullet stuck in barrel) ... the 1st is safe, the 2nd is dangerous

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I reload it again and check to see if the gun was the culprit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts