Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ive tried all of the brands available at the local sporting goods stores. So far Remington Accutips have done the best for me. Would love to try some Hornady/Lightfields though...

·
Registered
114 Posts
A few questions first, are you shooting rifled or smooth bore and what is the twist rate in your barrel?

I have a hastings rifle sighted barrel on my 12ga 1187 1:34" twist rate, slower twist rate barrels work best with slower slugs generally 1500fps and below. I have found the best groups with Winchester Super X 3" Sabot 1400fps and Lightfield Hybred EXP 2 3/4" 1450fps. With either of those I can shoot 3 shot groups at 50yds and have the holes touching.

The faster such as the Hornady SST 2000fps generally tend to work better in the faster twist rate(1:24") commonly found in newer slug barrels. A buddy of mine shoots those from his Mossy 930 with the factory slug barrel and loves them.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I shoot Winchester Platinum Tips and so do a couple friends...my father shoots Winchester Partition Golds. Holy shikes do those kick.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Lightfield slugs will cut the same hole at times out of my Remmy 11-87 cantelever barrel. I however cannot get the 3" slugs here anymore so I may start testing the Hornady SST's again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts