Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
A few questions first, are you shooting rifled or smooth bore and what is the twist rate in your barrel?

I have a hastings rifle sighted barrel on my 12ga 1187 1:34" twist rate, slower twist rate barrels work best with slower slugs generally 1500fps and below. I have found the best groups with Winchester Super X 3" Sabot 1400fps and Lightfield Hybred EXP 2 3/4" 1450fps. With either of those I can shoot 3 shot groups at 50yds and have the holes touching.

The faster such as the Hornady SST 2000fps generally tend to work better in the faster twist rate(1:24") commonly found in newer slug barrels. A buddy of mine shoots those from his Mossy 930 with the factory slug barrel and loves them.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I shoot Winchester Platinum Tips and so do a couple friends...my father shoots Winchester Partition Golds. Holy shikes do those kick.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Lightfield slugs will cut the same hole at times out of my Remmy 11-87 cantelever barrel. I however cannot get the 3" slugs here anymore so I may start testing the Hornady SST's again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts