Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is the standard white dot, the red fiber optic and night sights, which would be good for the most shooting situations?

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Here's my analysis:

White dot: Requires most light, bad for low light or dark shooting. (Day only sight)

TFO's: Requires less than white dot sights, but still requires light. (Dawn, Day and Dusk sight)

Night Sights: Works well at day, only sight at night. (Anytime sight)

I was just recently introduced to TFO's, one came on the 870 I just bought, and I was still surprised how much light was needed to see it. Needless to say, I'll be swapping it out for some night sights soon.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Wired, I think you're confusing TFOs with fiber optics. Fiber optics do what you say, and are marketed for low-light visibility. Night sights (tritium sights, that is) glow by themselves.

TFOs have a fiber optic and a tritium vial, hence the "TFO", and are supposed to be for all conditions.

That said, I have some TFOs, and I don't notice a glow unless it's pitch black. But I don't have too many problems seeing the sights in near-dark conditions, so that may be an interaction of the tritium and fiber optics.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There is the standard white dot, the red fiber optic and night sights, which would be good for the most shooting situations?

Are you talking about the sights that SA offers for the XDM? Or other aftermarket models?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anybody bought the night sight paint that goes on the stock white sights? Personally, I am skeptical, but with a few good reports I would reconsider.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Has anybody bought the night sight paint that goes on the stock white sights? Personally, I am skeptical, but with a few good reports I would reconsider.
The paint works to a degree if you follow the instructions. You must take a flashlight and "charge" the sights before you use them at night. It works for a few minutes and then fades. I prefer a plain black rear sight with a tritium front sight.

ranburr

·
Registered
10 Posts
you could always ask the bad guy creeping around your house if he could hang on one minute while you charge up your night sites! HAHA! :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just got some Truglo TFOs for my XD and I like them a lot. They are visible in all conditions, but like carnivorous said they don't really "glow" unless it is very dark (just like tritium night sights). At all other times its really just the fiber optics that are picking up the light. However, I like that they have a different front sight color than the rear which helps line things up faster and focus on the front sight easier. And just in case you're looking for the different colors for TFOs they are green, yellow, ande orange in order from brightest to dimmest. There is no red as its not bright enough. If someone's trying to sell you a red "TFO" its really just fiber optic.

So if you're looking for the best sight for all possible light conditions go with TFOs. If you just want better vision at night go with night sights. And if you shoot mainly during the day, then regular white dot or fiber optic sights will be fine.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
you could always ask the bad guy creeping around your house if he could hang on one minute while you charge up your night sites! HAHA! :D

HAHA!?????????:confused:

You don't "charge up" tritium night sites.
They glow for 10 to 12 years on their own...

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=7

Meprolight | Electro Optical and Optical Sights

TRUGLO - The World's Most Advanced Line of Fiber Optic Sights

And to the OP, I would suggest Trijicon or Meprolights.
I think the TFOs are too big, but a lot of members love them....

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think he was talking about the "night sight paint", which is essentially glow in the dark paint, which needs to be charged.

·
Registered
373 Posts
HAHA!?????????:confused:

You don't "charge up" tritium night sites.
They glow for 10 to 12 years on their own...

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=7

Meprolight | Electro Optical and Optical Sights

TRUGLO - The World's Most Advanced Line of Fiber Optic Sights

And to the OP, I would suggest Trijicon or Meprolights.
I think the TFOs are too big, but a lot of members love them....
My TFOs don't seem to be any bigger than the plain night sights to me, but I could be wrong. They are more fragile than plain tritium sights though because they are open on top (which is necessary for the fiber optics to work), but I haven't had any problems. I was seriously considering the Meprolights but they were backordered and a little more expensive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm looking around also for sights on my XD 9MM.Looks like i'll be looking for some more info on the Trijicon and Meprolights before buying.I'd like also to get a set for my XDM .40 but i guess one at a time to make sure i'm happy with them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm looking around also for sights on my XD 9MM.Looks like i'll be looking for some more info on the Trijicon and Meprolights before buying.I'd like also to get a set for my XDM .40 but i guess one at a time to make sure i'm happy with them.

Check out the dawson sights for your M.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Go to the .45ACP Discusison Room here and look for "Night sight recommendations" It was a thread I started to get info on night sights for an XD. There are good pics and info on Trijicons, Meprolights and TFOs. It might be helpful to you, it was for me.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
TruGlo TFOs are good in most any light, but the large dot makes for accuracy issues, for me at least. I have Trijicons and Mep and don't really see a difference. I did have a pair of Meps go bad after just a few months after buying them on a Kimber, so I tend to stick to Trij. I like the TFOs but would like to see them in .50 or .40 diameter.

My favorite sights, though not so good in low light, are the Dawson Precision sights. Fixed, target, wide notch rear, .125 width front, with green inserts. But that's not a carry gun. All of my carry guns have NS and I'd go with the Dawsons.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Wired, I think you're confusing TFOs with fiber optics. Fiber optics do what you say, and are marketed for low-light visibility. Night sights (tritium sights, that is) glow by themselves.

TFOs have a fiber optic and a tritium vial, hence the "TFO", and are supposed to be for all conditions.

That said, I have some TFOs, and I don't notice a glow unless it's pitch black. But I don't have too many problems seeing the sights in near-dark conditions, so that may be an interaction of the tritium and fiber optics.
Dang it. I am. I always do that. It's the "FO" that throws me off. Thanks for the catch.

·
Registered
291 Posts
TruGlo TFOs are good in most any light, but the large dot makes for accuracy issues, for me at least. I have Trijicons and Mep and don't really see a difference. I did have a pair of Meps go bad after just a few months after buying them on a Kimber, so I tend to stick to Trij. I like the TFOs but would like to see them in .50 or .40 diameter.

My favorite sights, though not so good in low light, are the Dawson Precision sights. Fixed, target, wide notch rear, .125 width front, with green inserts.

The dawsons are what I am leaning towards. Wide Notch tritium rear, tritium front. Gives you no white dots on the back site, but a white outline around the tritium vile on the front site to draw your eyes to it in the daytime. Plus, they look identical to the stock Xdm sights in pictures.

If anyone has the dawson fixed sites on their Xdm, could you post pics?

·
Registered
162 Posts
My favorite sights, though not so good in low light, are the Dawson Precision sights. Fixed, target, wide notch rear, .125 width front, with green inserts. But that's not a carry gun. All of my carry guns have NS and I'd go with the Dawsons.

Sounds like the Dawsons is what i'm looking for.Wanting something not so big.Still going to do a little more research on it before buying.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Here's my analysis:

TFO's: Requires less than white dot sights, but still requires light. (Dawn, Day and Dusk sight)
I disagree. Straight fiber optics require light. TFOs have tritium behind the fiber and do great in the dark. I find them easier to see in the daylight than night sights and just as good in the dark with one change. TFOs use yellow in the back and they will be dull so your eye will be drawn to the brighter green front dot.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Take a Geiger counter and hold the detector next to your tritium (T) sights listening to the rapid ticking. The sights glow since there is RA material present just as new un-burned mantels for a Coleman lantern will show activity with a Geiger counter. Since tritium gives off beta particles the radiation will not pentrate your skin. The RA from tritium is only dangerous when ingested or inhaled. I suggest those with tritium sights to keep their relationship with their guns purely platonic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts