Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CMMG lower on the way, which should be in later this week. I have all the other tools need, except for the punches. I know I can buy a cheap set online, but I prefer to buy quality tools and I don't want to wait for it to come in. Can someone tell me which size roll pin punches I will need so I make sure I get the correct ones or they are included in the set. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
You dont need an expensive set because you wont be whailing on them hard anyway. I bought a $6.00 set at Harbour Freight tools and still have everyone of them intact. Its a small 6 piece set that goes up to 1/4" size.

I would suggest picking up a roll pin starter punch set as well. Makes starting those pesky little small pins a lot easier.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You dont need an expensive set because you wont be whailing on them hard anyway. I bought a $6.00 set at Harbour Freight tools and still have everyone of them intact. Its a small 6 piece set that goes up to 1/4" size.

I would suggest picking up a roll pin starter punch set as well. Makes starting those pesky little small pins a lot easier.
Thanks, I'll look at the roll pin starter punch. I'm not looking for an expensive set, but when you factor in shipping, I can at least get Craftsmen 6 piece set for the same price ($10-20). And if they break or mushroom I take them back and get new ones!

mvician said:
3/32 and 5/32 IIRC
Exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
well i did mine all three of mine with my home made punches (which are nails of the right size ground flat)

it works for me and not a scratch or a problem. i also use nails on my xds roll pin and it works great.

yea i know its ghetto but i dont want to pay for something i can make.

and good choice on the cmmg

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
haha, I just use a hammer and ram them home with a phillips when they're almost in. Hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some of you guys scare me :shock:
Same here. I learned a long time ago that having the right tool for the job is the way to go. But I can appreciate the creativity and ingenuity of others, so I won't knock em' for using what they've got. But for me I'll spend the money on the tools!

sourpatch45 said:
good choice on the cmmg
Thanks. I couldn't pass on the price. Local dealer wanted $120 for a DPMS or $125 for a CMMG. It was a no brainer! The finish on the CMMG is a lot better in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
some of you guys scare me :shock:
hahaha. To date I've assembled 4 lowers this way, and none have failed.

yet. Mwahahahahaha. The phillips, if anything, stakes the roll pins into the ID of the holes in which they reside.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Same here. I learned a long time ago that having the right tool for the job is the way to go. But I can appreciate the creativity and ingenuity of others, so I won't knock em' for using what they've got. But for me I'll spend the money on the tools!

Thanks. I couldn't pass on the price. Local dealer wanted $120 for a DPMS or $125 for a CMMG. It was a no brainer! The finish on the CMMG is a lot better in my opinion.
When SVTHuh bought his new M1A and brought it over, we needed a punch to knock out the roll pin holding the stripper clip guide, so we could mount the ARMS unit. I used an itty bitty allen wrench that we ended up cutting and gripping with some linesmans. You wanna talk about ghetto! But it worked, now I'm lookin for a punch set as well, and with an AR build looming in my future I appreciate the tips.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Great answers everyone. For whatever it's worth; for building up only one (1) AR-15 rifle, you don't really need much in the name of quality. However, if you want the roll pin punches to last for other fun jobs, it might $pay$ later to buy high quality today.

You will need that dinky roll pin punch for building up that tricky, pesky rear site. (stock A1 or A2) One (1) will get you through for one AR. For building many, you will need several dinky sized roll pin punches as they are tiny and quickly get bent out of shape.

You will need other stuff, but we are talking just roll pin punches here. I for one enjoy intense glee cruising thru those adult man tool stores. It's like Christmas morning. Sorry, I'm rambling. Yeah, you will need ROLL PIN punches. Just buy a nice set and be done with it. HB of CJ :) :) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts