Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I joined the forum since I'm looking to purchase a new hand gun, I've made my mind up on a Subcompact Glock, ( I own a few other Glocks and Enjoy them thourghly). I currently Carry a Glock 19 and I find its awfully big to be carrying around during the summer and still keep it hidden. The smallest of the glocks (yes I know they have other defined as subcompact but they are still as big as my 19) are chambered in 9mm, 40s&w .357 sig, and 45 GAP. I was looking for a something with a little bit more stopping power then 9mm as now I will also be carrying less shots (Between 6 and 10 vs 16 that I carry now). Would like your thoughts. Also wanted to know if .56 inches in Length and .83 inches in height is going to make a large difference?

Casey

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I joined the forum since I'm looking to purchase a new hand gun, I've made my mind up on a Subcompact Glock, ( I own a few other Glocks and Enjoy them thourghly). I currently Carry a Glock 19 and I find its awfully big to be carrying around during the summer and still keep it hidden. The smallest of the glocks (yes I know they have other defined as subcompact but they are still as big as my 19) are chambered in 9mm, 40s&w .357 sig, and 45 GAP. I was looking for a something with a little bit more stopping power then 9mm as now I will also be carrying less shots (Between 6 and 10 vs 16 that I carry now). Would like your thoughts. Also wanted to know if .56 inches in Length and .83 inches in height is going to make a large difference?

Casey
Welcome to the forum. :)
The subcompacts are not as big as your G19. Any of the subcompacts will be much easier to carry concealed than your G19.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana. I'd go with a G27 in that case.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Welcome.

First off, going up in caliber but switching to a shorter barrel will not give you much of a "step up in power".
Any of the subcompscts are great, but not biomechanically easy if you have large hands. And unless you are a veteran or will be able to practice A LOT, stay aeay from the .357 in a sub gun.
To be pergectly honest, if you cannot conceal a G19, you need a different carry method, NOT a new and smaller handgun. If you want another gun, fine, but you NEED a new holster.
Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, High Noon all make easy concealable belt holsters or superb IWB holsters that are even tuckable!
A BellyBand, Thunderwear, etc... Also help a LOT during the hot summer months when little clothing is worn.
I'm in hot TX, not a fat guy, and easily conceal a Glock 19. A huge fat guy came into the gun shop the other day with a FULLSIZE 1911 in his Crossbreed Supertuck and it was not noticeable at all.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
The difference in length is not much at all. For your choice of caliber you could stick with 9mm. It will work as well as the others with good ammo. The short grip and extra jump of the 40 in that shorter grip will be noticable compared to the 9mm you are used to. I would go 357 before 40 in that size.

On a personal note I would go the G39 route because I have a G37. I will also add it was in the 90s where I am today and humidity was above 60%. I still carried the full size G37. You might want to try a different holster with the G19........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I usually carry the 19 because its smaller than my 21. I like the 21, but its just too big for my hands. I think I do a pretty good job of hiding my 19, but hey If I can get an even smaller one, wouldn't it be that much easier? Currently I use a fobus Paddle hoslter, which I really like. Even with a T-shirt, my 19 is pretty well hidden, but I'm also looking for an excuse to spend money. ;)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Well, you might want to look into something other than a Glock, just to open up the variety of buying something fun.

Just as an overview, going to a higher caliber, but with a shorter barrel doesn't mean you have more stopping power, and the sub Glocks are about as short barreled as they come. Larger calibers like .40, .45, .357 were designed for fullsized guns. With a shorter barrel, the gunpowder does not have a chance to fully burn and you get slower than advertised velocities a nd thus less "power."

Even if you get a little extra power, is that going to be better with only 8 rounds as opposed to 13 rounds? With todays modern ammo design, small calibers like the 9mm do quite well and you get more ammo. Personally I will take 13 rounds of 9mm over 8 rounds of .45 most any day, unless you will carry spare mags, and most people don't.

Do NOT get a .45 GAP, or a .357 sig. The GAP is nearly extinct, hard to find ammo for, doesn't give you hardly any advantage, and defensive JHP's are limited.
The .357 Sig is kind of the same way. However the previos talk of lower velocities is key here. Plus it is a nightmare to hold onto, and harder to hit your target with...unless you practice a LOT. Plus ammo for both is limited ANDvery expensive.

You have a 9mm, I would stick with that. I've owned both the G26 and G27, both are fine handguns, not as accurate as your larger Glocks obviously.

If you go another caliber, get the SF (slim frame), makes a good grip that much easier. And it sounds like you need as small of grip as possible if the G21 is too big for you

And please ditch the psddle by Fobus. For the range it's fine, but not for concealed carry. Nothing like being stressed and having to frantically draw your handgun, and have the holster come out of your pants at the same time.

Good leather by Don Hume, Galco, High Noon, etc...or a Kydex belt holster Blackhawk CQC Serpa is gold. Leather is tight against the body for concealment and comfort ( High Noon is the only leather I will carry), the CQC Serpa has a great retention device that is simple & easy to master!

If you want to try something besides a Glock, now you're talking F. U. N. !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts