Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have the cheapo pocket poncho and a sheet of 9x9 painter's plastic to simplify shelter building to stay dry. I live in a part of the country where for a good portion of the year it rains for about 1hr per day every day. Staying dry is a big concern if you're going to be travelling any real distance on foot for a few days.

My primary concern for my setup in this area is that those cheapo ponchos aren't very durable. Is it worth giving up the space to upgrade to the higher quality ($15-20) ponchos? Alternatively I could just toss an extra pocket poncho or two in the BoB and probably still come out ahead on weight and space.

I'm a fairly tall fellow, so length of the poncho is a big consideration.

TIA,
G33k

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I keep my old issued poncho in mine. It's slightly heavier, but worth it for peace of mind. I carry a hammock to keep me off the ground as well.

Btw, I'm assuming your whole bag is water-proofed as well?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep my old issued poncho in mine. It's slightly heavier, but worth it for peace of mind. I carry a hammock to keep me off the ground as well.

Btw, I'm assuming your whole bag is water-proofed as well?
I have a Maxpedition Pygmy falcon 2 which is "water resistant". Should do pretty well for light rain conditions, I keep a couple trash bags handy if I want to cover the entire bag. All of the gear inside the bag is either water proof by its nature or is inside an individual waterproofing thing... For example I keep an extra pair of socks inside a zip-loc bag.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have some good quality rain gear from REI I use while camping along with some other stuff set out by my BOB I can change into and go. For my Get Home Bag I leave packed in the car at all times I went with a $25-30 pants and jacket set from Target's camping section. It is very compact and semi disposable but MUCH thicker than a standard pancho which lets face it sucks. Panchos keep you dry for about 10 minutes before leaking as you move and running down onto your legs and feet. I figure the first time I get a flat tire in a rain storm it will be like gold!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I picked up some Coleman (pretty sure that's the brand) rain suits on closeout at my local Wally World.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
A while back I picked up one of these from ebay-

Military Surplus Rain Poncho | eBay

It works well, does not breath but there are enough openings to keep you cool if needed. Pretty much bomb proof but a little on the heavy side. Not to big on the camo color/pattern.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
I like to keep an umbrella in the vehicles. It is reusable, unlike a poncho.

usually around here, downpours don't happen with cool weather, so its not a major concern. a normal jacket will stop a light rain.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I've got the little cheap plastic ponchos in my BOB, GHB, and in the truck and car. Also, have umbrellas in the vehicles.

I figure they're just supposed to be temporary, and my area is fairly arid anyway. So don't have the super, heavy duty monsoon gear. However, the little pack, with a couple plastic ponchos in it, has come in handy several times at sporting events, and pic-nics, etc, when thunderstorms have rolled in unexpectedly.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on the feedback here I went to Wally World and picked up a Coleman rain suit like this one:

Amazon.com: Coleman 20mm PVC Rain Suit: Sports & Outdoors

I tried it on and it fits great. My only real concern is that my a weight nazi, count every ounce. This thing is heavy as lead. And, of course, it takes up a boat load of space...

For now this guy is in my BoB, but it may be relegated to my car-bag.

On a totally unrelated note, I think I will pair down my first aid kit as well. It's too damn big at the moment. :D

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have an old rubber camo rainsuit that still works pretty well. Wore it recently on a 200 mile ATV trip and managed to stay dry. I also have a pretty good rainsuit I used on my dual sport motorcycle. Worth it's weight in gold. I do have a couple of military ponchos and a couple of old raincoats gathered over the years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts