Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99% sure I will be buying xdm45 and was wondering if its worth the extra money to have the night sights. i am going to assume most people will say no but i wanted to check first. in my experience, i don't really care at all.

oh and is the bitone worth extra cash too?

·
Registered
616 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the forum!

I have the Trijicon night sights on my XD9sc, and it is most definetly worth the extra cash. If you have the money to spend on them, buy them!

Why would you assume most people would say no? The only reason I would say no, is if you are straped for cash, and your not using this gun for HD... Even then, I think I would save up for them because I love the night sights.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I would assume most would say yes. If its going to be a home defense or a carry gun I would highly recommend night sights.
Many may say yes, but I'm going to disagree. If it's so dark that you can't see your sights, it's probably dark enough that you can't adequately identify your target.

I fully realize the above statement will most likely derail this thread into a "no one should be in my house after dark so I'm going to shoot anything that moves" morass ... and I apologize in advance.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Many may say yes, but I'm going to disagree. If it's so dark that you can't see your sights, it's probably dark enough that you can't adequately identify your target.

I fully realize the above statement will most likely derail this thread into a "no one should be in my house after dark so I'm going to shoot anything that moves" morass ... and I apologize in advance.
I think there could be plenty of instances where you could be in a low light situation but can still see your target. Or if you're in a dark area and your target is in a well lit area. You never know whats going to happen in a SD situation. Night sights are just one more advantage IMO. A huge one at that...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well the use for the handgun is this:

home defense
range
concealed carry (but not that often)

back to the sights, sounds like i should get one without and invest in some after market ones?

and for the bitone?

·
Registered
616 Posts

Ever sit in your room at night with the TV on? Plenty of light to see a dark figure, but not enough to see your sights very well. The Trijicon take care of that problem. :D

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

home defense
range

back to the sights, sounds like i should get one without and invest in some after market ones?

and for the bitone?
Personally I would just go all black. My buddy just picked up a bitone a few days ago and it looks great. I think its just a personal preference.

·
Registered
616 Posts

home defense <----
range
concealed carry (but not that often) <----

and for the bitone?
Those two answers make me say get 'em! They look like regular sights during the day, but if you need them at night, they light up real nice. I paid $40 for my night sights because they came on the gun when I bought it (brand new). If I had waited and bought them seperatly they would have been about $90. I say get them because since your thinking about it, you could regret not getting them. If you did get them, you would have no reason to regret it.

I don't have a bi-tone so I can't really help you on that one.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Or even walking around at night. The moon gives off enough light for you to see a figure, but not your sights very well. I've actually got plans of doing a bunch of night shoots here real soon to get more used to my Trijicons.

To the OP, sorry for so many posts. I just felt the same way you did in the beginning. Should I spend the extra money?? Now, I am SO glad that I did.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i didn't like bitone in the pictures but in person its really, really nice ... but then again i love all black too.

ugh decisions decisions

$45 more for the bitone puts the xdm45 bitone at $606 and the all black at $561 ... i think i will get sights later on

·
Registered
942 Posts

home defense
range

and for the bitone?
Get your dealer to order you one with night sights already installed. Its a pain to install sights on XD's and u will probably have to ship the slide out for install.
IMO Bi-Tone isnt worth extra money but i got my bi tone for the same price as black.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'll be getting night sights for my XDM very soon. It will be used for the same reasons as yours. Mainly home defense and lots of range shooting, possibly CCW.

I have a very hard time seeing the stock sights at night, which is most likely when I'd have to use the gun for home defense. And even if you don't absolutely need them, I'd still rather have them and be safe. It would really suck to be in a situation where your life or family's life depended on you making an accurate shot in the dark but you didn't feel like spending that extra $$ for night sights and now you cant even see where you're aiming.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There's no real advantage in choosing a bi-tone over black. It's all a matter of personal preference. I chose the bi-tone since they had it on sale for the same price as the black XD.

My XD9 is primarily kept for home defense and I can sure tell the difference in transitioning my aim in low light conditions.

You can purchase an XD45 with Trijicon sights as an extra option or you can have one installed at a later time but you'll be saving up more if you get one that has it already.

For range practice factory ammo... I often use Sellier & Bellot and PMC. Cheap but reliable.

Here's a few pictures of my Bi-tone XD9 with Truglo TFOs

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Ever sit in your room at night with the TV on? Plenty of light to see a dark figure, but not enough to see your sights very well. The Trijicon take care of that problem. :D
Yes, I have experience with low-light situations including military and civilian training in shooting in low light - all without night sights. My military training was all prior to the existence of night sights.

In defensive shooting situations, I rarely use my sights in a traditional sense. I point shoot.

Night sights are pretty until they start to fade. Then they're just sights. :)

YMMV

1 - 20 of 52 Posts