Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title reads. I recently purchased a 9mm service model and will be picking it up monday. I will mostly be going to indoor ranges, since I dont think theres many outdoor ranges in the Sacramento area. What all do I need to purchase? Eye and ear protection, targets, ect.

·
Registered
539 Posts
well congrats on teh purchase, i bet ur way anxious to get the gun. Well i didn't go out and buy my ears for a while, and just used the ones at the range... but having a better set of ear muffs definitely rocks. I went through two other pairs of shooting glasses before i could find one that was comfortable for me. As for extra mags, its cool to have extra mags when going shooting with a buddy with one gun, but when i'm by myself, i really only use 2 mags and take my time. Targets, i would say shoot a bunch of different ones until you find ones that you like, then you can buy a bunch of those. I like the reduced size silhouettes.

Ahh... but a real good recommendation would be getting range bag to keep all your crap in. That way you only have to lug around one bag with all your eyes, ears, ammo, mags, gun, cleaning tools, etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah! I am definately very excited and eager. Can you guys suggest a particular brand of eye and ear protection or maybe a place to view a couple? I didnt even think about a bag, but will definately look into it now. What are the stapler and tape for?

·
Registered
539 Posts
TrickyVic said:
Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah! I am definately very excited and eager. Can you guys suggest a particular brand of eye and ear protection or maybe a place to view a couple? I didnt even think about a bag, but will definately look into it now. What are the stapler and tape for?
i think he said the stapler and tape to put up targets but for most indoor ranges i don't think you'll have to worry about bringing either as many have clips or something of the sort to hold the targets for you.

I have some lightning ear muffs that i like alot. It was around 30 for me and i'm glad i got em. I wasn't about to go out and get those $150+ electronic things.... these were good enough for me. I got them at the range, but see them everywhere at all the local gun shops and at the gun shows. What i would suggest is to browse around shops for prices and items that you like and then try to find a local gun show. I woulda saved a bunch of money if i'd picked up all my gear at a show. NOTE: not all booths at shows will give good prices but good place to look. Same goes for cleaning items like brushes, patches, solvent, etc.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Try the local walmart for eyes and ears or a local
safety equipment store .Also pick up 4 or so of the
100rd value packs of winchester white box
ammo and a lockable range box for transporting ammo
to the range.If you go to an outdoor range the stapler will
come in handy for putting up targets.Same for the tape.
Make sure you transport in accordance with Ca state law
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/travel.htm
Do Not transport any loaded mags!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
you need a trip to www.pistolgear.com

1) i-shot range bag (just buy it it's the best)
2) extra mags
3) hks mag loader (fresh xd mags are the worst, just get it)
4) standard eyes,ears,yape,shoot and see targets

loaded mag=loaded gun

that is a no-no!!!!

Have Fun :D :D :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello from the Grass Valley/Nevada City area. I got my ears at Big 5 for $25 or so, my shooting glasses, snap caps, and Blue Wonder cleaning kit from pistol-gear.com, and a "range bag"(duffle bag) from the local Kmart for $10 (it's great, no need to spend $50 on a bag from pistol-gear), and my ammo from ammoman.com and sportsman'sguide.com. You're going to LOVE your new gun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Take your own targets, you can download and print them yourself, but if you buy them at a range it will be expen$ive. At an indoor range I like ear muffs, but I take ear plugs also to wear under them in case there is a magnumitus sufferer in the next lane. Last time I was at target world, there was a guy with a .357 Sig down the line. Ehhh, say what? Tape, spring clips, a pencil or pen, or both. I'm cheap and paranoid so my range bag is a cheap camera bag with adjustable velcro edged partitions. I paid $7.00 for it at Target and it doesn't look like a range bag. I take a couple of the disposable wet nap gun wipes in case I want to clean the gun up to improve functioning. (So far not an issue with my XD.) One nice thing to have is a box of those peel and stick labels like you use to price stuff at a yard sale. Bright orange and green make nice aiming points on your targets and they are cheaper at the five and dime than the special target dot ones they sell at the range.
Have fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I want a better set of ear protection myself. One comment would be that while at a local store two weeks ago I saw some inexpensive plug types that boasted normal hearing and instant shutout of the blast noise. When I checked the decibal reduction it was something like 6. My thought was well you probably get what you pay for. Can't remember the name now but a day after the visit I did and a buddy told me they weren't worth 5 bucks much less the $12.99 they asked for them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just make sure your gun is not loaded when you first arrive, and find out the rules of the range and follow them. Don't point your gun anywhere but down range, I have seen many a noob at my local range waiving their gun to the side to clear a jam or talk to someone next to them,other people at range get very pissed very quick! Just pay careful attention to what you are doing and be mindful of others around you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
for the range bag deal, i bought a $25 bag from my local Turner's that was real nice. I think its made by wolf ammo, but i cut out the stitched label taht said wolf. I like it alot and can't really see myself needing anything much more expensive or larger for my minimal needs. It feets all my gear and i like to keep my bag by my side in the lane instaed of the bench behind me in the indoor lane, so a big bulky bag would be a no no.

Oh and if u do decide u want extra mags or some other xd gear, i also would vouch for pistol-gear.com. Good people.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a few sets of Howard Leight Lightning 29 muffs I paid under $30 apiece for several years back. Very effective and very very comfortable.

I also got a set of clear Uvex safety glasses from someplace and they are quite nice for an inexpensive pair. I use them a lot in my garage shop and they are quite comfortable and free of distortions. They also don't tend to fog up as badly as other pairs I've used.

Since my glasses always tend to get scratched up or lost no matter how hard I try to take care of them, I just buy a few cheap pairs and throw them away when they're too damaged to use.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all the tips. Cant wait, only four more days. Damn, the days just keep getting longer :( . I will definately be ordering some stuff from pistol-gear.

·
Registered
539 Posts
TrickyVic said:
Thank you for all the tips. Cant wait, only four more days. Damn, the days just keep getting longer :( . I will definately be ordering some stuff from pistol-gear.
I know EXACTLY how you feel... i remember couple months back when i was waiting on my xd(my first gun) and all i could do was live off of this website. lol. NOw i'm hooked on the xd and this site. And i'm in a similar situation now as i wait for my USP compact to come in so my wait period can start. It should be arriving tomorrow, but still have that 10day california wait period.

Oh and imo, the best advice overall is save money where you can now and spend it on ammo... cause shooting is addictive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts