Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy some .45 acp ammo in bulk and I would also like to try shooting in a couple of ispc matches this next summer and I was wondering what ammo would be best to buy. I'm assuming 230 gr not sure if I should get fmj or maybe semiwadcutter?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am no expert and do not shoot competition (yet) but as far as I know, the semiwadcutter is best used for paper target shooting because it punches a nice hole in the paper as opposed to FMJ which rips through the paper.

I would not have a clue whether or not 230 gr. would be best for competition or not. It is relatively 'standard' for range shooting though.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk dmt. For IDPA I would go with the cheapest ammo you can get that still functions and performs reliably in your gun. Most IDPA shooters load their own. If you are on a budget and don't reload you could consider things like Blazer or commercial reloads.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
For IDPA I would go with the cheapest ammo you can get that still functions and performs reliably in your gun. Most IDPA shooters load their own.
+1. If you are not loading your own, I would get what works best in your pistol and what you are most comfortable shooting. If you have a Wal-Mart near by (who am I kidding)...go to your local Wal-Mart and pick up some Winchester White Box (referred to as WWB). They have hundred-round value packs of .45acp ammo for <$30 per hundred. This is as cheap as you can get for .45acp ammo for the most part without reloading. If that works...stick with it. If not, try some of the other locally available ammo to you and see what you like. Depending on what you find, you may be able to get a slightly better deal buying by the 500 or 1000 round cases online, but remember shipping a 35-40lb case of ammo isn't usually cheap.

For IDPA, 230gr will be fine. You might also try out some 185gr and 200gr ammo if you can find it. Again, what works best for me or anyone else may not be what works best for you. Trial and error until you find a good fit for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts