Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a new extractor pin from Midway, and I thought that I might as well save on shipping (can't really justify spending that much for shipping for a part that costs $1.19) and just order a bunch of spare parts to keep handy in case anything goes bad on my AR. So what are the parts that have to be replaced most frequently?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I'm ordering a new extractor pin from Midway, and I thought that I might as well save on shipping (can't really justify spending that much for shipping for a part that costs $1.19) and just order a bunch of spare parts to keep handy in case anything goes bad on my AR. So what are the parts that have to be replaced most frequently?

I second this question. Also does it matter the manufacturer of the spare parts that you buy? For instance if I have a CMMG lower and a DPMS lower kit, does it matter that I buy a generic spare parts kit from Cheaper than dirt?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
parts to rebuild your whole BCG
DPMS has a "field repair kit" for the guts of the lower (springs and pins)

a second AR is the best spare parts :lol:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bushmaster also sells a couple different repair kits. They also have a kit for most often lost or misplaced items. Besides laying in a couple of extensive repair kits I have also bought a couple of complete bolt assemblies and a new charging handle just in case.

Depending on what happens after the election, you might need to have the items on hand to keep your ARs up and running on your own as you might not have the choice to take them to a gunsmith for repair. Make sure you have high breakage items on hand along with any special tools you might need to keep them up and running on your own.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I keep an extra bolt and carrier group around along with a couple extra firing pins and additional spare parts to replace the extractors on all of my bolts.

I also keep an extra lower parts kit around and a field repair kit.

I'm working under the assumption that shortly after the election we will no longer have a bill of rights and my carbines will be irreplaceable.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
a second AR is the best spare parts :lol:
I was going to say the spare parts he needed were:

Lower Parts Kit

Bolt Carrier Group

Upper Receiver (complete w/barrel sights and fore end)

Lower Receiver

Stock and Pistol Grip

Or in other words, just build another one.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i would get enought spare parts to build an entirely new gun if you have the funds
or just buy another gun identical to the other

·
Registered
395 Posts
The best spare parts kit, is another AR.;)

Barring that, I'd at least have an entire bolt/carrier group, and a lower parts kit.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
CMMG has a great AR-15 survival kit that has just about everything that you would need in an "emergency" situation with a "broken" AR. It includes an Extractor with Spring insert and pivot pin, 3 gas rings, ejector with spring and pin, cotter pin, firing pin, disconnector with 2 springs, hammer spring and pivot pin, trigger spring and pivot, cam pin. 2 carrier key screws, rear take-down pin with spring and detent, front take-down with spring and detent, and safety spring and detent. It is only around $30-35 and worth the money.

Like many have said, the best backup for a broken AR is another AR. Always a good idea too!

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
PAT ROGERS answers... What parts break most often in a carbine class.

"What we see go down at class falls into these categories.

Wear items
Specifically, extractors and extractor springs.
Bolt rings
Buffer springs

Parts guns
Parts ain't parts. If you get your stuff from gun shows and garage sales, don't expect quality
I had a guy in a recent class bragging on T1 that he built his carbine for $400 and "it is just as good as..." That afternoon it wouldn't extract. The extractor was worn smooth and then re park'd; the extractor spring was flat (no joke) and the insert was just crumbs.
We replaced it all.
On T3 his bolt broke in half.

Hobby guns
Generally ok, but non MPI bolts may not last (we see less problems with breaking lately) and some of the new guns may not work at all. These should not have to be shot in- they should work out of the box.
Chambers are often 223, no matter what is marked on the barrel. When the gun gets hot, extraction slows down.

Worn out guns
Parts wear. Sometimes the guns are just plain shot out- more often, military guns.

Think MEAL
Magazines- serviceable mags
Extractor- serviceable
Ammunition- quality ammo, not garbage
Lube- generous lubrication."

·
Registered
541 Posts
I keep an extra bolt and carrier group around along with a couple extra firing pins and additional spare parts to replace the extractors on all of my bolts.

I also keep an extra lower parts kit around and a field repair kit.

I'm working under the assumption that shortly after the election we will no longer have a bill of rights and my carbines will be irreplaceable.
I agree with you 100% but I believe many are in denial. The storm clouds are forming and gun control like we have never seen is right around the corner. The Democrats know they have a two year window to get the big stuff like gun control done. After that, they could loose their majority in the House and Senate at the midterms.

Expect a new and very restrictive AWB to come out right after the first of the year and it will be a democratic feeding frenzy of one gun control measure after another. With a majority in Congress and Obama as president, they will rape our gun rights like never before. Anyone who believes otherwise is in complete denial.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I agree with you 100% but I believe many are in denial. The storm clouds are forming and gun control like we have never seen is right around the corner. The Democrats know they have a two year window to get the big stuff like gun control done. After that, they could loose their majority in the House and Senate at the midterms.

Expect a new and very restrictive AWB to come out right after the first of the year and it will be a democratic feeding frenzy of one gun control measure after another. With a majority in Congress and Obama as president, they will rape our gun rights like never before. Anyone who believes otherwise is in complete denial.
what about those who believe? they could be considered completely paranoid.:p

·
Registered
760 Posts
I don't want to hijack this guys thread but I will say this:

It's not just denial. It's apathy. The attacks on the 2nd Amendment is only one of many issues that are threatening our way of life. We may well be witnessing the final days of our civilization and no one seems to really care.

How's that for paranoia?:)

If anyone wants more information so they can start doing their own research feel free to drop me a PM.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i didn't read through this so some of it may be a repost,

id say get an extra bolt, its nice to have an extra one just in case. id also pick up a couple of spring kits which will have all the springs for the lower the JP spring kits are nice and are only like $10 also it would never hurt to pick up several Detent springs those things can be a pain in the Ass to install if you ever have to take off the stock or for some odd reason the front detent pin gets twisted up.

also just for good measure add an extra firing pin. if you get the MIAD grip you can actuallly store an extra bolt and firing pin in your pistol grip. mine has extra batteries for my Optic but i do keep an extra bolt and pin in my range bag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts